MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by HUSID80 »

DMV Dutch wrote:@JonRothstein: UConn transfer Terrence Samuel has committed to Penn State.

Not surprised there but disappointed. When he went there for a visit after U.S. I knew we were in trouble. There still is the San Diegi St kid. Like him the best and he will have three years if he comes
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

According to JAM we are not even close to signing anyone yet.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Although its getting late in the recruiting (getting transfers) process, we should not settle for anyone less than a 3* type difference maker with this last scholly. JAM has done a good job recruiting to this point, so I trust his judgement. Zabo would be nice, but I'm sure there are still a few others out there if we cant get him.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Penn State?! I'm sorry, but that's just strange on the part of Samuel :?

I know HU isn't Kentucky, but my goodness, Penn St can kill a good career - even JM is prob scratching his head on that one... think he let the big name of the conf get the best of him, because he's going to have a much different experience there than at UConn

At least HU is looking very strong to win their conf

At any rate, he wasn't the guy, BUT not pleased that HU isn't close to landing someone - they've had plenty of opportunity for months and seem to be struggling to get the job done here - a strong wing/guard is a major need for this team, no matter what some of you want to believe - they are 1 injury away from relying on true freshman, and will really need someone in here to sit and master the system to effectively help the following yr

Don't want any settling, but do want some landing - now you see why bringing in a STUD recruiter to replace Nichols should be the priority for that position
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

I disagree that they're an injury away from giving major minutes to JWF or Buie if they don't deserve it. Maybe if it's Juan'ya but an injury is a disaster for any team if it's your star player. They have tons of depth at the G/F position and it's great to see the depth for once. If Jamall develops into a guy who can play consistent minutes off the bench then they wouldn't have had room for a new wing anyway.
Cards

Post by Cards »

In order for the freshman not to get minutes, Bernardi, Robinson, and/or others (bot not Green) will need to be handling the ball in the backcourt. Recall that with all teh minutes Green will be playing, coach will not expect him to be burning up energy handling the ball in the backcourt. In some cases, Green may be acting as the PG, but not all the time.

So what happens if Bernardi goes down or has limited minutes?? Who will be our backcourt guy. I would hope that Buie could step in - frankly because I don't think others on the team can be relied upon as lead ball handlers. Last year it was Nesmith - and he was fine in that role.

Now if Green is going to function as PG, I think his minutes may have to go down slightly, but I don't think that going to happen.

Maybe given the team mix, we will see a slight (and I mean slight) leaning more to having a stronger presence in the front court rather than the classic 3 guard approach (although Tankley as the 3 is not really a guard). Just saying, maybe there will be a slight shift.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agreed Cards, like I said, 1 injury away - losing Eliel puts the PG spot in a very thin position - who can run it right? Only one I've seen that has the ability is Green, and it's not really ideal, but most likely how they'll have to do it

I may be over-focused on a wing guard, BUT I still maintain they needed another guard this yr, esp now

The team has potential to be very good, but there are some major ?

- Has Bernardi developed any effective D, or any ability to create his own shot? If not he really shouldn't be a starter, and DEF cannot run the point if he can't get himself open
- Will Robinson bounce back from a very poor Soph yr?
- Nichols I like, but he is a wing forward, not a guard - has he learned to foul less?
- Are the frosh guards talented and mature enough to impact this yr?
- Injury always a risk for every team every yr, so hard to harp on that - and this team does have some depth, but that PG spot is a legit concern IMO

I'm really hoping the 2 new bigs can provide a MAJOR boost - but either way, the reality is as I've said, this team will go as far as Green/Tanksley/Bernardi can take them.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Eliel Gonzalez seems like a nice kid, but this team isn't winning the conference if Green is out and he's playing PG. He's going from a four year program to JUCO. I'm sure Buie will make freshman mistakes, but he just ran a team that won a city championship.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Injury isn't our only concern at PG. What if Green slumps? He wasn't lights-out last year against a weak schedule.

I would prefer to see Buie get a fair amount of PT from Game 1. That way, he'll know what he needs to do by the time conference play begins.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Definitely agree on the above two posts. Nothing we saw from Eliel gave me any semblance of confidence in his ability to play PG at this level. If anything, he only showed how much he doesn't belong.

