Game 13 @Monmouth, 12/22/21, 7 PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
EvanJ

Re: Game 13 @Monmouth, 12/22/21, 7 PM

Post by EvanJ »

We made threes to go from down 9-3 to up 24-14. Ray has 3 threes and 2 free throws. Silverio has 3 of our first 6 assists, and he entered averaging 1.25 assists.

Edit: We lead 34-20. We made 8 of 15 threes. We have 8 assists and 2 turnovers, and that's without any assists by our three players with the most this season.
Last edited by EvanJ on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

EvanJ wrote:We made threes to go from down 9-3 to up 24-14. Ray has 3 threes and 2 free throws. Silverio has 3 of our first 6 assists, and he entered averaging 1.25 assists.

Now 34-20, Dubar has a sweet stroke from deep and Carlos has looked pretty good, probably already passed Burgess on the depth chart.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Our lead peaked at 18 and is 43-29 with 3:53 left in the half. Estrada has no points, 1 rebound, and no assists. Silverio got fouled in the act of shooting a three twice and made 5 free throws, and he has a career-high 4 assists.

Edit: Our lead went down to 10 and is 46-34 at halftime. Ray is the star with 16 points. He shot 4-6 with all of them attempts being threes, and free throws 4-4. He leads all players with 5 rebounds, and has 3 assists. Silverio is other double-digit scorer with 10, but he shot 2-7. He made 1 two, 1 of 6 threes, and 5 of 6 free throws. He leads all players with 4 assists. Dubar scored 9, but he doesn't have a rebound. Iyiola has 5 points and 3 rebounds. Carlos scored 4. Cramer scored 2 and had our only block. Estrada missed 1 shot, had no points, 1 rebound, no assists, and 2 fouls in 9 minutes. We made 2 of our first 7 threes, 6 of our next 8, and none of our last 3. We made our eighth three with 8:00 left and haven't made one since. We have 9 assists, and continue to avoid mistakes with 4 turnovers and 6 fouls. Shavar Reynolds scored 10 and is Monmouth's only double-digit scorer. Walker Miller scored 7 and leads them with 4 rebounds. We used seven players, and Monmouth used ten.
Last edited by EvanJ on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Up 46-34 at the break, and without Cooks and without Estrada scoring at all, at Monmouth, is very impressive thus far. We'll see how the second half goes, but if they play as well as they did in the first half, this could be a turning point game for them. The way they've gone this year, a letdown after the Arkansas win might've been expected. But what's great to see thus far is that they didn't only rely on hot 3-pt. shooting (8/18 with Ray going 4/6), they also got to the line 14 times (making 12). Even Silverio, a cold 1/6 from 3, is still 5/6 at the stripe. That's the way they win. Don't only rely on the 3, even when those are going in. Find other ways to score as well.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

We lead 65-50. Estrada scored 7 after being scoreless at halftime. Ray has 19. After committing 6 fouls in the first half, we have 6 with 11:12 left, so Monmouth could attempt a lot of free throws that makes the game take longer regardless of the margin.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Hofstra wins 77-71, doubt that’s a unicorn score but another real nice road win. I know we didn’t have Cooks but I can’t be the only one concerned about only playing 7 guys, looked like we were running out of gas but Monmouth had to use up so much of their energy to get back in it. 6-5 OOC vs D1, better than I thought we’d be given the tough schedule.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Its still a solid road win against a very good mid major. We hit our free throws down the stretch and DD came up big in the end. With this team its pick your poison, Estrada, Ray , Dubar, Cooks, Siverio or Bam-Bam.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Not even going to complain at all about Monmouth making a run to make it interesting late.

