Other Tournaments

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchalum01

Re: Other Tournaments

Post by dutchalum01 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote: ESPN2 at 5 p.m. is hardly prime time viewing although always good to get national TV exposure. I still have zero issue with not taking part in a joke tourney where you have to pay to compete though.
Are those a pay to play tournament? If so, I retract my statement on wanting to play in it. If however travel, accommodations and entry is paid by tournament, count me in. I suppose that’s definitely a stretch and wouldn’t be the case.

Yes is a $50,000 entry fee https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_B ... e%20courts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy f. Yeah no.

Wags

Post by Wags »

Started at 5 pm, but they're now still playing at 7:20 pm, with more than three minutes still left in overtime, as a lead-in to the Wake-Forest/Texas A&M NIT quarterfinal game, which was supposed to start airing on the same channel at 7 pm. Lunardi has also been doing color for last night's CBI games and for tonight's game.

How much did HU spend in the past for advertising with billboards on the LIRR and in other places and for radio spots on local sports radio stations only to still have low attendance? And is the $50K worth it for UNCW in contrast (I don't know, but maybe it is) to be in OT in the title game on ESPN2 at nearly 7:30 pm right now?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Started at 5 pm, but they're now still playing at 7:20 pm, with more than three minutes still left in overtime, as a lead-in to the Wake-Forest/Texas A&M NIT quarterfinal game, which was supposed to start airing on the same channel at 7 pm. Lunardi has also been doing color for last night's CBI games and for tonight's game.

How much did HU spend in the past for advertising with billboards on the LIRR and in other places and for radio spots on local sports radio stations only to still have low attendance? And is the $50K worth it for UNCW in contrast (I don't know, but maybe it is) to be in OT in the title game on ESPN2 at nearly 7:30 pm right now?
And now, at 7:35 pm, going to a second overtime. Entertaining down the stretch for about the past 40-45 minutes of real time with more to come. People definitely tuning in, especially those who planned to tune in for Wake/A&M. I would say the exposure, especially if they win, has been worth it for UNCW and MTSU.
Wags

Post by Wags »

UNCW wins the championship in double overtime, 96-90.

Way better game than the NIT game that was supposed to be on earlier. 32-15, A&M at halftime. Each team is 1/14 from 3. Wake 4/27 overall, A&M 11/33 overall.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Wags wrote:UNCW wins the championship in double overtime, 96-90.
Congrats to UNCW. That’s money probably well spent.

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

UNCW shot free throws 36-43 (.837), and Middle Tennessee shot free throws 34-46 (.739). It was second time from 2010-2011 to now that both teams made at least 34 free throws. Vermont and Binghamton did it in Vermont's 92-82 win at Binghamton on March 2, 2014. My source is the Sports Reference College Basketball Play Index, and I'm going to tweet it at twitter.com/EvanJ3535
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchalum01 wrote:
Seems so:

https://twitter.com/TheSeahawkPerch/sta ... 9688357894
https://twitter.com/TheSeahawkPerch/sta ... 0172618754

And there are sometimes other reasons winning these tourneys can have value:
https://twitter.com/mokauru_3/status/15 ... 7935386626
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

dutchalum01 wrote:

Money well spent if you get game on national TV that airs in primetime. If you lose in first game not so much.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:

Money well spent if you get game on national TV that airs in primetime. If you lose in first game not so much.
I would hope, that like UNCW did, HU would have enough faith in its program that they would think that they could win a tournament like that too if given the opportunity in the future rather than not spending the money because they are afraid they might lose their first game in a tourney like that (but much better yet, make the NCAAT instead).
Wags

Post by Wags »

Coach Siddle on UNCW winning the CBI:

"It does a lot for our program. We were able to get some exposure through ESPN... for our younger guys that didn’t play as much, we were able to get them some time and they stepped up in a major way. Then, for our older guys to go out as champions and get some more exposure as they get ready to turn pro, I thought it was huge. It does wonders for our program. It gives us a lot of momentum going into the offseason. Hopefully, it helps us in recruiting as well. It’s nothing but positives that came out of coming here. What a great tournament, and a well-run tournament.”
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HU needs to take advantage of tourneys like this not above anything at this point.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Not disputing but where is the evidence it still costs $50K to enter ? The game's used to be on Home Court sites so I could see where some teams could get some of the revenue recovered but now they are all at Daytona Beach venue and have a "Big" Sponsor in Roman (pun intended) Also ESPN should have paid some freight for TV rights. Transporting teams to Florida shouldn't cost a fortune and what could be better than a weekend in Florida at this time ?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

NIT moving out of NYC for two years. Shame to see it go.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

ZMAN3 wrote:Not disputing but where is the evidence it still costs $50K to enter ? The game's used to be on Home Court sites so I could see where some teams could get some of the revenue recovered but now they are all at Daytona Beach venue and have a "Big" Sponsor in Roman (pun intended) Also ESPN should have paid some freight for TV rights. Transporting teams to Florida shouldn't cost a fortune and what could be better than a weekend in Florida at this time ?
Is on CBI Wikepedia pagealthough is possible information has not been updated and it costs less now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_B ... vitational
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I doubt any entrance fee is a barrier to playing in any tournament. I bristle when its implied we are some nickel and dime basketball operation. In general we don't do things on the cheap- full scholarships, fully staffed, top notch facilities. The hoops team has a pretty good budget and spending a few thousand here and there (even 50k) does not move the needle. I bring this up all the time- HU has deep pockets; the endowment is about 800MM, top 100 nationwide and roughly the same as St Johns and Fordham. The University might not allocate all we think it should to basketball, but that's not due to some dire financial straits.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

joeg1 wrote:I doubt any entrance fee is a barrier to playing in any tournament. I bristle when its implied we are some nickel and dime basketball operation. In general we don't do things on the cheap- full scholarships, fully staffed, top notch facilities. The hoops team has a pretty good budget and spending a few thousand here and there (even 50k) does not move the needle. I bring this up all the time- HU has deep pockets; the endowment is about 800MM, top 100 nationwide and roughly the same as St Johns and Fordham. The University might not allocate all we think it should to basketball, but that's not due to some dire financial straits.
I don't know that much about it but what I've been told it's the way the money is earmarked for the sports programs. We have a lot of money but that money is earmarked for educational purposes. To your point of course I believe that money was not a major impediment for HU to play in this tourney. If they wanted to it would have happened.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote:NIT moving out of NYC for two years. Shame to see it go.
Shame. It's been at MSG since it's inception in 1938. It was there exclusively until 1977, when the earlier rounds were moved to campus sites.

The NCAA is putting it up for bid. There's been talk of Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse or Vegas to replace MSG for the semis and championship.

This would be good timing for the brand new UBS Arena to put in a bid and keep the NIT semis and championship in the area.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Wags wrote:
Shame. It's been at MSG since it's inception in 1938. It was there exclusively until 1977, when the earlier rounds were moved to campus sites.

The NCAA is putting it up for bid. There's been talk of Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse or Vegas to replace MSG for the semis and championship.

This would be good timing for the brand new UBS Arena to put in a bid and keep the NIT semis and championship in the area.
Hinkle would be coool venue to have it.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
Wags wrote:

Hinkle would be coool venue to have it.
A lot of history there wasn't that where they filmed Hoosiers with Gene Hackman a great movie.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Yes it was. Is certainly on my bucket list of sports venues to see a game.