MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
VCUfan

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by VCUfan »

Polito wrote:Great news, looking forward to the insight of how it goes!

And I've been checking out the Tribe boards a bit recently related to EP, and its absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense SOME of their fans are posting in regards to HU - no clue what they're deal is, where all this hate for HU came from, but some of them are completely delusional about their program

Felt like they were talking about UVA at times with how high on a pedestal they put their program compared to HU

I, and to my knowledge MOST HU fans, have nothing against W&M - super academic school, nice little program that seems to do things the right way, and I have a lot of respect for the job their staff is doing there with both recruiting and results

But my goodness, some tribe folks need to take a step back - why would EP come to HU?? Is that a for real question?? LOL how about why the heck would he go to W&M?? I mean really...c'mon now - I pointed this out earlier - the REALITY is that W&M has ZERO college ball pedigree - N O N E. we all know the big fat 0 for NCAA's, but they need to come back to Earth and realize that in their best yr during the modern era with their best player in the modern era, it took double OT and an absolute PRAYER PLAY to beat HU - and that HU team was a mid pack squad, not the best in the modern era- and as POP mentioned, still didn't get it done. Ain't getting any easier this yr without ol Thornton.

And oh speaking of him, is he on an NBA roster? (I know the answer, mates) Because I would bet the farm if he starred for HU like he did for W&M, he would have been, akin to CJ getting his shot right out of the gate - and in my humble yet accurate opinion, that's a benefit HU and the NY market offers.

And the haters can try to hate all they want, but the REALITY is that HU is a super mid program, top notch facilities, an actual history in bball, perfect location for that sport, national media coverage when they're good because of it, postseason play and NCAA appearances (albeit not VCU but at least SOMETHING), and have put players to the next level, ESP guards

I REALLY hope HU beats the ever living crap out if them this yr - I want them absolutely BURIED. Pretty annoyed at the complete lack of respect for a true competitor some of the W&M fans have displayed this offseason. Pls DESTROY them this yr fellas - thank you.

No real dog in this fight, but I think calling Hofstra 'a super mid program' is at the very least a mild exaggeration given the Pride haven't been to the NCAAs in almost 15 years. I don't think St. Bonaventure is a super mid either but they've got a better pitch with Andrew Nicholson being a recent first rounder currently in the NBA, having been to the NCAAS in 2012, and playing in the A-10. I agree W&M talking basketball smack is rather amusing but it's not like Hofstra is a no-brainer either. Lots of potential given the market and investment in a practice gym is nice, but Mihalich is largely selling a vision of what could be as opposed to what is. He'd help any of the 3 programs... but I don't think any are head and shoulders over the others which is borne out by how tough the decision seems to be for him to make.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ok, let's get some feedback here!! REALLY want to see his commit to HU coming out of this visit

3 days seems long enough for him to shoot around with the team, work with the staff on the game plan to develop him into a CAA champ and NBA draft pick, get 1-1 time with the current one in Green, get the full campus and facility tour, AND of course meet with an advisor to get his schedule all setup for next yr :D :D :D

FYI, some other guys are off the board...just recently HU offers have committed to URI, Providence, South Fl, ODU, Harvard, UTEP, and GW, and Mitchell is down to Witchita St, Utah St, and Central Mich - and that's just in the last couple of weeks, many more went to other high quality teams/conferences

I'd say our fellas are going after great impact talent - anyone remember the days when we would lose (yes LOSE) recruits to half of the NEC?? :roll:

Different day for HU Basketball - granted, HU needs to LAND guys, but they have and they will for this class too - they're competing with some bigger programs now, so it takes more effort - and for the time being they're really doing it all on the vision as has been mentioned - it's just a matter of time folks... the great news is that HU finally has a staff going after REAL talent
garyg

Post by garyg »

We need to land 2 guys this fall...they need to be impact players at our level [Pemberton]...I think you will see Pemberton play at mid-major level even though he may have potential to play at higher level...need 2 guys and then JAM and staff can fill other 3 schollies in spring
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Pemberton and Antwan Walker is my wish list.
Cards

Post by Cards »

my wish list is Pemberton and Ohams
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Ohams will be a huge get for Us but I think he will go higher.

But keep hope alive.
Cards wrote:my wish list is Pemberton and Ohams
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

More from the W&M peanut gallery… Who do these people think they are? Sarcasm or not, this is just plain disrespectful. There's a fine line between the normal bashing that occurs on message boards, and being flat out rude. They're acting like W&M is the greatest school in the world, both academically and athletically, and Hofstra is some second-rate community college. They're also making fun of our coach in a few posts after these. Completely class-less.

