Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Cards »

ProudofPride wrote:We just got a commitment from Nelson Boachie-Yiadom, 6-8 forward from Davidson.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcqwSZ6IBSs ... MyMTA2M2Y=
Doesn't knock your socks off stats-wise. 17 mpg, a couple of pts and rebs per game. Maybe comes in as a backup to provide "D" at the 4 (decent size).

Not sure how he fits, unless its simply a fill the roster spot (one and done guy). Hope we still have plans on a scoring forward with some mid range game.

Anyone know anything about him??
Last edited by Cards on Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So just quickly looking at his stats a backup player I’m assuming? Don’t know his minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He played 17 minutes a game scoring 2.2 and grabbing similar rebounding numbers. This kid must play D because with those numbers why would he get those minutes.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So it looks like we have two scholarships left correct?? We need a PG IMO let’s land a PG transfer.

CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Coached by the great Bob McKillop at Davidson. A valuable reserve there, assuming he left only because there are no grad programs at Davidson.
I was at Hofstra with McKillop back in the 70s; if he could help him at Davidson, he certainly can help us. I for one think this is a big plus.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

CTDutch wrote:Coached by the great Bob McKillop at Davidson. A valuable reserve there, assuming he left only because there are no grad programs at Davidson.
I was at Hofstra with McKillop back in the 70s; if he could help him at Davidson, he certainly can help us. I for one think this is a big plus.
This seems like such an odd signing but meanwhile a team that wins 27 games last year plays this kid 17 minutes a game with very limited results. There has to be something of substantial substance here.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Yup, this kid is going to have an impact here. Played significant role on a very good squad. He was essentially their 6th man of the year. He is 23 years old and will be 24 around tournament time with a lot of experience in big games. Tremendous wingspan, protects the paint, takes charges he was promoted to captain mid way through last season. He is the definition of heart and hustle. While he didnt contribute much on the stat sheet especially offensively, the team seemingly played better when he was on the floor (both ends). But the kid can really play defense and thats what gets him his minutes. Really smart addition here.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BringBackFootball wrote:Yup, this kid is going to have an impact here. Played significant role on a very good squad. He was essentially their 6th man of the year. He is 23 years old and will be 24 around tournament time with a lot of experience in big games. Tremendous wingspan, protects the paint, takes charges he was promoted to captain mid way through last season. He is the definition of heart and hustle. While he didnt contribute much on the stat sheet especially offensively, the team seemingly played better when he was on the floor (both ends). But the kid can really play defense and thats what gets him his minutes. Really smart addition here.
So thanks for the info. BBF not sure where u got it from but you know there has to be more there then the stats he was putting up and all this makes sense otherwise he wouldn't get those minutes on a very solid winning team.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Well now, did we just actually prioritize some defense?! :P

Like that he’s from a quality winning tradition rich program - can always trust BM coached players

He’s not going to be a star, but doesn’t need to be - he’s going to bring experience, depth, size, high athleticism, and some much needed defense - this guy can really run the floor and help break the press with a surprisingly good handle

And I’m sure he’s a standup citizen and student to boot

Now, I’d like to see a high end P5 transfer next to fill either the PG or Wing spots - can handle an under the radar as well as long as we get the top flight one - will also take a HS stud recruit in one of those as well, if it’s there.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Got to like his pedigree and renews another longtime Hofstra relationship. Like that he’s a winner and leader. Someone who can definitely help us.
garyg

Post by garyg »

I realize he was not recruited for his offense but he had a very respectable assist/turnover ration of 43/14

Does anyone know how many scholarships we now have left to offer ??
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

Looks like 2?

Guards:
A.Estrada
T.Thomas
B.Washington
J.Carlos
K.Farmer
G.Barrouk
(Marshall still non scholarship if still here?)

