Hofstra vs Arkansas 12/18 Saturday

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Hofstra vs Arkansas 12/18 Saturday

Post by HUSID74 »

dutchalum01 wrote:Newsday and New York Post not doing us any favors. On the other hand, GREAT write up by CBS.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... azorbacks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, the CBS story tells it all! Too bad our hometown paper, the rag known as Newsday missed the whole story choosing instead to lead with SB's thrilling winn over nationall acclaimed St. Peter's....NOT!!!!

Check out the lockerroom celebration...AWESOME!!!!
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The win was a good SBU mouthwash...makes the Monmouth game big. We definitely would like to roll into CAA play firing on all cylinders. The Stony Brook loss may have been the punch in the face we needed.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

I’d love to see some highlights when JC was on the floor. Makes you wonder if he will see more floor time moving forward when Cook returns.

EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

dutchalum01 wrote: I’d love to see some highlights when JC was on the floor. Makes you wonder if he will see more floor time moving forward when Cook returns.
If he plays, and Cooks and Simmons return, we could use ten players in games, which is a lot by our standards. There aren't highlights on YouTube. It's unfortunate that yesterday did not have video, and our win at UCLA was on Pac-12 Networks with no free or paid way to watch online if you did not get Pac-12 Networks from your TV provider.

Iyiola passed Cramer in minutes, 19.6 to 19.4. Iyiola averages 2.0 more points and over double the rebounds, some statistics are close, and Cramer's small advantage is more blocked shots 0.9 to 0.5. They started 6 games each, and it's clear Iyiola deserves to start. We've had a lot of seasons where one starting forward changed. In 2017-2018, Joel Angus III lost his starting spot and then got injured, which made Stafford Trueheart start. In 2018-2019, Trueheart started 9 games before Tareq Coburn became a starter. Last season David Green started 8 games before Cramer became a starter. So far Cramer is copying Trueheart by becoming a starter during his redshirt freshman season and losing his starting spot to a transfer during his sophomore season.

The attendance of 14,685 was the highest since 20,112 saw us lose at Louisville on November 12, 2013. It was our seventh highest regular season attendance since 1998-1999. The America East has the attendance for our 2000 NCAA Tournament game against Oklahoma State that was 19,351, but does not have the attendance for our 2001 NCAA Tournament game against UCLA. The other higher attendances were 16,300 at Kansas on November 13, 2009; 18,013 at Syracuse on December 22, 2006; 19,460 at Syracuse on December 30, 2004; 17,950 at Maryland on November 29, 2003; and 15,614 at Syracuse on December 4, 2001. Among the teams we went to during that time with lower attendances are Notre Dame, Connecticut, St. John's, UCLA (only 4,836), Providence, Georgia Tech (the attendance was 918 and I wonder if it is missing a digit), California, Purdue, Gonzaga, and North Carolina State; albeit some of them have capacities under 14,685.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

First off, tremendous win for this team. After their Friday flight out of Washington was cancelled, our guys didn't arrive in Arkansas until Saturday morning. Tough way to start a road game.

In his postgame interview, Coach Musselman said that Bay-Bay (Iyiola) dominated his former team on effort, that Hofstra played harder than Arkansas, and that this was his most disappointing loss in seven years as a college coach:

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/

Also, it sounds like our zone defense surprised the Razorbacks. That cat's out of the bag; future opponents will be ready.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Jojogunne wrote: Also, it sounds like our zone defense surprised the Razorbacks. That cat's out of the bag; future opponents will be ready.
Although Speedy told the team after the game, "Whether it was zone, man, you guys defended." So I think they understand the message now - whatever D they're going to play, play it with purpose, energy, focus, determination, and good communication and they can defend well against almost anyone they face.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

daHUPride wrote:In typical local rag NEWSDAY fashion….
No Mention of our Big W against Top Ranked Arkansas…
But they squeezed in SB “big” win against St Peter’s and St J loss to Pitt….
As always thanks for nothin’ Newsday.
Newsday did in fact have a nice article and a big photo of the game with the HEADLINE HOFSTRA UPSETS ARKANSAS on page A53. Right opposite coverage of the St Johns loss which is on the left page.
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

triplec2195 wrote:
Newsday did in fact have a nice article and a big photo of the game with the HEADLINE HOFSTRA UPSETS ARKANSAS on page A53. Right opposite coverage of the St Johns loss which is on the left page.
That’s great to hear!! We need Hofstra to up their marketing and get this team out there. Need to figure out how to get some fans in the stands. I’m jacked for the Monmouth game.

Wags

Post by Wags »

SInce this is tough to find for this game, here are some highlights:
https://twitter.com/HofstraMBB/status/1 ... 2395317254

I like the poise they showed in the handshake line. You could see some of them were gushing, ready to get back to the locker room and celebrate, but they held it back and remained respectful shaking hands with Arkansas.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Really great highlights of this game all HU baskets and Arkansas misses. Really impressive ball handling by Carlos working against their press. Awesome footage.
https://youtu.be/NTtdFXiZfYY
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Didn't realize the crowd was so big. Good color, Evan. 14,685 is a lot of hurt hogs. As they say, pigs get slaughtered. (Not very kosher, however.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Great win, wish I could have seen it instead of following along on statbroadcast

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

triplec2195 wrote:
It was the AP Arkansas writer...didn't even mention the travel troubles, etc...not your hometown newspaper I'm sorry
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:Great win, wish I could have seen it instead of following along on statbroadcast

https://youtu.be/NTtdFXiZfYY
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

dutchalum01 wrote:I’d love to see some highlights when JC was on the floor. Makes you wonder if he will see more floor time moving forward when Cook returns.

https://youtu.be/NTtdFXiZfYY Watch the entire video there are a lot of JC on this video.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

JC looked very good handling the ball. Could this mean he'll get added minutes?
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:
dutchalum01 wrote:I’d love to see some highlights when JC was on the floor. Makes you wonder if he will see more floor time moving forward when Cook returns.

https://youtu.be/NTtdFXiZfYY Watch the entire video there are a lot of JC on this video.
Thanks for the link, not quite the same as watching live, especially after the two crushers earlier this year against ranked teams.

Granted it is all hofstra highlights but Estrada looked like the best player on the court by a mile

joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Good test on Wed. They beat cincy and pitt

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Another highlight video:

https://fb.watch/9-qIlUPkod/
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Nice win, it's clear that this team has the potential to be great. Consistency is the key area for improvement -- when they're mentally locked in they've proven they can hang with and outplay anyone. Pulling out the zone was a bold move and I'd love to see more of it, great call by Speedy & Co. I hope Stony Brook taught them to take every team seriously, no nights off when we hit CAA play.

Monmouth will be another good test. They have a strong defense, we'll probably be considered underdogs.