Elon @ MBB, Thursday, 2/24/22, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Elon @ MBB, Thursday, 2/24/22, 7 PM

Post by Hofstra »

Hofstra wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:We're per yahoo sports 13.5 point favorites. O/U 145.5. TRAP GAME??
I think we massacre this team again tonight. We are rolling.
What an idiot I am. This team is just not built for it. It's unfortunate. Wait till next year
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Simply PATHETIC.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Wags wrote:
EvanJ wrote: Northeastern leads W&M 25-10.
Evan, maybe you can know if this is a CAA record for fewest points but, WOW, William & Mary loses in Boston, 62-28 :shock:

They Tribe had 15 at halftime and somehow managed LESS points than that in the second half.
Watch them score 90 against us.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:You want to know what a trap game is?? I hope u r watching this debacle and don’t quote textbook definitions that’s total BS!! Back to back nightmare and home games. No excuse this time of the year! Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was not a trap game, it was a PATHETIC performance. We came out with nothing…no energy no fire, it looked like we thought we could win this without any effort.

WRONG…THEY WANTED IT MORE AND WENT OUT AND TOOK IT FROM US. Hopefully lesson learned but I fear too many lessons that have not been learned this season.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

triplec2195 wrote:They leave Burgess wide open and he shoots one brick after another
He sucks. Always has. Simply does not belong on the floor in a division 1 basketball game. Honestly I even have my doubts on lower divisions as well, his performance was equally horrid against the tomato can D3 schools he has played against.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

BringBackFootball wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:They leave Burgess wide open and he shoots one brick after another
He sucks. Always has. Simply does not belong on the floor in a division 1 basketball game. Honestly I even have my doubts on lower divisions as well, his performance was equally horrid against the tomato can D3 schools he has played against.
He does play D and can handle the ball but gets no respect on offense they DARE HIM TO SHOOT THE BALl. I’ve been watching Hofstra since 1975 this is up there with the worst performances I’ve EVER SEEN!
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Worst effort I’ve seems since the post suspension Mo team. That team could have beaten this one tonight.

First game I left early in many years.

I’m also getting sick of hearing they don’t respect teams from Speedy. They are a 3rd place team in a mediocre at best conference. Where do they get off thinking they are better than anyone???

Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Was ready to book my trip for DC this weekend, but I am having second thoughts after tonight. I think I would rather just go down for the Championship game IF we make it. Tonight was pathetic, but a performance we've seen far too often. Very disturbing to watch a team get smacked up as 13.5 favorites.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I left this game with over 3 minutes left I just couldn’t take any more of the nightmare and I very rarely will leave a game early. They should be ashamed the way they played.

Wags

Post by Wags »

Wrong time of year to still be wondering what you are. That should already be established by now, especially if you're supposed to be one of the top three teams in the conference. But that was thrown into flux in a major way tonight. That six-game streak was a bit of fool's gold with the home wins over JMU and Northeastern (UNCW was close but they played well).

Towson should not only be the favorite, but the clear and overwhelming favorite the way they handled Hofstra twice and UNCW last week, and now with Hofstra cooled off in a huge way after that win streak. They have been playing so much better on a more consistent basis than UNCW or Hofstra has over the past few weeks.

I'll say this though -- whatever the reasons, this team has generally shot better and played better overall (especially in CAA play), throughout the season, away from The Mack than it has at home. So maybe being away from Hempstead, they might be able to do something. Aside from Towson and UNCW, look at the difference against the same teams, home and away:

JMU: won there by 7, won at home by 7 but in OT
Delaware: won there by 14, won at home by 5
Drexel: won there by 10, won at home by 5
Northeastern: won there by 22, needed a miracle to win at home by 3
Elon: won there by 33, lost at home by 26

So maybe this is just a different team away from home this season. If so, maybe we'll see their best in D.C. But they may have to avoid Towson until at least the finals to show that.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra at halftime at Elon on 2/15: 56 points
Hofstra for the game vs. Elon on 2/24: 55 points
Last edited by Wags on Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID80 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:You want to know what a trap game is?? I hope u r watching this debacle and don’t quote textbook definitions that’s total BS!! Back to back nightmare and home games. No excuse this time of the year! Sad

This was not a trap game, it was a PATHETIC performance. We came out with nothing…no energy no fire, it looked like we thought we could win this without any effort.

