Hofstra vs James Madison 1/9/22

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Hofstra vs James Madison 1/9/22

Post by EvanJ »

Hofstra wrote: Nice win. Cant trust this team yet though, so I wont get too excited. Didnt like seeing Omar on the court at all though.
With Cooks injured and Ray in foul trouble, Silverio was going to play. He didn't do much good or bad. Ray made 4 of 5 twos, and 2 of 6 threes. He raised his percentage shooting twos from .270 to .333. His missed two was a layup with 1:11 left. He scored 15. Carlos had 2 assists, but 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 5 minutes doesn't make me want to see him play much. Burgess scored 7, and his previous season-high was 3. I wish he had more than 2 assists in 27 minutes, but on a good note he had no turnovers and his first block since the third game, which was at Iona. Cramer shot 3-4 and scored 6 in 12 minutes, but we were -12 when he played, and +18 when Iyiola played. stuball888 wrote about some players. Estrada shot 7-18, but that's okay when a guy has 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and few mistakes with 2 turnovers and no fouls playing the whole game. Those two games are tied for his season-high in minutes. JMU entered leading the CAA with 4.91 fewer turnovers than their opponents, and we were second with 4.64 fewer.

Our field goal percentage of .471 was better than our season's .462, our three-point field goal percentage of .357 was better than our season's .345, and our free throw percentage of .867 was better than our season's .778.

Each team had 13 rebounds at halftime, and we had 22 in the second half to finish with more, 35 to 27. It was the fewest rebounds we allowed since we allowed 24 in an 82-73 win at UNCW 22 games ago. We had a giant advantage in points off turnovers, 27 to 10. We dominated offensive rebounds 14 to 6 and second chance poinst 12 to 5. JMU had more bench points, 29 to 13. We had more points in the paint, 38 to 30, and it's good to make ten threes and have more points in the paint. We dominated fast break points, 18 to 5. We had 3 more assists, 19 to 16, and 2 more steals, 7 to 5, and each team had 3 blocks. JMU had for 21:40, was tied for 4:32, and we led for 13:29. There were 23 lead changes and 9 ties.

Here are how individual statistis changed:

Ray: 15.4 to 15.3 points, 4 rebounds decreased his average but it still rounds to 4.3, .404 to .415 field goal percentage, .455 to .448 three-point field goal percentage

Estrada: 13.9 to 14.3 points, 5.6 to 5.7 rebounds, 4.8 to 4.9 assists

Dubar: 12.7 to 13.1 points, 5.6 to 5.5 rebounds, 0.8 to exactly 1 assist, remains with exactly 1 block

Silverio: 11.8 to 11.3 points, 3.4 to 3.2 rebounds

Iyiola: 8.2 to 8.8 points, 8.7 to 9.3 rebounds, .649 to .646 field goal percentage (if we play and he plays, he will qualify for statistics leaders after Saturday)

Burgess: 0.8 to 1.3 points, 2.7 to 2.6 assists

Cramer: 5.9 to 5.9 points (6 today increased it by 0.005), 3.8 to 3.6 rebounds, .694 to .698 field goal percentage

How are how team statistics changed:

Points Allowed: 71.6 to exactly 72
Rebounds: 35.1 to 35.1 (35 today decreased it by 0.005)
Assists: 16.4 to 16.6
Fouls: 13.9 to 13.9 (14 today increased it by 0.005)
Turnovers: 10.3 to 10.3 (10 today decreased it by 0.02)
Turnover margin: +4.64 to +4.93 (+ means fewer than our opponents)
Assists/turnovers: 1.60 to 1.62
Wags wrote: Let's if they get stops here down the stretch.
They did.
Hof_Judge99 wrote: did anyone else have trouble with the feed being really blurry? Reception seemed way worse than the W&M game. Good thing Tuesday (covid permitting) is on tv.
I had problems, but it wasn't blurry. It paused where I had to refresh, jumped to earlier parts of the game, and showed commercials during the game. I hope it was JMU's fault and those things won't happen to all games are Flo.

Charleston won 65-61 hosting Elon, and Towson won 70-67 hosting Northeastern. Northeastern is the only team to play CAA games, and they're winless. JMU is 0-1 while leading the CAA in overall winning percentage. After Northeastern plays at JMU on Tuesday, one of them will be winless.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

This was a gut check win. They punched us in the face early, we were down a couple of guys, as usual, and we were in foul trouble.

Their penchant for turnovers saved the day. We’ve played so many close games down the stretch…it’s now paying off.

Good win…surely they wanted to give those “Northeners” a little taste of JMU revenge for the CAA knocking them out of the tourney,
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cards wrote:I like what I saw from Beybe - he's running the court really well and is starting to show a nice shooting touch. He's playing tough and hard.

