Transfer Portal

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by triplec2195 »

Just happen to see this on the portal that College of Charleston Sophomore Nick Farrar has transferred to UNCW. So it now seems like transferring within conference is acceptable?? Wow this could get crazy if it's a trend that takes off.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Also LSU must have set a dangerous precedent of losing all their scholarship players to transfer because now Elon is close to losing most of their scholarship players. It's the Wild Wild West out there.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

I'm sure this sentiment has been reiterated a million times but the lack of any penalty for transferring really feels like it diminishes the appeal of being a fan. Teams now will always have less internal chemistry, and nearly every star player will jump ship the moment he senses a better or more lucrative opportunity. Teams are completely demolished and reconstructed over the course of one offseason, and you can't get too invested in any young player's development because he could be gone tomorrow.

The era of iconic one-college players (Hansbrough, Draymond Green or hell, closer to home, Charles Jenkins) that were the face of their teams for years will never return. Would Jenkins stay at Hofstra for 4 years under the new rules? I'd like to think so, but who could blame him for moving on to a P5 school.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Assuming these kids who transfer aren’t cutting off their nose to spite their face if they don’t get the playing time they expected. What about the NEW LANDSCAPE now that doesn’t center around H.S. Players. Has this new world put a damper on H.S. Scholarships. I wonder what stats look like for these kids? Are there more kids that have to walk on and now fight to get a scholarship or do some of these kids play D2 or D3? Seems like the whole playbook has changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Zion Bethea leaves us for St. Francis, Brooklyn.

Did he ever play a minute for us in a real game?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:Zion Bethea leaves us for St. Francis, Brooklyn.

Did he ever play a minute for us in a real game?
He actually played a few minutes in his freshman year at the end of the season took a few BAD SHOTS and didn’t score a point for us if my memory serves me well. We’ll see how he does there.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Ok, looks like the house has been cleaned. What do we have? I think 8 players on scholarship with one commitment thus far.

So once again we will be replacing a good portion of the roster as will most Div I schools.

Looking forward to seeing what Speedy and the staff come up with.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I count 7 on scholarships which includes Farmer since Marshall I believe is a walk on. We need to pick up quality players like Dubar and Estrada and god knows there r plenty out there especially on the portal. Let’s hope we get Manyang.

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Check this out from twitter Michael Graham 6'8 transfer from ELON has received offers from; Elon transfer Michael Graham tells us he's heard from: Vermont, UMKC, Tulsa, Siena, Delaware, Virginia Tech, Hofstra, LMU, San Jose State, GW, Bowling Green, Georgia State, and Murray State, + others. Hofstra throws their hat in the ring for a fellow player from the conference. The precedent has been established and it's game on. Total free for all I'd imagine now!! There r NO RULES!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:Check this out from twitter Michael Graham 6'8 transfer from ELON has received offers from; Elon transfer Michael Graham tells us he's heard from: Vermont, UMKC, Tulsa, Siena, Delaware, Virginia Tech, Hofstra, LMU, San Jose State, GW, Bowling Green, Georgia State, and Murray State, + others. Hofstra throws their hat in the ring for a fellow player from the conference. The precedent has been established and it's game on. Total free for all I'd imagine now!! There r NO RULES!!
Would be a nice pickup for HU. 20 mpg, 9.3 ppg, 6.8 reb, 60% fg shooting.

Kicker is he's from Brooklyn. Time to come home!
Polito

Post by Polito »

The college landscape is the wild west across all sports - just as crazy in football too - it's nuts

But it is what it is, have to evolve and play this style of game if a program wants to succeed - at least until any parameters are put into place

Not sure about this Elon big, but what I do think is happening is that programs are throwing their hat in the ring for EVERY single player that might even be remotely an option - the interest this kid and many others have had is literally all over the place, makes no sense to see the AE and ACC in the same breathe lolol

So outside of the top 20 or so transfer players, I agree it's a total free for all, a volume game, and you throw a lot of mud against the wall and see what sticks

A lot to choose from at least - but it must be war out there - need to see some action here for HU in the next couple of weeks - gotta lock guys up, time is ticking. I would like to see HU bring in CHAMPIONSHIP caliber guys - meaning guys that were part of winning culture, conf champions, NCAAT teams, etc - we need higher expectations, some winning pedigree, a culture of whatever it takes, work ethic, hard nose play, and old school NY dog tough as nails mentality - badly.

Guys with the right balance of humility and confidence, who take pride in ALL dimensions of the game, not just shooting 40 foot 3s like a middle school playground team - badasses that step on the floor to bury teams with actual SKILL, knowledge of the game, playing it RIGHT, and with some swagger. OLD SCHOOL NY baby.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah time is definitely of the essence here and Speedy and co. need to seal the deal on some transfers needing 6 more scholly players. If they don't get these kids early they'll wind up settling for players that wouldn't have been there first choice.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Just noticed that former HU player Vukasin Masic has entered the portal from Maine.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

He was the second leading scorer Averaging over 9 points on a team that only won a few games. He shot o/35% from 3. Where’s his next stop?

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cam Wynter has just transferred to Penn State. Good move or not??
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Former LuHi PG Andre Curbelo is transferring to St. John's after two years at Illinois.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195 wrote:Cam Wynter has just transferred to Penn State. Good move or not??
The hand of Mike Farrelly at work?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Former LuHi PG Andre Curbelo is transferring to St. John's after two years at Illinois.
This kid is such a good player it’s a shame we couldn’t land him. A great get for St Johns.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Rothstein reporting that Tyler Thomas, an athletic 6'3" shooter has committed to Hofstra. He led Sacred Heart in scoring in 21-22 at over 16 PPG. I think this is an excellent
pick-up who will really help over the next two years. His teammate, PG Aaron Clarke committed to Stony Brook today. We got much the better of that.