This was a quality win. No Cooks, Estrada scoreless in the first half, and they still put up 46 in the first half and take a 12-point lead at halftime? And then they come out with purpose in the second half, after Monmouth had a chance to regroup in the locker room, and they build on that halftime lead to get it up to 18? And they do that and hold on for a nice win over a team that not only has road wins over Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, but which was only a 2-point season-opening loss at Charlotte and a 5-point loss at St. John's from entering tonight's game 12-0? That's a very good job by the Pride under any circumstances, but in particular, when they could have had a big letdown after the huge win at Arkansas. That tells me they learned a lot from that second half at Stony Brook and it's a great way to head into the start of CAA play. Bring on the "real" season. Hofstra's ready and the rest of the CAA is on notice.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Great win, lots to be happy with. It does make the second half of the Stony Brook game all the more bewildering, but I hope that loss sticks with the team and fuels them through conference play.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Ray led us with 19 points. He made 5 of 9 threes, missed all 3 twos, and made all 4 free throws. For the season he shoots threes .471 and twos .257. I wonder if there are any other players who shoot threes over .200 better than twos with at least 2.5 attempts per game of each kind. He had 6 rebounds, led us with 5 assists, and had 1 steal, 1 block, 1 foul, and 1 turnover. Dubar had 15 points, 5 rebounds, and 1 block. He made 4 of 9 field goals and all 4 free throws. Silverio scored 15, but shot 4-14 because he shot threes 2-11. He made 5 of 6 free throws, which were all from being fouled in the act of shooting threes. He had 4 rebounds, and a career-high 4 assists, all of which were in the first 9:36. Estrada made his first basket with 18:17 left and scored 9. He shot 4-8 with no free throw attempts. He had 4 rebounds, and his assist/turnover ratio got much worse with 2 assists and 3 turnovers. Iyiola just missed a double-double with 9 points and 11 assists. He shot 3-7 and shot free throws 3-4. He played 30 minutes until he fouled out with 2:53 left, which was our third foul out and first foul out by a forward. Carlos scored 6 by shooting 3-7 without attempting a three or a free throw. He played 20 minutes. He averaged 3 minutes per team game in our first 10 games and is averaging 19 minutes in our last 3 games. He committed 4 fouls. Cramer scored 4 by shooting 2-3. He had 3 rebounds, 1 block, and played 10 minutes. We only used 7 players.

Walker Miller shot 9-12 and led all players with 26 points. Shavar Reynolds scored 16. Marcus McClary had the only double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Their other 7 players combined to shoot 6-23 and score 19 points. Monmouth had only 1 block and 2 steals.

We shot field goals better .417 to .411, threes better .355 to .321, and free throws better .889 to .800. We had 1 more rebound (36 to 35), 1 more assist (15 to 14), and each team committed 19 fouls. Monmouth had more turnovers (13 to 10) that led to us having more points off turnovers (14 to 10). Each team had 9 offensive rebounds, and Monmouth had 1 more second chance point (9 to 8). Monmouth had 1 more bench point (11 to 10), we had 6 more points in the paint (22 to 16), and we had 3 more fast break points (7 to 4). We led for 35:14 and trailed for 4:29.

Here are how our individual statistics changed:

Ray: 14.6 to 15.0 points, 4.1 to 4.3 rebounds, 1.4 to 1.7 assists, .462 to .471 three-point field goal percentage

Dubar: 13.3 to 13.5 points (passed Estrada), 6.0 to 5.9 rebounds, .586 to .575 field goal percentage

Estrada: 13.8 to 13.4 points, 5.8 to 5.6 rebounds, 5.3 to 5.1 assists, 2.13 to 2.00 assist/turnover ratio

Silverio: 11.8 to 12.0 points, 3.3 to 3.4 rebounds, 1.3 to 1.5 assists, .388 to .363 three-point field goal percentage

Iyiola: 8.5 to 8.6 points, 8.1 to 8.4 rebounds, 2.5 to 2.8 fouls, .727 to .686 field goal percentage

Cramer: 6.5 to 6.3 points, 3.9 to 3.8 rebounds

Carlos: 1.6 to 2.1 points, 0.9 to 1.3 fouls

Here are how our team statistics changed:

Points Allowed: 72.3 to 72.2
Point Differential: +8.0 to +7.8
Rebounding Margin: -2.2 to -1.9
Assists: 17.4 to 17.2
Steals: 7.8 to 7.6
Turnover Margin: 4.3 fewer to 4.2 fewer
Field Goal Percentage: .479 to .475
Three-Point Field Goal Percentage: .3602 to .3598
Free Throw Percentage: .752 to .768
Threes Made: 10.4 to 10.5
Assist/Turnover Ratio: 1.71 to 1.70
Percent of Field Goal Attempts That Are Threes: 45.2 to 45.7

Charleston led by 12 with 5:40 left, went down 2, and won 82-80 at Old Dominion. The CAA went 4-1 today with UNCW, Charleston, and us winning as underdogs. The CAA is up to 53-56 (.486) nonconference vs. Division I, which is 15th of 32 conferences. The CAA is up to 12th in the Conference RPI. The only way of knowing the NET is the NCAA's daily update, and the CAA entered today 15th in the Conference NET. Last season the CAA was 16th in the NET, 19th in the RPI, and .414 nonconference vs. Division I, so the CAA is better this season. Brian Mull tweeted that the CAA is 14th in KenPom, which is the CAA's best since they ended 2015-2016 in 12th.

We're 29th in the RPI, so the RPI thinks we're about as good as on Selection Sunday in 2006 when we were 24-6 and got snubbed. We're 19th in SOS, and for now we have a better SOS than every ACC team.
Last edited by EvanJ on Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Will take this win everyday. Could have had a letdown after the Arkansas win, Estrada a non factor in the first half and Cooks was injured.

Then we go out and school what is arguably one of the best teams in the Met area and at home nonetheless.

Ray set the tone early and the rest of the guys chimed in later.

Was really impressed with Cramers work after BEBAY fouled out…time to take a breath boys, enjoy the holidays and come out strong on the road in the beginning of CAA play.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID80 wrote: Was really impressed with Cramers work after BEBAY fouled out…time to take a breath boys, enjoy the holidays and come out strong on the road in the beginning of CAA play.
I don't know if the first CAA games can be "must win," but we should win both without them being close at the end. William & Mary is 0-12 vs. Division I, and Elon is 1-10 vs. Division I. If we're in first after 6 games including at James Madison and Towson, we will be in great shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQCHS8b3K4Q is highlights.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Evan a quick correction I'm sure u would have picked it up; Quote; Iyiola just missed a double-double with 9 points and 11 assists. Obviously if he had 11 assists that would have been unbelievable but 11 rebounds is damn good. Just wanted to congratulate some of the unsung heroes obviously Ray had a big game and Dubar made major contributions. As off as Silverio can be and he wasn't good he still plays hard gets rebounds and assists but without him shadowing Pappas in this game and just being relentless playing in your face D we probably wouldn't have won. Anyone who was able to watch this game would bare this out. As much as we played well for about 35 minutes or so our fouls came back to haunt us getting into the bonus much too early on a very good FT shooting team. Without the advantage of shooting FT's and stopping the clock we would have won this game by double digits. Also not to knock Carlos but the absence of Estrada down the stretch hurt us because we just didn't have the firepower to offset their run. Carlos had a few good looks when he penetrated but didn't attempt a three and he's not the scorer yet that Estrada is obviously. But give him kudos for doing a good job handling the ball while getting pressed in the backcourt everytime down.

IDK if anyone paid any attention to Speedy doing the post presser and he said the "team worked its BALLS off". Definitely a far cry from JAM'S post press conferences. I guess these things are acceptable now!
Last edited by triplec2195 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Also mentioned at the post game press conference was that cooks should be back next game and expressed optimism Simmons would be ready. Glad someone asked about the injuries since it seems Speedy is pretty forthcoming with his answers.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

triplec2195 wrote:Evan a quick correction I'm sure u would have picked it up; Quote; Iyiola just missed a double-double with 9 points and 11 assists. Obviously if he had 11 assists that would have been unbelievable but 11 rebounds is damn good. Just wanted to congratulate some of the unsung heroes obviously Ray had a big game and Dubar made major contributions. As off as Silverio can be and he wasn't good he still plays hard gets rebounds and assists but without him shadowing Pappas in this game and just being relentless playing in your face D we probably wouldn't have won. Anyone who was able to watch this game would bare this out. As much as we played well for about 35 minutes or so our fouls came back to haunt us getting into the bonus much too early on a very good FT shooting team. Without the advantage of shooting FT's and stopping the clock we would have won this game by double digits. Also not to knock Carlos but the absence of Estrada down the stretch hurt us because we just didn't have the firepower to offset their run. Carlos had a few good looks when he penetrated but didn't attempt a three and he's not the scorer yet that Estrada is obviously. But give him kudos for doing a good job handling the ball while get pressed in the backcourt everytime down.

IDK if anyone paid any attention to Speedy doing the post presser and he said the "team worked its BALLS off". Definitely a far cry from JAM'S post press conferences. I guess these things are acceptable now!
Good Points here Triple2195
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:Also mentioned at the post game press conference was that cooks should be back next game and expressed optimism Simmons would be ready. Glad someone asked about the injuries since it seems Speedy is pretty forthcoming with his answers.
Yes, he did say Cooks will be back next game. Probably not a bad idea to not have him play last night and give him a longer period to rest the hip and be ready for conf play.

Yes, he did say SImmons would be ready. It will be very interesting to see how him coming back into the rotation will impact playing time for some others. I would assume, his minutes will be limited at first, but whose minutes does he get?? BeyBey is playing well, so I can't see him losing minutes. Will Cramer take the hit? Does anyone think there will be short periods of time when Cramer will play the 4 with BeyBey or Simmons at the 5? Its a good problem for Speedy to have, but still might make someone unhappy.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HofstraMathew wrote:Also mentioned at the post game press conference was that cooks should be back next game and expressed optimism Simmons would be ready. Glad someone asked about the injuries since it seems Speedy is pretty forthcoming with his answers.
That's awesome news...can't wait to see the team at full strength! I keep looking at the transfer portal for Burgess and maybe Bethea...Burgess got no minutes against Monmouth, so its now clear that Carlos is Cook's and Estrada's backup going forward.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Go Pride!

We go into the CAA with a respectful 8-5 record.

I see both a team that is growing and coming together and coach that is calm and collective during the game and honest and candid in pressers – I like what I am seeing.

Speedy said they were going to have an open-free-flowing offense and play tough defense – so far he has delivered as promised.

I (and others) said in prior posts – some of these road losses (Houston, Iona, Maryland and Richmond) were going to beneficial to this team if we can learn from them – I feel the Arkansas and last night against Monmouth showed we are learning – not spitting the bit in those games made us ready – ready for big games; better closing it out when teams make their surges. Although I do not feel the same about the Stony Brook was not a “good” loss – however we followed that sh*tshow up with the quality wins very tough road games against Arkansas/Monmouth.

BURGESS – no minutes – curious without a deep bench available last night

CARLOS – nice handle – you see the skill set is there – but this isn’t NYC High School ball – he needs to learn spacing and the speed/talent of his opponents

IYIOLA – is going to the key to our season – could have easily (and should most nights) had a double/double (missed some easy ones last night around the basket)

CRAMER – less of a roll then I could have ever expected – but gives us good minutes

ESTRADA – gives us a well rounded most versatile team player – leads the team in defensive rebounds

DUBAR – quietly our most unassuming toughest player (might be my favorite player this year) – not mentioned like the others but top (at least top 3) minutes/most shooting percentage(s);rebounds; blocked shots; steals – love him here at Hofstra

RAY – is Ray – the numbers might not be as impressive – but playing in a new balanced offense has him scoring less but shooting better and get a board or two more then prior seasons

COOKS – love his energy – he can score in bunches – hope he comes back plays in the “system” – we have 5 others besides Cooks that could/should have scoring averages in double figures

SIMMONS – that will be a welcome addition for conference play if as reported by Simmons is back soon

BETHEA – I can imagine that is anything other grades – pure speculation

Have a Merry Christmas – stay safe and keep chillin’
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Cards wrote:
Yes, he did say Cooks will be back next game. Probably not a bad idea to not have him play last night and give him a longer period to rest the hip and be ready for conf play.

Yes, he did say SImmons would be ready. It will be very interesting to see how him coming back into the rotation will impact playing time for some others. I would assume, his minutes will be limited at first, but whose minutes does he get?? BeyBey is playing well, so I can't see him losing minutes. Will Cramer take the hit? Does anyone think there will be short periods of time when Cramer will play the 4 with BeyBey or Simmons at the 5? Its a good problem for Speedy to have, but still might make someone unhappy.
My guess would be Dubar would get more rest and Cramer and he would split the 4 with Bey/Simmons at the 5.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:

Iyiola fouled out last night; if Simmons can even just give me a few breaks during the game it will help overall. Iyiola can be fresher and more aggressive.