"Elijah Pemberton. You will have a better basketball experience at William & Mary and a William & Mary degree will be of more value than a Hofstra degree in your future (not to mention you are more likely to get a degree @ William & Mary).
We understand that you want to evaluate all of your options and applaud that. Once you look at them all logically, William & Mary will look even better. Look closely at the character the William & Mary coaches and players and you will see the difference it makes.
We, your fans at William and Mary will show you Southern Hospitality that is missing at Hofstra."
http://csnbbs.com/thread-694821-post-12 ... id12495030

"Dear Hofstra Fans,
No one here cares what you think. I didn't even know you had a messageboard (wait, are you still on the hurting caazone?). Hofstra is lucky to be in the CAA...you were only invited because of football and you shut the door on that program because you're nothing more than a bunch of welching jerks. Elijah wants more than you can offer. He wants a quality, competitive program from a school with elite academics. 3-0 against you last year, more than a cup of coffee in the CAAT, and a tournament appearance should explain very clearly that our men's basketball program is superior to yours. How's that for Southern Hospitality?"
http://csnbbs.com/thread-694821-post-12 ... id12495290

1. Better basketball experience? Not if he actually wants to go to the NCAA tournament, something our coach knows how to do and has done.
2. I'm willing to bet that Hofstra grad and W&M grads probably make about the same amount of money for the same jobs.
3. Why wouldn't he get a degree from HU? That makes no sense.
4. Character of coaches and players? Don't worry, he's spent time with ours too. Mr. Skip Prosser Man of the Year.
5. No one cares what we think? Clearly do guys do, since at least 1 W&M fan admitted to reading our message board, which means they know it's not on CAAZone.
6. If the CAA only wanted us for football, we would've been kicked out upon dropping it. Let's look at other fall sports… Hofstra is currently 3-0 against the tribe, including our volleyball sweeping them.
7. EP wants more than we can offer? What do they have that we don't? We have a beautiful new practice facility, a coach who's taken multiple teams to the NCAA tournament, our last NBA draft pick actually played in the NBA (the only reason he did not right out of college is because of the NBA lockout, not because he wasn't good enough), we have an assistant coach who's won it all in the NBA coming from Hofstra, and two assistants who were former NBA scouts (Speedy and Akbar Waheed), which in the long run could help him get drafted since those coaches still have connections with the teams they were scouts for.

Feel free to add more points here.

I'm clearly ranting here, but i'm sick of their bashing and idiocy.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

8. Flying Dutchmen Fans message board RULEZ!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Clearly if W&M was so superior he would have kept his original commitment to them...NO? This all goes back to that CAA Southern Bias and W&M is the only VA school left in the CAA which tells you something as well...NO ONE ELSE WANTED THEM! As far as basketball is concerned Hofstra is by far the better choice...Better chance of making the NCAA's FAR MORE EXPOSURE IN a much BIGGER and better market...and coaching by a staff that will LET HIM PLAY and display his talents rather than a stodgy old Princeton style offense designed to bore you to death...It also doesn't hurt that he will be tutored by SPEDDY CLAXTON who has played and succeeded in the NBA...GO JOE GET THIS GUY
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

JMU is a Virginia school too. But I don't see why this all matters. They don't like us, whoopdeedoo. Let's move on and play some basketball.
Polito

Post by Polito »

VCUfan, just saw your post, sorry for the late reply.

No real argument to your points, understood and fair - BUT my comment and stance on the quality of HU as an athletic department is not just talking about basketball, it is the OVERALL PROGRAM - not knocking you, but I think you are overly focused on bball being a VCU guy, and probably took my post to be specific to that sport - wasn't meant to be

And when we're talking about overall athletic programs, how they are run, the quality of production, students that are actually STUDENT-ATHLETES and graduate, clean run, etc. etc. I have said this and stand by it for YEARS: HU is one of the best overall mid-major athletic programs around. Not over-inflating, there are plenty of areas to improve like all schools. But if you really look at it, the weaknesses make it even more impressive - located in a pro-market, fans support that needs improvement, limited budget, a smaller midsize school, etc. They have super facilities, and they put out some serious talent across the major sports - and for the most part, they WIN - this fall season has been tremendous for every single sport - and when HU had football, they put out NFL talent nearly EVERY single year

I'm just saying that HU really puts out a top quality product when you consider all things, and I think that is quite a fair assessment - if you think I'm homering, lol, well you don't know me too well! I am the first to stand up and voice displeasure when things don't go as I believe they should (i.e. mens lax). I'm also not someone who doesn't know anything - I worked in the athletics office for some of my time at HU, directly in the bball office for Jay Wright. I had regular interaction with all staff at that time, from Tom Ryan (wrestling), to Gardi (football), to Fran Kalafer (volleyball), and so on... just noting there is some credibility here. 8-)

As for the W&M nonsense, whoever posted that sounds like one of the following:

1. A 13 yr old just figuring out puberty and how to use a keyboard
2. An angry old man lost in the past of his disappointing life
3. A psychopath
4. A clown

That post is complete horsesh!t and doesn't even deserve the minimal acknowledgement I've given it - and if I was EP reading something like that, W&M would be the LAST PLACE ON EARTH I would want to play ball at.

