Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
garyg

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by garyg »

Coach says we are close on a number of players, just have not landed anyone yet
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Hope it's not a close but no cigars type news.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

I hope something comes soon.
I think a mix of (experience) JUCO and (developmental) HS Grads is a perfect match for this roster and what we will be losing. With the emphasis being on landing some scoring big guards/small forwards type to replace the 2016/17 open spots - Tanksley, Nicols and Koon (Robinson will be the only returning player for that postion). I think with small guard - Berardi, Buie Powers - there is less urgency and even less of a need at the big men slot for the 2016/17 as we will still have 3 - Gustys, Walker and Sabaty - with 2 years left after this season.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Agreed a 6ft5 to 6tf7 player or players who have some inside outside potential.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

I think the staff is realistic with what to expect in this early signing period. The fact of the matter is that, to these high school seniors and JCs, we're a rebuilding mid-major with potential. Our staff knows that and knows that it's not the strongest recruiting pitch. What I LOVE, however, is that we're in the conversation for some real talent, even with our current resume. JM and his staff deserve the credit for that, as not every kid is going to realize our potential and commit on that alone.

To that point, JM and staff would probably agree with me that the key to this year's recruiting is being in the right conversations with the right recruits now, and then WINNING some major games this season to bring them on board. If we come out of the Paradise Jam with a few nice wins and can start the CAA schedule with an impressive record in tow, the commitments will follow. I think the first 8-10 weeks of the season will be paramount for having a huge recruiting haul versus having a nice recruiting haul.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Pemberton is visiting the campus this week
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

HofstraFan101 wrote:Pemberton is visiting the campus this week
Yes!! Make it happen JAM!
Polito

Post by Polito »

OK Ok, now THAT is GREAT news!

Big since he has already been to St Bon...hasn't committed yet, so still open and still looking - I would think he's coming to the end and will want to wrap this up soon (just a guess/hope), which could mean hopefully HU is his last and he pulls the trigger!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Very Nice! Getting him on campus at this point in time is as good as it gets....... this is good recruiting on the part of JAM and staff. If we don't get him, I don't think there is anything else that JAM could have done. That being said, I am cautiously optimistic!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

RHoops247 ‏@RHoopsRecruits
Team Felton 2016 G Dondre Griffin narrows his list to Murray State, Western Kentucky, Appalachian State, Hofstra, James Madison & Wofford.

RHoops247 ‏@RHoopsRecruits
Griffin is a 6-foot-4 guard who had success against some of the top-rated guards on the Under Armour circuit this summer.

https://twitter.com/RHoopsRecruits/stat ... 2082694146
https://twitter.com/RHoopsRecruits/stat ... 1626838016
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Griffen can shoot - http://youtu.be/3wwgGQPFOkk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein
Cheshire Academy (CT) swingman Elijah Pemberton leaves for his official visit to Hofstra today
https://twitter.com/AdamFinkelstein/sta ... 7935036418

A player only gets 5 official visits (unlimited unofficials), so it's a good sign that he's using one on Hofstra.

I got a nice little chuckle from the W&M board about this.
"No one here knows what caused Pemba to take a step back and reconsider his decision. All the coaching staff can do at this point is exhibit patience and wait. I just hope Pemba knows that W&M smoked Hofstra 3 times last year. Would you want to play for that coach?" (http://csnbbs.com/thread-694821-post-12 ... id12477203)

It was a 2 point game at Hofstra, and a 1 point, double overtime game in Baltimore. I don't exactly calling that "smoking us 3 times". Sure, they smoked us in Williamsburg, other than that, they clearly didn't. Second, "that coach", as in a coach who's actually taken a team to NCAA tournaments? I'd rather play for him over a coach who couldn't get the job done with the arguably the best player in school history...
garyg

Post by garyg »

Thanks for update POP...we also met with him a few weeks ago off campus so obviously that meeting went well
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great news, looking forward to the insight of how it goes!

And I've been checking out the Tribe boards a bit recently related to EP, and its absolutely ridiculous some of the nonsense SOME of their fans are posting in regards to HU - no clue what they're deal is, where all this hate for HU came from, but some of them are completely delusional about their program

Felt like they were talking about UVA at times with how high on a pedestal they put their program compared to HU

I, and to my knowledge MOST HU fans, have nothing against W&M - super academic school, nice little program that seems to do things the right way, and I have a lot of respect for the job their staff is doing there with both recruiting and results

But my goodness, some tribe folks need to take a step back - why would EP come to HU?? Is that a for real question?? LOL how about why the heck would he go to W&M?? I mean really...c'mon now - I pointed this out earlier - the REALITY is that W&M has ZERO college ball pedigree - N O N E. we all know the big fat 0 for NCAA's, but they need to come back to Earth and realize that in their best yr during the modern era with their best player in the modern era, it took double OT and an absolute PRAYER PLAY to beat HU - and that HU team was a mid pack squad, not the best in the modern era- and as POP mentioned, still didn't get it done. Ain't getting any easier this yr without ol Thornton.

And oh speaking of him, is he on an NBA roster? (I know the answer, mates) Because I would bet the farm if he starred for HU like he did for W&M, he would have been, akin to CJ getting his shot right out of the gate - and in my humble yet accurate opinion, that's a benefit HU and the NY market offers.

And the haters can try to hate all they want, but the REALITY is that HU is a super mid program, top notch facilities, an actual history in bball, perfect location for that sport, national media coverage when they're good because of it, postseason play and NCAA appearances (albeit not VCU but at least SOMETHING), and have put players to the next level, ESP guards

I REALLY hope HU beats the ever living crap out if them this yr - I want them absolutely BURIED. Pretty annoyed at the complete lack of respect for a true competitor some of the W&M fans have displayed this offseason. Pls DESTROY them this yr fellas - thank you.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

Absolutely love that passion !!!!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Pemberton's visit is Thursday thru Saturday....Polito, head to campus and display some of your passion LOL...JAM has to sell vision...vision...vision letting this young man know that Hofstra will dominate conference on yearly basis and be in March Madness more often then not....GO PRIDE!!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

By this time last year we already had Buie and JWF locked up. Not worried but I would have thought that this staff, program stability and a team trending in the right direction would have made recruiting at HU easier and possibly more and better talented signings earlier then we did have in the past. Maybe they are going for bigger and better players and are willing to wait for them now. I don't know.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Pemberton visit Thurs thru Sat - That is a seriously long visit and you would have to think with him spending that much time on campus that: 1 - Jam and staff are going after him as hard as they can, and 2 - we must be on a EP short list. Probably down to 3-4 schools (hopefully even smaller)!

Any word on recruiting progress regarding SG Chuba Ohams? Would be a nice fit for a tall 6'7" wing for either the 2 or 3 position.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I will see if I can get an update on Chuba. If that kid gets stronger he could be nasty....JWF gave verbal in early October and Buie gave his in late October
Cards

Post by Cards »

any word on Pemberton visit....how things went?