MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by Polito »

Either would be huge - either can impact/solidify/stabalize the team from first day on the floor

Not great that we're not close enough yet, BUT very good to hear they will only take a difference maker - that's what this team needs with this scholly, not a sometimes guy, an all the time guy
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Hofstra offered DeAndre Hunter (along with a few others)

HAlbeit perhaps not one of the first names that would catch your eye upon scanning the list of players to attend the NBPA Top 100 Camp, DeAndre Hunter more than proved he belonged. The Philadelphia showcased athleticism and competitive zeal during his time in Charlottesville.

The NBPA Camp had to boost DeAndre Hunter’s confidence. While he may have arrived at the event expecting to perform well — he has led Philly Pride in scoring this spring and summer — a throng of reporters greeted him to ask about his play and recruitment. That affirmation served notice that the three star prospect could be on the verge of big things in the coming months.

Hunter is a long, fine athlete who slots as a utility forward. Not a true wing and not a post, he makes plays on the basis of quickness, slinky overall athleticism, good hand-eye coordination and excellent defensive versatility.

He confirmed his own self-perceptions prior to the camp.

”I noticed that I can play with (higher ranked players),” Hunter said. “I think I’m one of the better players in the country as well.”

Awaiting Image
DeAndre Hunter


Friends' Central / 6'7" / 0 lbs

Position
SF

Interest


Analysis
Hunter is a utility forward who boasts strong athleticism and defensive versatility. He's productive thanks to his natural gifts and should further improve as he gets stronger. A combo, he'll need to enhance his handling and shooting in order to transition to the wing full-time.

He views himself as a jack of all trades, which also is exactly how most scouts and college coaches regard his ultimate contributions.

”I think I do everything well, I don’t do anything particularly great, I just try my best to win games and try to do it all,” Hunter said. “Skill wise, I’m working on my dribbling, working on getting my explosiveness together and getting faster.”

Hunter intends to primarily play wing forward in college, and he said three programs are pushing hardest.

”The hardest I would probably say Miami and St. Joe’s, and Georgetown,” Hunter said, adding that the Hurricanes and Hawks have offered while the Hoyas have not.

He said he also holds offers from NC State, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Temple, LaSalle, Rhode Island and Hofstra.

Hunter will compete at the Under Armour camp during July’s first live leg, followed by the UA Finals during the second leg and close out with a trip to Las Vegas to end the month
garyg

Post by garyg »

This guy appears to be out of our reach Zman...he already is involved with some top schools with more sure to follow
Polito

Post by Polito »

this game isn't for the weak my friend - gotta be willing to run with the big dogs, take your shots... guys like that can obviously be a long shot, but it only takes 1 to turn a tide

per Recruit Scoop Twitter:

"Hofstra, Utah Valley, George Washington, Rice, Northeastern, James Madison & Boston U are involved with San Diego State transfer Kevin Zabo."

I would think HU has a great shot to land this one, and I think he could be huge here - kid has played and starred with and against some of the absolute best players in the country, and from what I've read seems like a good character guy as well - looks very open to coming back East - LET'S GET 'EM JM !!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

Buie and Foreman reported to campus today....hopefully the start of a promising 4 years at Hofstra....both kids have a world of talent
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

garyg wrote:Buie and Foreman reported to campus today....hopefully the start of a promising 4 years at Hofstra....both kids have a world of talent
Very, very nice. Good job JAM & Co...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Weren't we recruiting Marvin Prochet of LI Lutheran?

http://www.purpleeagles.com/news/2015/6 ... 55330.aspx
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Jojogunne wrote:Weren't we recruiting Marvin Prochet of LI Lutheran?

http://www.purpleeagles.com/news/2015/6 ... 55330.aspx

We were, until he got injuried. Every school backed off because it was pretty bad, except apparently Niagara, which may have been the only offer left on the table, per NY Post. http://nypost.com/2015/06/19/how-this-h ... holarship/
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein

UConn transfer Terrence Samuel told @CBSSports he will visit Penn State on Tuesday. Two years of eligibility remaining.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Eliel transferring is official, per verbal commits.
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 4840025088
Cards

Post by Cards »

So if our last spot will go to one who has to sit for a year, our backcourt is Green, Bernardi, and the two freshman. Seems to me that both Buie and JWF will be seeing a decent amount of playing time. Green already plays 36 - 38 minutes a game, Bernardi plays a decent amount of minutes, and we need to replace the minutes that Nesmith had (which was fairly substantial). We had better hope that one of the two upperclass gaurds does not go down with or miss time with injuries. I don't want to see Malik, Ameen, nor Jamal handling the ball in the backcourt. As things currently stand, the two freshman may get more than just a taste of action this year (which may turn out to be a good thing)! I'm just a little worried about an unforseen injury.
Polito

