mens and Womens BB attendance

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: mens and Womens BB attendance

Post by Hofstra »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:I didn't renew season tix for the first time in 7 years, partially because I got a new gig which meant I would miss home games for a good portion of the season, but also because I didn't want to deal with the inevitable restrictions/cancellations. I was finally able to get to my first game on Thursday, and honestly, the policies are what I expected, it wasn't terrible, but the crowd was definitely small and subdued. The one really weird thing I noticed was the ushers walking around during game breaks with the "wear the mask" signs, had a real 1984 vibe. Other than that, it felt pretty normal.

I think Hofstra has taken the necessary precautions, and as Jojo mentioned above, they are just an extension of the school's overall covid policy, so I don't know why anyone would expect different covid policies for the hoops games. But the truth is the mask, vax/ID policy while fair, just makes the whole event less fun. It's an interrogation getting into the arena, and I don't want to constantly have to be thinking about covid while I'm trying to watch the game, sucking on my mask for hours while I try to get into the action. Not saying Hofstra's policy is wrong this year, just that it's annoying and makes it a chore to watch the game at the Mack. The policies definitely have a negative effect on attendance, as I don't expect to go back this year, I'll continue to support from afar and hope the mask policy gets trashed for next season.
Did you speak this into fruition? I am thrilled they got rid of the masks. When I went to the game, like you said, it was uncomfortable to basically suck on the mask for the few hours we were there. Whether attendance goes up, or goes down, I am thrilled that they ditched this. Lets move forward.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

BringBackFootball wrote:I dont attend any establishment that requires proof of vaccination or a mask. These results are not surprising. These idiots will figure it out eventually
Well the idiots figured it out I guess. The global economy is on its knees all due to policies like these. The fragility of nearly everything including College Athletics after 2 years of draconian measures is undeniable and solely the reason for the sudden changes in policy. This has nothing to due with health and it never did.

Just hope the damage is correctable but theres going to be a lomg road to recovery. Oh yeah and if you complied and provided your medical information to attend a game or go to eat, you are part of the problem.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I get some people would have liked Hofstra's spectator policy to be less restrictive, but it's confusing to me when lay persons do their own non peer-reviewed research and act like they know better than doctors and public health experts, and can say with any confidence that their overwhelming recommendations are wrong and that the policy, based off those recommendations and in consultation with Northwell Health, should have been different. A policy that, in fact, was written as an active document, reviewed upon changes to NYS requirements, and subsequently updated.

I can link to an indepth interview recently done with a Harvard epidemiologist about where we are in the pandemic and where the thought process is regarding developing policy going forward, send me a DM if you'd like me to forward it to you. As for here, let's keep the discussion civil and on topic. Thanks
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

BringBackFootball wrote:
BringBackFootball wrote:I dont attend any establishment that requires proof of vaccination or a mask. These results are not surprising. These idiots will figure it out eventually
Well the idiots figured it out I guess. The global economy is on its knees all due to policies like these. The fragility of nearly everything including College Athletics after 2 years of draconian measures is undeniable and solely the reason for the sudden changes in policy. This has nothing to due with health and it never did.

Just hope the damage is correctable but theres going to be a lomg road to recovery. Oh yeah and if you complied and provided your medical information to attend a game or go to eat, you are part of the problem.
Luckily people like you are in the minority. Hofstra has had very responsible measures with COVID and it makes me more proud to call it my alma mater.
Sctvman

Post by Sctvman »

Here in Charleston we’ve lost 300 from our 19-20 attendance even with UNC at home. The problem was our front-loaded home schedule. We had 3 home games with students before the UNC game and the AD used them for points to get students to the UNC game so they had huge student turnouts for all 3.

We also had Delaware on 12/31 and our biggest rival UNCW was on a Monday night when Omicron was still surging. It’s a weird mix of people whining there is a mask mandate and folks complaining there is no vax mandate, which is not allowed in SC public schools.

Charleston is not a college basketball town either. We do fine but a large portion of our fan base is Clemson and South Carolina football fans who are looking for something to do during the winter.
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
BringBackFootball wrote:

Luckily people like you are in the minority. Hofstra has had very responsible measures with COVID and it makes me more proud to call it my alma mater.
Oh really? And just what exactly is a person like me, exactly? Please tell me. Because im pretty sure people like me, ones that value civil, human, privacy and property rights above all else are of no danger to you, in fact quite the opposite. Did you take Any history classes when you attended hofstra? BTW You're welcome.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I should have said people with your anti science views. No reason to be so sensitive. Let's focus back where these boards belong on rooting for Hofstra sports!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Agree!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Going to lock this before it gets out of hand. No one is going to convince anyone of anything on this topic on a message board, but once things start to get personal or political it's time to move on to other topics.