So keep it going Tribe, at this rate your schools educational credentials won't be enough to trump the bad seed fans that are making total ass-clowns out of themselves and your program. Some banter is fun, but this is getting to a level that is embarrassing - so therefore, I won't be adding anymore to it. I am passionate, but not a mumbling idiot like I'm seeing. I much prefer to represent HU the right way - may be the best man win, whoever that is.

EP is very solid player with a huge ceiling and will be a major asset to whoever he chooses. That said, it takes a team. I have FULL confidence in HU's staff and players to put a winning product on the floor and to take this program to the top where it belongs. And OOOOHHH BOY do I look forward to the games against the Tribe this year. I'd say our fellas have all the motivational reading material they need.

See ya on the court Tribe.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Andersjorstad wrote:JMU is a Virginia school too. But I don't see why this all matters. They don't like us, whoopdeedoo. Let's move on and play some basketball.
Same boat as W&M no on else wants them
VCUfan

Post by VCUfan »

Polito wrote:VCUfan, just saw your post, sorry for the late reply.

No real argument to your points, understood and fair - BUT my comment and stance on the quality of HU as an athletic department is not just talking about basketball, it is the OVERALL PROGRAM - not knocking you, but I think you are overly focused on bball being a VCU guy, and probably took my post to be specific to that sport - wasn't meant to be

And when we're talking about overall athletic programs, how they are run, the quality of production, students that are actually STUDENT-ATHLETES and graduate, clean run, etc. etc. I have said this and stand by it for YEARS: HU is one of the best overall mid-major athletic programs around. Not over-inflating, there are plenty of areas to improve like all schools. But if you really look at it, the weaknesses make it even more impressive - located in a pro-market, fans support that needs improvement, limited budget, a smaller midsize school, etc. They have super facilities, and they put out some serious talent across the major sports - and for the most part, they WIN - this fall season has been tremendous for every single sport - and when HU had football, they put out NFL talent nearly EVERY single year

I'm just saying that HU really puts out a top quality product when you consider all things, and I think that is quite a fair assessment - if you think I'm homering, lol, well you don't know me too well! I am the first to stand up and voice displeasure when things don't go as I believe they should (i.e. mens lax). I'm also not someone who doesn't know anything - I worked in the athletics office for some of my time at HU, directly in the bball office for Jay Wright. I had regular interaction with all staff at that time, from Tom Ryan (wrestling), to Gardi (football), to Fran Kalafer (volleyball), and so on... just noting there is some credibility here. 8-)
No worries, wasn't trying to flame. I like a good respectful exchange between knowledgeable fans and there are some good ones here. I don't really have any qualms with your post, although VCU is far from a one-trick pony even though basketball is our admitted focus (we won 5 A-10 championships last year). I just think for Pemberton he wouldn't really be too concerned with anything other than the basketball program wherever he goes. Hofstra has always been a good overall athletic program. W&M has been as successful or more successful than any other CAA school when it comes to success in the olympic sports though overall, which includes when the Big 3 VA schools were in the league. Generally the knock on that is that the casual fan doesn't care about sports other than basketball and football in most cases. I don't think your average basketball recruit cares either to be honest. They wanna go where they can do the best they can in the sport of focus and achieve the most individual and team success.

Hofstra has good things going for it (market, coaches who've been in or around the NBA, good facilities, had a guy drafted a couple of years ago who had a cup of coffee in the league) but the Pride also hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament recently enough for any kid they're recruiting now to remember or care about. W&M has the best academics and a pretty good basketball program nowadays with a kid who just got drafted this year. Honestly you're both in the same boat in that you have good programs that haven't gotten over the hump and broken through to the NCAA tournament yet, but look to be on your way. Mihalich is a good coach, and believe it or not, so is Tony Shaver, he kicked ass in D3 and can x & o with the best of them... and he got Marcus Thornton to come there which is one of the biggest mid-major recruiting coups in recent memory. They have disadvantages historically, institutionally, and logistically and he's built a program that looks like it's going to be top 4 year-in and out in the new CAA. Pemberton wouldn't have committed to W&M over Hofstra and others to begin with if he didn't think they had some really good things to sell. I don't know if St. Bona is seriously in the picture or not, but they have a regular multi-bid league, superior TV package, a recent first-round draftee who is actually playing in the NBA, a conference tournament in NYC, and a recent NCAA appearance as well... but they're also in Olean. All 3 schools have real good things to sell and I can see why he didn't just announce after the visit. He's got a lot to consider. Obviously he looks like a good kid who could have a great career in the CAA.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