Forwards
Iyiola
Boachie-Yiadom
D.Dubar
L.Manyang
C.Tamasco
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:
BringBackFootball wrote:Yup, this kid is going to have an impact here. Played significant role on a very good squad. He was essentially their 6th man of the year. He is 23 years old and will be 24 around tournament time with a lot of experience in big games. Tremendous wingspan, protects the paint, takes charges he was promoted to captain mid way through last season. He is the definition of heart and hustle. While he didnt contribute much on the stat sheet especially offensively, the team seemingly played better when he was on the floor (both ends). But the kid can really play defense and thats what gets him his minutes. Really smart addition here.
So thanks for the info. BBF not sure where u got it from but you know there has to be more there then the stats he was putting up and all this makes sense otherwise he wouldn't get those minutes on a very solid winning team.
Here's footage of this kid doing his thing as a sophomore. You can see why we wanted him. https://youtu.be/iJ6sCn0Nh7Y
Cards

Post by Cards »

Thanks for the footage triplec - good stuff!

Love the defense, but what really caught my eye was how well he handles the rock for a 6'8" guy. He knows what to do when he's got he ball (whether pass, drive, give'n'go, etc).

Since we cannot expect great things from Manyang right away (as he gets used to D1 hoops), this guy is an experienced player that can fill the gap for a year with minutes at the 4 or depending on competition, even at the 5 in a pinch. Looks to be both a contributor and an insurance policy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:Thanks for the footage triplec - good stuff!

Love the defense, but what really caught my eye was how well he handles the rock for a 6'8" guy. He knows what to do when he's got he ball (whether pass, drive, give'n'go, etc).

Since we cannot expect great things from Manyang right away (as he gets used to D1 hoops), this guy is an experienced player that can fill the gap for a year with minutes at the 4 or depending on competition, even at the 5 in a pinch. Looks to be both a contributor and an insurance policy.
U welcome Cards and when most of us look at new players coming into the fold here it's natural to want to hang our hats on statistics. I do it myself but this kid has a lot of intangibles that is going to play out in a very positive way here especially Defense. He appears to contest everything he can that has anything to do with drives to the basket. He's also going to score off of O rebounds. I look forward to seeing him play here where we know its defense that costs us NCAA appearances year after year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Big fella's got some court vision - showed some fantastic looks for key assists - can defend out to the 3 pt line, and it's a pleasure to see someone actually take some pride in playing real defense - he's a catalyst on the floor for momentum shifting plays - as I already said, can run the floor and handle the rock like a big guard

Does seem like he can play the 4 or 5 depending on the game plan / opponent - brings a true winning expectation to the program, the Cats are one of those top tier mids that other mid majors desire to be, yearly winners, NCAAT teams, and he's had solid experience playing against P5s, appearing in the dance, and beating CAA teams :)

That said, he's done next to nothing on the offensive side - will be interested to see how the staff utilizes him and finds new ways to squeeze more productivity from him - just replacing a one or two dimensional Cramer isn't the goal here, need some better all-around game.

Overall, a very nice pickup though. Should help this team.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Transfer from Davidson has some polish to his game, both ends of the court. Not a shooter, it seems, but we have plenty of them. Good size, handle, can finish around the rim. He looks like a starter to me. Looks like we have a pretty good eight man rotation.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Local newspaper with a story on Tyler Thomas transferring -

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/articl ... 129090.php
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

joeg1 wrote:Transfer from Davidson has some polish to his game, both ends of the court. Not a shooter, it seems, but we have plenty of them. Good size, handle, can finish around the rim. He looks like a starter to me. Looks like we have a pretty good eight man rotation.
Agreed, think this is the team unless they have the opportunity to bring in a no brainer

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:
joeg1 wrote:Transfer from Davidson has some polish to his game, both ends of the court. Not a shooter, it seems, but we have plenty of them. Good size, handle, can finish around the rim. He looks like a starter to me. Looks like we have a pretty good eight man rotation.
Agreed, think this is the team unless they have the opportunity to bring in a no brainer

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I am curious who you both are considering the players in the eight man rotation? Or are you just saying out of our roster 8 will rise to the top?