Good all around game from Dstone. He was a real get!

Very disappointed in JC. I know he's only a freshman, but man, he has been more of a liability than a contributor.

Omar... well.......
Carlos would have benefited from redshirting this year.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2022/1/9/men ... dison.aspx is Hofstra's recap.

https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-baske ... core/11476 is the box score.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... M#team.ind has our statistics.

https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... NFLDRS.HTM has CAA statistics. In scoring, Cooks is first, Ray is second, and Estrada is fourth. We are the only team with three of a conference's top four scorers, and Coppin State is the only other team with two of the top four including the leader. We could have first, second, and fourth in scoring, first in rebounds, and first and fourth in assists. James Butler leads with 9.7 rebounds. Iyiola has 9.3, and he would be third if he qualified. Estrada leads in assists, and Cooks is fourth.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After watching the replay of this game and funky things going on even with the replay as has already been mentioned compliments of Flo Sports saw a good competitive game. We didn't guard the three point line most of the game and gave them a lot of open looks. We let them shoot 50% otherwise we could have won this game without going down to the final few minutes. Big game for Bey who did a little of everything and was solid from the charity stripe and of course had 15 boards. Also a big game from both Estrada who's so smooth and Dubar who had some good defensive efforts as well as scoring. Ray only played 30 minutes but was able to score inside the arc on some good drives and crazy like shots. We need to get this team healthy because we're really missing Cooks on both sides of the ball. Even though Burgess stepped up in this game and thank God he did we weren't getting much from Omar other then 2 steals and got even less from Carlos. Carlos couldn't guard Morse and was giving him too much room. I don't know if CARLOS SHOULD HAVE REDSHIRTED because he's getting valuable minutes that he wouldn't have gotten from the bench but where in the world is this kids offensive game scoring 90 points multiple times in H.S. games. We don't know who the opponents were but clearly he has not brought that part of his game here. Hoping for a Speedy recovery for Cooks because now is when we need him for CAA play.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Anyone see Simmons? Was he dressed? Did he warmup?

As I said before, good to see Burgess contribute. We’re going to need him while Cooks is hurt.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Regarding Carlos the feeling I get is he may have been a bit overrated coming out of high school...yes, I realize he was recruited by some big programs and yes I realize some guys like JWF and CJ had slow starts to their Hofstra careers but JC does not overwhelm you with his athleticism and/or skills...
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID80 wrote:Anyone see Simmons? Was he dressed? Did he warmup?

As I said before, good to see Burgess contribute. We’re going to need him while Cooks is hurt.
Yes HUSID, I mentioned in an earlier post that I was hoping to see some activity from Simmons. Unfortunately, he was wearing sweats and standing at midcourt (along with Cooks and Barouck) during pregame warmups. I would think that if he can't even participate in layups and shootarounds, he is still quite far from playing in games. Too bad.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Will they redshirt Simmons this year? He has already missed 15 games
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Let's slow down on the JC being overrated takes... the kids a freshman with very little playing time on a team with three PGs in front of him on the depth chart.

For every Charles Jenkins and Speedy Claxton, there are plenty of Loren Stokes and JWFs... they need year one to acclimate and develop.

I'd assume JC came here for playing time vs. taking one of his bigger offers, so I'm happy he's seeing the court. Let's hope that a silver lining of the injuries is he gets to speed up that development time.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HU87 wrote:Let's slow down on the JC being overrated takes... the kids a freshman with very little playing time on a team with three PGs in front of him on the depth chart.

For every Charles Jenkins and Speedy Claxton, there are plenty of Loren Stokes and JWFs... they need year one to acclimate and develop.

I'd assume JC came here for playing time vs. taking one of his bigger offers, so I'm happy he's seeing the court. Let's hope that a silver lining of the injuries is he gets to speed up that development time.
Complexly agree. JC definitely has some work to do; but let's face it if he didn't then he probably would have gone to a high major. he has shown flashes at times. Speedy will work with him and I am sure he will take a big step up for next season. Also remember he really wasn't challenged much his senior year in high school due to the whole covid schedule changes in the NYC high school leagues.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

HU87 wrote:Let's slow down on the JC being overrated takes... the kids a freshman with very little playing time on a team with three PGs in front of him on the depth chart.