Post by Polito »

with that being announced, that makes me think HU is close to announcing a commitment... I hope lol

and yes, I've been saying that for quite some time, this staff needed to land another wing/big guard for THIS season, a quality guy that could come in and not necessarily start, but play solid min and make an impact when he's on the floor

I feel as though they dropped the ball on that and missed a need - they've done a great job so far, this is the first real 'miss' IMO, but it's a miss all the same - they needed a guy in the 6'4/6'5 range - and they still do

now they'll have to bring in a guy to sit - so that guy better be a STUD, because he will need to step on the floor a yr and change from now and play MAJOR min, potentially START, from day 1

Landing a guy like that will lessen the blow - but it's still a concern as you mentioned below for this season. Everyone needs to stay in prayer for that hedge of protection, and to remain healthy and whole!
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

There are a few problems with addressing the guard need this year:

1. I wouldn't really call it a need. Juan'ya is probably going to play 38-39 mins a game which leaves you with three guys you can play at SG (Bernardi, JWF, Buie, sometimes Robinson). There isn't really room for another wing. Go ahead and try to allocate minutes to the entire roster and try not to blow past 200. It's pretty difficult. This roster is stacked as it is.

2. Being that the roster is stacked, they're already heavy favorites in the CAA. This is your team and they should be able to get the job done. It's all about performance on the court, but if they flop majorly I'm not sure one backup wing would have saved them anyway.

3. They need guys for when the 5 seniors leave. Getting a transfer who will sit out will allow that guy to learn the flow of the system before he jumps in and immediately contribute. If you bring in another grad transfer then all you're left with is Bernardi as your likely star player. He's a fineplayer, but he shouldn't be the team's star come 2016-2017.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

I agree that bringing in a transfer guard who has to sit out a year makes a lot of sense. Yes, you will need minutes from the freshmen guards - moreso if there's an injury - but these seem like guys who can handle it right away.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Andersjorstad wrote:There are a few problems with addressing the guard need this year:

1. I wouldn't really call it a need. Juan'ya is probably going to play 38-39 mins a game which leaves you with three guys you can play at SG (Bernardi, JWF, Buie, sometimes Robinson). There isn't really room for another wing. Go ahead and try to allocate minutes to the entire roster and try not to blow past 200. It's pretty difficult. This roster is stacked as it is.

2. Being that the roster is stacked, they're already heavy favorites in the CAA. This is your team and they should be able to get the job done. It's all about performance on the court, but if they flop majorly I'm not sure one backup wing would have saved them anyway.

3. They need guys for when the 5 seniors leave. Getting a transfer who will sit out will allow that guy to learn the flow of the system before he jumps in and immediately contribute. If you bring in another grad transfer then all you're left with is Bernardi as your likely star player. He's a fineplayer, but he shouldn't be the team's star come 2016-2017.
Totally agree here. We have a fluid roster with a lot of flexibility. I realize Tanksley plays more of a 3/4 for us, which is ideal, but it's not like he can't slide into a 2/3 role when needed. Also, we have Jamal Robinson, who, IMO, will rightly have his shot to step up into more of a 6th man role as a 2/3, with Malik next in playing as a 3/4. While it may not be the same as the role that Nesmith played last season, Jamal could provide some much needed "3 and D" in 10-15 minutes a game.

Our most likely starting line up is:
PG- Juan'ya
SG- Bernardi
SF- Ameen
PF- Koon
C- Rokas

That leaves the following, IMO, of who gets minutes next:
Jamal Robinson
Malik Nichols
Djambo
JWF
Buie
Andre Walker

That's a pretty strong 11 man rotation. There are only so many minutes in a game, and Ameen and Juan'ya will be taking up a lot of them. I think that grabbing a solid transfer like Zabo or Samuel is the right move, and I'm pretty happy we don't seem to be looking to add to this season rotation at all.
Cards

Post by Cards »

You are correct about not having enough minutes to go around. Coach will have to do a real good balancing act / doling out playing time (assuming no one plays themselves out of a slot and everyone remailns healthy).

Minutes per game approx. (IMO)
Green 38
Tanksley 30
Bernardi 25
Gustys 25
Koons 17
Djambo 17
Robinson 15
Nichols 13
Walker 10
Buie 5
JWF 5

Given our new found depth up front, maybe some of the Nesmith time goes to the 3/4/5 spots.
Last edited by Cards on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

ProudofPride wrote:Eliel transferring is official, per verbal commits.
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 4840025088
Since he already spent two years at Hofstra is he a community college graduate student? LOL
garyg

Post by garyg »

Just asked JAM if he was close on anything with scholly #13 and his response was," not close on anything right now but still on the grind"...at this point if he can not land a difference maker with scholly #13 just roll it over
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Academically he was a freshman last year so Gonzo has three years left
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

@JonRothstein: UConn transfer Terrence Samuel has committed to Penn State.