VCUfan brings up some good points here. Yes, we know that the Pride are on the upswing, and judging from W&M's boards, they might be a little concerned about it. But we haven't won anything, and until we prove that we can bring consistent success and exposure for potential recruits, we're not in a position to assume it's a no-brainer choice. To me, the only team with room to talk this year is the defending CAA champs. Everyone else has to prove their worth, including us and W&M. I think Coach Joe is making big moves, he's clearly a charismatic guy, and I'm excited to see where this year takes us. This class is important, but the next class is HUGE and nothing will be a better recruiting tool than a 24+ win year and a berth in the Dance. Hell, if Juan'ya plays like a maniac this year Joe may even be able to point to an NBA draft pick as a sign of his success. I'm very excited to see where we go, and I think we have reason to be optimistic. Is it November yet??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Based on the above posts, I guessing that EP down to a three school list (HU, W&M, St Bon)? Is that correct?
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Cards wrote:Based on the above posts, I guessing that EP down to a three school list (HU, W&M, St Bon)? Is that correct?
my understanding it is those three - but you never know
Polito

Post by Polito »

VCUfan, appreciate your take and again I'm in agreement with almost all - I have respect for the W&M program nd what they're doing, how they're doing it, and happen to agree Shaver is a very good coach and fit for them

Quite honestly for the life of me I can't figure out where all the hate for HU from the Tribe is coming from... To my know,edge most HU fans feel no ill will toward them whatsoever - matter of fact that team really had no major place in any HU fans life until the phenomenal CAAT game - neither team has had much impact on the other for yrs until that

But from our perspective this is just par for the course in the CAA - it's been nothing but constant hate and VA bias from day 1, so I think at this point considering the makeup of the conf that nonsense has worn out - doesn't apply anymore - and hate coming from a program that has accomplished next to nothing in its history makes absolutely no sense

Alas, here's how I see it - admittedly I carry bias, but so be it, just my opinion:

St Bona: I don't see them as a major player here - they have plenty of young guards, doesn't seem like he's been a focus, and they seem to be strongly targeting some Canadian players - nice program, multi bid conf as noted, and tourney in NY which is a plus for his fam, but I just don't see that as the desired place for an aspiring pro player - think their location really hurts that aspect

W&M: solid staff, solid direction for program, superior academics - but here is the FACT: there is ZERO pedigree there - don't care how pissy they get, this isn't up for debate or opinion - when you have NEVER made the tourney, EVER, you have no tradition to speak of, period - yes, they went 3-0 against HU one yr, that is a plus, BUT I still think that hurts - and the location isn't terrible, but not the best for media attention and def not for his fam - agree he could have a strong Thornton like career all the same, just a couple of issues I see

HU: this is where we will disagree slightly - to me, this is the no-brainer choice - strong staff that has completely transformed a briefly troubled program to a conf contender in just the 2nd yr, strong program getting even stronger in just yr 3, superior facilities to other 2, THE market, academics that are actually quite good, and yes regardless of any HU hate has at least some pedigree - yes it's been 15 yrs which isn't good, BUT there's a BIG diff between 15 yrs and FOREVER - and a member of that tourney team and former NBA CHAMPION is on staff - the location is right for his NY upbringing, media attention, and his fam to see every game - he will learn from another likely pro in Green, and HU landed a TOP PG in '15 to dish him the rock in Buie - and he will be developed by a staff that has proven the ability to do so - HU has become a showcase for top pro guard talent nearly every single yr, even when they are a bad team lol - this situation is quick frankly perfect for a player like him

Just my 2 cents tho - could see this going any number of ways, maybe not been to any of these 3!!!
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Tweet from EP, not sure it's related to his recruiting.

Smooth Cruise O.D ‏@pemcruise25 3h3 hours ago
Stressed but grateful.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

AWFULLY quiet on the recruiting front. Getting a bit "antzy"
Polito

Post by Polito »

Quite... but let's let October play out here - it's excruciating, but I think there are big things on the horizon - fingers crossed