Hofstra vs. Charleston, Sunday, 3/6/22, 8:30 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Hofstra vs. Charleston, Sunday, 3/6/22, 8:30 PM

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:I get different rules now, but Cramer is more talented than anyone that left during Mihalich's tenure.
I just don't like Cramer leaving with the energy he brought and his dunks that could really pump up the team and get the crowd going. With a potential of three more years I would have loved to see how he would have grown. Too bad. Also I get the feeling here that Cramer knew about players being recruited and maybe even some that visited the campus and saw the possible writing on the wall. Just a hunch nothing definitive.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Burgess leaving is probably for the best, just not a talented enough player at this level. Bummer that it didn't work out and that we either missed in scouting him or development. Wish him the best elsewhere.

Cramer is a real loss -- I know he was hurt for a lot of the year but his athleticism and energy really does bring a unique dynamic to a mid-major. There were games where he was really disruptive on defense, causing turnovers and flying in transition. Awkward fit because he can't shoot and he's not a true big, but I remain a believer in what he brings as a heavy usage sixth man type.
Cards

Post by Cards »

RollPride15 wrote:Cramer is a real loss -- I know he was hurt for a lot of the year but his athleticism and energy really does bring a unique dynamic to a mid-major. There were games where he was really disruptive on defense, causing turnovers and flying in transition. Awkward fit because he can't shoot and he's not a true big, but I remain a believer in what he brings as a heavy usage sixth man type.
Cramer just never fit the HU system. One big and four shooters on the court. Sometimes a ball handler instead of a shooter, but never an inside guy instead of a shooter. That is why a guy like Dubar is so valuable - he is big and can shoot. Like the old days with Denton Koons - a 6'8" guy who can shoot and rebound.

With lots of roster spots now open (and maybe more if Omar is leaving?) I really hope we can get another guy like Dubar/Koons to play the 4. A big with hands would help as well - not a knock against Beybey, just saying we need more than him splitting time in the middle.

With enough offers to make, I would think Speedy would land at least one big splash type guy (likely a transfer looking for more playing time).
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Kramer transfer is a loss. I'm a big believer in the 4 out system from an offensive perspective, but I also think we could mold to Kramer's strengths and make him a solid 6th man who helps us get up and down the floor and play the dunker/roll man spot.

With Kramer leaving this year and David Green (https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... avid-green) leaving last year, that's two strong talents at the 3/4 spot that we couldn't develop.

Yes, if we bring in a great stretch 4 (Dentoon Koon was great, but give me an Ameen Tanksley any day) and have more optionality with D-Stone, then that makes this sting less.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I'll take Dubar over all of them except for Tanksley but that was not his position.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This conversation is more apropos in 2022 Men's recruits.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Burgess and Cramer have probably been thinking about transferring for a while. I wish them both well.

I know we signed one G in the fall. How many more spots do we need to fill?
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

If OS does not come back, there are 7 on the present roster (DD, AE, JC, AI, GB*, AM*, CT*). 3 of these (*) are the red shirt freshmen. With 1 signed (KF) so far, that leaves 5 spots to 13.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

A lot of new faces
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

That's the way its going to be from now on with the new transfer rules, and kids will move right away if they don't play significant minutes.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Best of luck to Caleb and Kvonn, solid representatives of the program!

Definitely more surprised Burgess transferred, but Speedy was recruiting over him. I thought Caleb improved every year, but he was just inconsistent. Obviously in the shooting department, but really in all aspects of his PG play, lots of interesting decisions, just as many poor decisions with the ball. I was hoping he could level it out and keep working on that jumper and put it together for a solid senior year, but that's an incredibly optimistic outlook on his game if I'm being honest.

As for Cramer, I mean I never really loved his game. I don't think he's a good defender, his knee will never be 100%, and he is not a good shooter anywhere on the court, including the FT line. I'm rooting for Cramer though, great story, great work ethic to get back on the court. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled a Joe Brown and became an all-conference player at a lower level, but a lot of that is dependent on his health and his ability to further develop his jump shot. Otherwise he's just kind of an undersized 4 who can throw down dunks and not much else.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:Best of luck to Caleb and Kvonn, solid representatives of the program!

Definitely more surprised Burgess transferred, but Speedy was recruiting over him. I thought Caleb improved every year, but he was just inconsistent. Obviously in the shooting department, but really in all aspects of his PG play, lots of interesting decisions, just as many poor decisions with the ball. I was hoping he could level it out and keep working on that jumper and put it together for a solid senior year, but that's an incredibly optimistic outlook on his game if I'm being honest.

As for Cramer, I mean I never really loved his game. I don't think he's a good defender, his knee will never be 100%, and he is not a good shooter anywhere on the court, including the FT line. I'm rooting for Cramer though, great story, great work ethic to get back on the court. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled a Joe Brown and became an all-conference player at a lower level, but a lot of that is dependent on his health and his ability to further develop his jump shot. Otherwise he's just kind of an undersized 4 who can throw down dunks and not much else.
When u talk about Cramer's knee is this something that we knew from the coaching staff or is this just your feeling based on him missing games? I knew he had some kind of injury but whatever that was that didn't seem to impede his leaping ability.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Agreed - there was nothing wrong with his knee - he was running and jumping fine. His unique skill set underutilized. They almost beat Houston with him as the 5 (and was 2-2 from 3). He played really well when given the minutes but when Simmons came back he became the 3rd string 5 instead of 2nd string 4 - Strictly Coach's philosophy.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Don’t always agree with u ZMAN especially re Cooks being “ horrendous” but do agree here. Cramer about 9 points a game last year blocked shots and could rebound. Not a good loss IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:Don’t always agree with u ZMAN especially re Cooks being “ horrendous” but do agree here. Cramer about 9 points a game last year blocked shots and could rebound. Not a good loss IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless we replace him with someone better!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Wags wrote:Hallelujah. Speedy finally calls a timeout at 33-13. Where was that WAY before? Should have ripped into them for the lack of D.
In sharp contrast:
https://twitter.com/Boness305/status/15 ... 9416658946

I think Speedy has the same mentality but where Shaheen doesn't mind hurting any feeling and demands better, I got the sense that Speedy against his own better competitive nature, gave his players way too much rope this season. I think that's one of the things he might look at inwardly and approach differently next season. I think he's too much of a competitor not to change that, but time will tell.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Wags wrote:Hallelujah. Speedy finally calls a timeout at 33-13. Where was that WAY before? Should have ripped into them for the lack of D.
In sharp contrast:

I think Speedy has the same mentality but where Shaheen doesn't mind hurting any feeling and demands better, I got the sense that Speedy against his own better competitive nature, gave his players way too much rope this season. I think that's one of the things he might look at inwardly and approach differently next season. I think he's too much of a competitor not to change that, but time will tell.
Definitely ballsy and something a lot of mid majors can take away from.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Wags wrote:
In sharp contrast:

Definitely ballsy
Why? It's what every coach should do. What are they getting paid for otherwise?