MBB @ Towson, Tuesday, 1/11/22, 5 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID80

Re: MBB @ Towson, Tuesday, 1/11/22, 5 PM

Post by HUSID80 »

WORST EFFORT EVER…Towson hits 16 threes a school record.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEACH THESE GUYS TO DEFEND THE CORNER THREE?????
Last edited by HUSID80 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

jaspegs wrote:Is that Coach Mihalich at the end of the bench or am I seeing things?
I saw this last game too and was wondering the same thing. The stream unfortunately has not high res enough for me to tell. Sure looks like it though and he is still technically "on staff" I believe.
Polito

Post by Polito »

This team is really annoying. Frankly, losing interest.

Up and down, super streaky, zero game except shooting 3’s, seen this awful movie before - sitting at the bottom half of the standings with some pitiful losses. Publicly called this team and staff out and they’ve responded poorly at best.

I know I know not at full strength, this program has excuses every year. Tonight they got outclassed from THREE!! This team is NOTHING without shooting from deep. What a joke.

YAWN. Speedy you and this team ain’t ready. And I’m not wasting the energy. I’m not watching another underachieving 3 dependent team choke in this mediocre conference. See ya later, will check in on their status sometime in Feb, see if they are worth the time. And if not then I won’t bother until next year.

So friggin tired of this BS.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The defense was mostly awful again. 87-80 works at JMU when you're on offensively, but not when the other team comes to play D like Towson did tonight.

HU forced no turnovers for most of the second half, not until a 24-second violation with under four minutes left and the game already decided. Not going to beat anyone like that. And certainly not like this: a school-record 16 3s (on 34 attempts) for Towson, many with nearest HU player not even guarding from Baltimore.

They need to focus on playing consistent, serious, intense defense with energy and purpose right now. That is their biggest problem at the moment.

Offensively, how long do we keep giving Ray a pass for games like tonight? I hate to harp on this again because I like the guy and I want to see him succeed. This was also a TEAM loss and he's generally reliable over the long haul, but I have to repeat it because it keeps happening: he has far too many duds for a guy who is supposed to be a star and a leader on this team. We're quick to blame Silverio (by no means am I comparing them at ALL), but Silverio was at least 4/7 from 3 tonight. Will we say anything about yet another no-show for the supposed "star?"

Ray has played a dozen games this year against D-1 competition. One-third have been M.I.A. games:

1/6, 3 pts at Richmond
2/11, 8 pts vs Richmond
1/11, 6 pts at Stony Brook
2/10, 7 pts at Towson

When does he become the consistently productive fifth-year guy HU needs him to be?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Pathetic, yet again.

Had to shut the game off a bit early. This team just doesnt have "it"
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I haven't seen a second of this game yet and maybe I shouldn't but looking at the box score Towson shoots 47% from three and JMU shot 50%. They let Gibson go off for 26 points who averages 10 a game. It's just ugly and inexcusable. I see that Dubar fouled out and scored just three points. What did they even talk about during timeouts and at the half. Ray and Dubar had off games but like has been said here how don't you defend the perimeter it just defies logic. Maybe it's just easier said then done??
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:WEE….WORST EFFORT EVER…Towson hits 16 threes a school record.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TEACH THESE GUYS TO DEFEND THE CORNER THREE?????
If only it were that simple to fix. They give up 3s from the corners, the wings, the top of the arc, from everywhere.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So in terms of just three point shots we're 6th in the league(offensively) at 34.2% and we're worst in the league at defending them at 37.1% tied with Elon. You would think that our main focus as a team in terms of defense would be to concentrate on stopping the three. When you listen to Speedy post press he says we had good shots and we didn't make them and they were hitting their three's. It just seems like there's a disconnect there because in the old days Jam would come out and say our defense was awful we didn't defend the perimeter. It seems that Speedy is implying they just were hot from the outside and we were defenseless in stopping them. So as much as Speedy talked about winning championships with defense he doesn't seem to be doubling down on that at the moment??
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:So in terms of just three point shots we're 6th in the league(offensively) at 34.2% and we're worst in the league at defending them at 37.1% tied with Elon. You would think that our main focus as a team in terms of defense would be to concentrate on stopping the three. When you listen to Speedy post press he says we had good shots and we didn't make them and they were hitting their three's. It just seems like there's a disconnect there because in the old days Jam would come out and say our defense was awful we didn't defend the perimeter. It seems that Speedy is implying they just were hot from the outside and we were defenseless in stopping them. So as much as Speedy talked about winning championships with defense he doesn't seem to be doubling down on that at the moment??
They are capable of it though (most of the Houston game, the Duquense game, the Arkansas game even though they ultimately allowed 81 pts) - it's about consistency and bringing the same level of energy, intensity, focus and communication, rotating well, closing out on shooters with purpose - every game, not just when they feel like it. Too many of those 16 Towson 3s last night weren't contested. That can't happen. There are offensive issues too, but they'll generally score enough in most games that if they play defense the way they should, the way they've shown they can at times, and do it consistently, they'll have a good season. They also need to use their defense to create offense and easy buckets. That was a stated thing they wanted to do which they don't do enough of. Towson was far too comfortable offensively last night. They need to start making opposing offenses uncomfortable.