On the other hand, IMO, we've been discussing Buie as if he is playing basketball for the first time in his life this semester. To echo cactus-- Yes, there will be freshman mistakes. But we'll need him to play maximum 10-15 minutes a game as the primary ball handler, and we'll ask him to do it after he has played 40 minutes a game on a top 50 high school team where he gained experience playing against competition like Oak Hill Academy. I think he'll be serviceable.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I fully agree Eliel wasn't going to be the difference maker, I've been saying they needed another guard even WITH him - now ever moresoe - no he wasn't going to be a superstar likely, but he was a serviceable guy who's been in the system - now they have a true frosh

and I've been high on Buie from day 1, that's not the thing - the thing is you are going for broke this yr, and unless Buie is Speedy-like, he's not going to be the difference maker this yr either - it is NCAA or bust, and another experienced guy can help you get through a long season

regardless, a moot point now - next guy in is for the following yr - this yrs team is set, and they'll either get it done or they won't.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Maybe we should go after this guy... LaSalle's Khalid Lewis will transfer & is eligible immediately - See more at: http://verbalcommits.com/players/khalid ... 1PLP8.dpuf
He's a 6-3 shooting guard
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

I thought I counted 13 players on the latest roster list? am I mistaken or does someone not hav a scholly?
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

bobe13 wrote:I thought I counted 13 players on the latest roster list? am I mistaken or does someone not hav a scholly?
I don't think Fowlkes was given a scholarship
Polito

Post by Polito »

EXCELLENT suggestion HUSID, that young man is absolutely a PERFECT fit for what HU needs this year - PERFECT!

Experienced proven player at the CAA/A10 level - has talent, solid size, work ethic, motor, and is a great defender (think that's a need here?!) - started every game for UD as a frosh, played very well, and has been a very solid contributor at LaSalle, both starting and off the bench - he's an older Sr having sat out a yr, so he's got experience and maturity

He's the kind of guy who can give quality min, can help teach the younger guys, and in an emergency he can step in and lead a team for long stretches of a game, or even long stretches of a season in a worst case scenario - and a 1 and done guy so not wasting any future scholy on a role player

Local tri-state guy with Philly ties - I mean he's about as strong of a 1 yr guy as you can find at that spot for HU this yr at this stage - I'd say this is a kid JM and crew should ABSOLUTELY go for - let's LAND THAT KID ASAP and then focus on filling out 2016!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Polito wrote: and I've been high on Buie from day 1, that's not the thing - the thing is you are going for broke this yr, and unless Buie is Speedy-like, he's not going to be the difference maker this yr either - it is NCAA or bust, and another experienced guy can help you get through a long season
Buie made MSG's All-Met 2nd team. In the video introducing the team, he's actually referred to as being Speedy Claxton-esque. The commentators are very high on him, says he's good enough to be in the NBA and an All-American. Coverage on him starts around 11 minutes 30 seconds into the video.
http://www.msgvarsity.com/2015-all-metr ... -1.1699669
Cards

Post by Cards »

Wow - the commentators could not give him any more praise. We all know he is a recognized floor general (which is great), but I did not realize his shooting % was as high as these guys said.....47% on 3s and 92% from the line. At any level, those numbers are gaudy and impressive. If I didnt like playing golf in the summer weather so much I'd be hoping for the next 5 months to fly by to get to the hoops season!!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Big talent, Big get

Tell ya what, like that video on Jamel Allen - interesting player - looks like he plays with some serious force, a chip on his shoulder - this team really needs a guy like that - great size for a WF also...you know I love that!

I see he only has 1 offer, but HU and SBU watching - he could really be an under the radar guy playing at Brentwood - looks like he's got the goods to me though - majorly athletic, guessing he can play the 3 or 4...curious on this one - anyone have a better take? Just a good highlight clip against bad competition, or is this kid the real deal?
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Polito wrote:EXCELLENT suggestion HUSID, that young man is absolutely a PERFECT fit for what HU needs this year - PERFECT!

Experienced proven player at the CAA/A10 level - has talent, solid size, work ethic, motor, and is a great defender (think that's a need here?!) - started every game for UD as a frosh, played very well, and has been a very solid contributor at LaSalle, both starting and off the bench - he's an older Sr having sat out a yr, so he's got experience and maturity

He's the kind of guy who can give quality min, can help teach the younger guys, and in an emergency he can step in and lead a team for long stretches of a game, or even long stretches of a season in a worst case scenario - and a 1 and done guy so not wasting any future scholy on a role player

Local tri-state guy with Philly ties - I mean he's about as strong of a 1 yr guy as you can find at that spot for HU this yr at this stage - I'd say this is a kid JM and crew should ABSOLUTELY go for - let's LAND THAT KID ASAP and then focus on filling out 2016!!
I sent coach an email about this guy and he said he is aware of him but Hofstra is not going after this profile at present time.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Shite.... I wonder why he's not considered a need. I think he'd be a good stop gap fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk