Site Admin

Re: MBB Recruits 2022

Post by cactus »

Interesting pickup. Could play the 3

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A video of him doing a little bit of everything including a few dunks some steals and his mid range and 3 point shooting. https://youtu.be/9cwPspMgn2c
garyg

Post by garyg »

Captain wrote:Perry Smith jr. is the high schooler from South Carolina.
Do we really have a shot at Perry Smith JR ??

He would be quite a catch !!!!
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Plotnikov seems like a smart pickup, 89% from the line would suggest he's got a pure shot. Gets to the line a little (at least at the JUCO level). Defense will be the test. Doesn't strike me as a PG, more of a wing that spaces the floor.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

RollPride15 wrote:Plotnikov seems like a smart pickup, 89% from the line would suggest he's got a pure shot. Gets to the line a little (at least at the JUCO level). Defense will be the test. Doesn't strike me as a PG, more of a wing that spaces the floor.
Agreed see him starting at the 3
Estrada Thomas Plotnikov Dubar Iyiola
Is actually somewhat of a traditional starting lineup

Washington Farmer Carlos Barrouk Boachie-Yiadom Manyang Tomasco

And Marshall. Thought they might leave one scholarship open but didn't realize Marshall was walk on...is that confirmed? Verbal commits has him on scholarship.

They could be in a bit of trouble though if Iyiola misses any time. Looks like very good depth otherwise.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don’t see him starting but getting a fair amount of minutes playing behind Dubar unless he’s in fact a PG? The kid Thomas will start with Estrada and Iyiola. Who plays the point??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:I don’t see him starting but getting a fair amount of minutes playing behind Dubar unless he’s in fact a PG? The kid Thomas will start with Estrada and Iyiola. Who plays the point??

My gut tells me - we will be starting Carlos at PG.
I feel Burgess left for a reason - and the writing was on the wall for him - that it'd be Carlos's job to lose. I am hoping Carlos develops like some other HU guards that saw almost ZERO playing time his Freshman year (JFW).

Carlos
Estrada
??? Thomas/Washington/Plotnikov???
Dubar
Iyiola
is my starting 5.

I think a year under his belt - knowing the system - coaches knowing him - gives Carlos the edge.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

daHUPride wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I don’t see him starting but getting a fair amount of minutes playing behind Dubar unless he’s in fact a PG? The kid Thomas will start with Estrada and Iyiola. Who plays the point??

My gut tells me - we will be starting Carlos at PG.
I feel Burgess left for a reason - and the writing was on the wall for him - that it'd be Carlos's job to lose. I am hoping Carlos develops like some other HU guards that saw almost ZERO playing time his Freshman year (JFW).

Carlos
Estrada
??? Thomas/Washington/Plotnikov???
Dubar
Iyiola
is my starting 5.

I think a year under his belt - knowing the system - coaches knowing him - gives Carlos the edge.
Would love to see Carlos earn the job but not sure there's enough scoring in that lineup
Then again they struggled with Ray and Cooks playing alongside Estrada last year

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We brought Carlos in here to be the staRTING PG and he was hyped in to another stratosphere. Maybe the pressure got to him big time but he was a near total bust. I believe though that he will be given every opportunity to be the starter and I'm also pulling for him but will need to be a much better ballplayer then he showed.

I always disagree when people try to make analogies with Calos to either Buie or JWF. Both of them showed that they were much better players then Carlos in their freshman year. Carlos was given the minutes to show himself and didn't. JWF wasn't given the minutes because who was in front of him but you could see what an unpolished gem he had the potential to be. Buie also got minutes playing behind Green and had a decent year with limited minutes. This team will have plenty of talent and will again be in the conversation as one of the better teams in the league.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

I see Estrada as the PG - He has/needs the ball to make his game go. He's not about to wait for someone to get it to him!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

No problem with Estrada running the point
Bring in the backup point to break the press or use him when you want to press the other team
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It’s a no brainer that Estrada could play the point and do it well. I just feel there’s too much one on one when he’s playing the point IMO although his assists seem to indicate otherwise.

Polito

Post by Polito »

No thanks to Estrada running point. See my other post. But I'm sure HU will, because, it's HU and we seem to love forcing square pegs in round holes and act like it's some big genius strategy that no one else can think of or any other team can handle. And then they routinely handle it just fine, while HU's tactic fails to live up to the plan. It's silly guys. :roll:

I like this new Plotnikov pickup, another strong recruiting win, I was literally just thinking about Juco, seems to be the forgotten source nowadays with the portal! Still plenty of talent there, and maybe a good route for a mid major, kind of become an under the radar source. Plotnikov by all accounts is a real good one, one of the best freshman in the Juco ranks with some real nice stats.

He definitely feels like a 3 - fantastic size for that spot - really like his game. LOVE his FT %. Hopefully he will be a guy that attacks the lane. HU doesn't need more 'offense', it needs more efficiency and defense. This should be beyond clear by now.

He's not the point answer though then. He's just another guy who can do some things that points do, but that doesn't make him a floor general. I still feel this needs to be Carlos for HU to put a proper team on the floor.

One other note: I think Dubar is a heckuva player - he really impressed me last year - kid can ball, on both sides, at every level, and I think he needs to be much more of a focus this year - kid can do just about everything. HU needs some of it's O designed for him - I think he could be a sleeper difference maker this year.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Estrada was the clear conference player of the year playing the point, why do we want to move him exactly?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Estrada was the clear conference player of the year playing the point, why do we want to move him exactly?
It may be that there will be more distribution and a bit less Estrada doing his one on one repertoire. I think we need Carlos to be the facilitator but can he play at the level we need him to? Estrada will at times play the point I'm sure but shouldn't be our #1 PG as has been discussed. He's more then capable but would rather we have a REAL PG.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Estrada did not play the point much at all. Most of the time it was Burgess. Speedy did not want Estrada to be the PG and primary scorer.

I believe we need one more piece to this recruiting puzzle, an experienced PG to start the season so Carlos can work his way into the position, like most of our recent top guards have.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

We’ll see if they go out an get an experienced Pg.

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:Estrada did not play the point much at all. Most of the time it was Burgess. Speedy did not want Estrada to be the PG and primary scorer.

I believe we need one more piece to this recruiting puzzle, an experienced PG to start the season so Carlos can work his way into the position, like most of our recent top guards have.
Burgess averaged 15 mins a game. Whatever the intentions were, Estrada was the primary ball handler, ran the offense, and led the league in assists. If they bring in a point guard like you suggest splitting time with Carlos, that would have Estrada more off the ball. But as we've noted many times before, Ray did get buried with Estrada and Cooks both being so ball dominant, so the offense may run better that way with another facilitator.

However it seems to me with Plotnikov and Thomas they've recruited to a primary lineup of Estrada plus two scoring guards along with Dubar and Iyiola.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:Estrada did not play the point much at all. Most of the time it was Burgess. Speedy did not want Estrada to be the PG and primary scorer.

Burgess averaged 15 mins a game. Whatever the intentions were, Estrada was the primary ball handler, ran the offense, and led the league in assists. If they bring in a point guard like you suggest splitting time with Carlos, that would have Estrada more off the ball. But as we've noted many times before, Ray did get buried with Estrada and Cooks both being so ball dominant, so the offense may run better that way with another facilitator.

However it seems to me with Plotnikov and Thomas they've recruited to a primary lineup of Estrada plus two scoring guards along with Dubar and Iyiola.
Burgess hardly played early in the season, so yes Estrada handled the ball EARLY. Later in the season Burgess played around 30 minutes a game handling the primary ball handling responsibilities with Estrada handling it when Burgess went to the bench for a blow.
Our offense was clearly better without Estrada handling the primary ball handling.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:
cactus wrote:

Burgess hardly played early in the season, so yes Estrada handled the ball EARLY. Later in the season Burgess played around 30 minutes a game handling the primary ball handling responsibilities with Estrada handling it when Burgess went to the bench for a blow.
Our offense was clearly better without Estrada handling the primary ball handling.
Burgess never played 30 mins in a single game all season. He got his season high in the second loss to Towson where the offense looked stagnant and half the shots they took were 3s. After that, in the last 10 games of the season, he broke 20 minutes only 3 times, with a high of 21 minutes, and only played 11 minutes in the conference tournament loss.

His average over those last 10 games - 16 minutes per game, right in line with his season average.

So if that's what Speedy's intention was, it didn't work out that way, and goes to show how they never figured out how to put the pieces together last year.

The concern then should be that they've mainly recruited scorers to get the bulk of minutes alongside Estrada in Thomas and Plotnikov. Those guys transferred here to play.