WRONG…THEY WANTED IT MORE AND WENT OUT AND TOOK IT FROM US. Hopefully lesson learned but I fear too many lessons that have not been learned this season.
You can call it what you want but even Speedy in his post presser referred to this game and the NE game as trap games but the difference he said was we barely got out of the TRAP against NE but this game we couldn't escape the trap. We get outrebounded by almost 30 rebounds. I wonder the last time that happened if ever?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Once again we're back to wondering what this team is all about...was feeling pretty confident we were not going to have another clunker along the likes of StonyBrook and William and Mary but here we go again with our WORST game of the year.

Its up to Speedy and the staff to get this team BACK ON TRACK and close out with two wins to protect the third seed...do that and I'll feel better about DC.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Once again we're back to wondering what this team is all about...was feeling pretty confident we were not going to have another clunker along the likes of StonyBrook and William and Mary but here we go again with our WORST game of the year.

Its up to Speedy and the staff to get this team BACK ON TRACK and close out with two wins to protect the third seed...do that and I'll feel better about DC.
Given their track record this season, they may not show that until D.C.

Yes, they've won at home, and the home record is good, but many close calls. They have largely not played well at home, and especially more recently, have played much better ball away from Hempstead.

However, W&M is in a very bad state right now. No excuse after last night's awful effort for not beating W&M by 20+ in a good effort for 40 minutes. Charleston though, could be the same story at home this year - a very close one that they may or may not pull out late.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Agree Wags. Charleston was tough on the road against Delaware...they are pretty good. We will need to bring our A game, not the garbage we threw up yesterday.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Is there a reason Cramer just doesn't get minutes now? Been out of the loop for a little bit but feels like in a game where we were cooked on the boards we could use his physicality. I'm just surprised at how we're handling a guy who looked very promising last year and has done fine in limited minutes this year.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

used my self imposed - not reacting/responding to these chats immediately after a bad loss - but yesterday was not a bad loss - it was the worst loss I've ever seen at the Mack - I was one of them that did stay until the end, it was sort of like watching a car wreck

listen in both the NE (Strong) and Elon (McIntosh) game both teams had guys that were hitting bombs from the outside - I can deal with that - but the big guy play and getting eaten up downlow (NE - Dourghty; Elon - Junkin) is frustrating

Cramer perplexing - playing 8 minutes per game (garbage time yesterday); our 3 point shooting - around 20% for 3 of the past 4 halves - outrebounded by 40 boards in the past 2 games!!!! -

we need a bounce back game(s) ASAP
Wags

Post by Wags »

RollPride15 wrote:Is there a reason Cramer just doesn't get minutes now? Been out of the loop for a little bit but feels like in a game where we were cooked on the boards we could use his physicality. I'm just surprised at how we're handling a guy who looked very promising last year and has done fine in limited minutes this year.
My guess is he's still not quite 100%, but I was wondering the same. If healthy, they could've sorely used him and need him going forward. Even just from an energy standpoint. That was badly lacking throughout the roster last night. But he's an energy and hustle guy the team can feed off of.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:Agree Wags. Charleston was tough on the road against Delaware...they are pretty good. We will need to bring our A game, not the garbage we threw up yesterday.
They do give up a lot of points sometimes though, and when HU is on, they can score a lot. Charleston won at UD last night despite allowing 64 in the second half!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just wanted to make myself feel better about this loss if that's possible so I remembered getting beat up by W&M BY 27 POINTS IN OUR NCAA TEAM TWO YEARS AGO and we also lost to St Bonaventure by 28 that same year after beating UCLA. As Elon did to us we returned the favor by beating W&M on their own home court by 23. It's such a game of swings punches and counter-punches!! I know not too consoling!!