FYI Charles Jenkins red shirted his freshman year in 2006-2007
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Will they redshirt Simmons this year? He has already missed 15 games
You're assuming he wants to redshirt? Speedy said he would be back to help during the CAA part of the schedule but the way things are of TOP SECRET around here we don't know much of anything that's going on.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

CTDutch wrote:

FYI Charles Jenkins red shirted his freshman year in 2006-2007
Lets be clear here Carlos has been in numerous games and is averaging as of right now almost 12 minutes a game. JWF IN HIS FRESHMAN YEAR AVERAGED 4 minutes a game. Carlos as of right now is playing almost identical minutes to Desure who averaged 12.6 a game in his freshman year. Desure also averaged 3 points a game while Carlos is averaging 1.7. JC is 1-11 from beyond the arc and has 17 assists and 13 turnovers in those limited minutes. So yes he's a freshman who was touted quite a bit definitely by Speedy and Speedy has given him important minutes against Arkansas or 17 Monmouth 21 and William AND Mary 22. He scored 6 points against Monmouth. He doesn't look like the most athletic kid on the floor but clearly he has plenty of upside. Lets just watch his development and maybe he starts to get less minutes after Caleb's play vs JMU OR MAYBE he starts to contribute more??
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:
stuball888 wrote:Will they redshirt Simmons this year? He has already missed 15 games
You're assuming he wants to redshirt? Speedy said he would be back to help during the CAA part of the schedule but the way things are of TOP SECRET around here we don't know much of anything that's going on.
I recall that quote triplec. I would think that once a player is healthy but still getting back into playing shape, he would be out on the court participating in warmups. Seeing him still in warmup gear makes me think he is still weeks away from game action. Hope I'm wrong.

Regarding JC, I commented that I was slightly disappointed (after qualifying the statement with "I realize he's only a freshman"). I don't think that I'm down on his skills, because he has already shown that he can handle the ball, pass, and dish. His shooting has been poor, but that I attribute to 1st year jitters (I think his skill at shooting is fine). What disappoints me the most is that it looks like he is not exceptionally athletic (speed and quickness). Of course, he's a D1 athlete, so he is obviously an athlete, but in comparison to other guards he looks slow to me. On D, other guards blow past him, and during normal play, he does not exhibit a lot of foot speed. He does not move like a Cooks or an Estrada (I'd say those two are both quick and fast). I just don't think you "learn" quickness and speed". Thats not to say that JC won't continue to develop and improve - I'm sure he will. What I'm saying is that maybe I expected too much and maybe he was overhyped. Maybe he'll end up being just a stud and not a superstud! :lol:
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
I recall that quote triplec. I would think that once a player is healthy but still getting back into playing shape, he would be out on the court participating in warmups. Seeing him still in warmup gear makes me think he is still weeks away from game action. Hope I'm wrong.

Regarding JC, I commented that I was slightly disappointed (after qualifying the statement with "I realize he's only a freshman"). I don't think that I'm down on his skills, because he has already shown that he can handle the ball, pass, and dish. His shooting has been poor, but that I attribute to 1st year jitters (I think his skill at shooting is fine). What disappoints me the most is that it looks like he is not exceptionally athletic (speed and quickness). Of course, he's a D1 athlete, so he is obviously an athlete, but in comparison to other guards he looks slow to me. On D, other guards blow past him, and during normal play, he does not exhibit a lot of foot speed. He does not move like a Cooks or an Estrada (I'd say those two are both quick and fast). I just don't think you "learn" quickness and speed". Thats not to say that JC won't continue to develop and improve - I'm sure he will. What I'm saying is that maybe I expected too much and maybe he was overhyped. Maybe he'll end up being just a stud and not a superstud! :lol:
Good points Cards I see with my eyes the same thing you do. JC seems to get beat off the dribble often and he needs to anticipate better perhaps to make up for this and possibly his skill set is better suited to us playing zone not man to man.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Carlos looked faster and lighter in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmMcwRfYf8
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Carlos looked faster and lighter in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GmMcwRfYf8
Yeah true but maybe he has put on muscle and weight making him a step slower. He's not going to get many layups like those playing at the D1 level especially if he's sluggish now and also the competition he's playing against is much quicker, bigger and more athletic. He may score on floaters in the lane but his three point shot has not been very good. Probably needs a confidence booster in a game or two to get him going.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Normally you dont judge a recruit until his or her junior year Frehman year everything going 120 mph Sophomore year its 90 mph Junior year 60 mph by senior year its 30 mph
The best thing about freshmen is they turn into juniors and seniors
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:Normally you dont judge a recruit until his or her junior year Frehman year everything going 120 mph Sophomore year its 90 mph Junior year 60 mph by senior year its 30 mph
The best thing about freshmen is they turn into juniors and seniors
All true but JC was hyped out of control especially with the 90 point scoring games in High School. That set the bar high otherwise the level of disappointment would not be all that great.