MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HU87

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by HU87 »

WELCOME EP!! This is a huge get, and as mentioned earlier, will help fill the type of role that Ameen plays for our squad. EP is apparently an undersized, but gritty 3 who needs to take his outside shot to the next level, which is a lot like Tanksley in his earlier days. I do totally agree that we need to focus some recruiting on filling tanksley's minutes, which would be best through JC or grad students. However, EP will need to be a contributor on Day 1, which I'm sure was part of the attraction to HU for him.

This is an exciting first recruit-- Can't ask for much more than a legit 3-star recruit, directly plucked from your competitions finger tips. Hoping to see even more great news over the next few weeks.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

I get the feeling Pemberton could be our only High School recruit of 2016. I feel like there hasn't been a player were really going hard after in the class that's still uncommitted now. I can't see Ohams coming here with his other offers. Yes, location is a factor but unlike pemberton (Buie) there doesn't seem to be anyone he is close with on the team. Plus the biggest hole next season will be at the 3 and well need someone who can come in and play instantly. I'd expect to see a transfer or JC player come in. If we do go the high school route then we'd probably have to put Robinson at the 3 which I don't think the staff is comfortable doing.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Agree that the rest of the scholarships should absolutely be used on wings. You lose all three of them next year (Ameen, Koon, Nichols) in a system where Joe loves to use two at a time and even use them in place of bigs at times. While having both Gustys and Sabety may allow them to use two bigs at a time and maybe you only need one wing (although that would change the way he has always set up a lineup), they still need to make wings a big priority.
garyg

Post by garyg »

With 4 schollies left I would use two on the 3/wing/SF position and try to use one on a 4 that can also play 5 when called upon...keep the last scholly open for potential transfer/grad student
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ohams will be a tough one to get, kid has absolutely blown up - already multiple quality A10 offers, and interest from some big boys - going to UConn midnight madness

Grew 7 inches in a YEAR, and still maintained his guard skill set - picture a 6'7 Loren Stokes :shock: :!:

He is still a bit raw so it's not completely impossible, but HUGE potential - basically a clear route to NBA with some development - 3* now, but may end up higher if he holds till spring, who knows

HU was of course on him early, but not sure how much of a look he's giving

Of the 5 schollies I actually expect 2 to be HS and the other 3 a combo of juco/transfer - still think there's 1 more 4 yr guy out there for them...they do have some offers to other 6'5-6'7 guys so let's see how it plays out - I do want 1 more spot filled this signing period though, regardless of the source
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Ohams will be a tough one to get, kid has absolutely blown up - already multiple quality A10 offers, and interest from some big boys - going to UConn midnight madness

Grew 7 inches in a YEAR, and still maintained his guard skill set - picture a 6'7 Loren Stokes :shock: :!:

He is still a bit raw so it's not completely impossible, but HUGE potential - basically a clear route to NBA with some development - 3* now, but may end up higher if he holds till spring, who knows

HU was of course on him early, but not sure how much of a look he's giving

Of the 5 schollies I actually expect 2 to be HS and the other 3 a combo of juco/transfer - still think there's 1 more 4 yr guy out there for them...they do have some offers to other 6'5-6'7 guys so let's see how it plays out - I do want 1 more spot filled this signing period though, regardless of the source
I will also be a lot more patient with the remaining schollies if we sign another spot soon. I think the right one hit wonders (like Upshaw and Koon) happen to fit into a program like Hofstra when you have so many developmental true freshman. All that said, I like the balance of the program, realizing that this year we are taking our biggest hit of graduating talent. But this classes graduating talent are the players, key players that came here in our most desperate time of need and gave us our foundation that this staff is building on. JAM and his staff has proven to me he was the right guy in our darkest hour.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

If Hofstra goes to JUCO route then they should look at Miami Dade CC. They have Dalen Traure 6ft9 230 from the Ivory Coast or Paulis Zabilevicius 6ft8 220 from Lithuiania. They are a solid program.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Florida has 4 or 5 really strong JUCO programs....I recall JAM mentioning he was on a recruiting trip down there not too long ago looking at JUCO players
Polito

Post by Polito »

seems to be very tough to find any info/leads on anything HU has done/is doing in JUCO recruiting, been digging and can't seem to find any crumbs leading to who they're looking at - I know they are, so anyone have any info from little 'birdies' ??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Do we know if there were any recruits at Midnight Madness...I could not make it
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Point Guard Dondre Griffin is deciding between us and 5 other schools on Halloween. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go to Western Kentucky and shocked if he comes here but anything is possible. Not sure we're the right fit for him and vice versa tho.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Why WKU?
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Andersjorstad wrote:Why WKU?
Strong feeling I have. Recent visit which he seemed to enjoy and he's a top priority for them. Also they're in a higher conference than his other options and he has potential to get early playing time. If I had to put odds on it id say 65% wku 15% Murray state and then the rest split between the other 4
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone have any ideas what frontcourt players are seriously considering Hofstra ??
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone have any ideas what frontcourt players are seriously considering Hofstra ??
garyg

Post by garyg »

HF101....anymore inside info on recruits like you had with EP ???
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

garyg wrote:HF101....anymore inside info on recruits like you had with EP ???
Haven't heard anything recently. Don't know of any visits scheduled coming up soon. Closest thing I have to inside info would be that Griffin is almost 100% not coming to Hofstra
garyg

Post by garyg »

Isn't a former Hofstra coach an assistant there now or is that Eastern Kentucky ?
VCUfan

Post by VCUfan »

Just wanted to come in and say congrats on EP! I think he's at least an A-10 level player and he looks like he could be a real force in the CAA. Looking forward to watching him do his thing! Nice pick-up with Green graduating. This kid looks to be a similar player and that's a great thing for the Pride.

Will be following the program with great interest. If the A-10 expands and we can somehow find a way to get Fordham to go to the Patriot League, Hofstra has always been one of my top expansion candidates. Siena thinks they're heir-apparent, but I'm not so sure.

Good luck to you all this season, hoping you guys get the monkey off your backs and go dancing again in March.
Last edited by VCUfan on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Saw Joe M at the Hall of Fame dinner yesterday and he mentioned that he is going down to FLA within the next couple of days to visit several JC kids....I'm sure there are plenty of kids they are recruiting who do not make the lists on Verbal Commits, etc.