Game 10 - @Stony Brook, 12/8/21, 7 PM EST

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Re: Game 10 - @Stony Brook, 12/8/21, 7 PM EST

Post by cactus »

Let them hang around in the first half, got them confident, and now hofstra getting pummeled in the second.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

The rebounding is getting bleak. Need to sort that out in games going forward.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Turning this one off with 5 minutes left. Didn't expect this.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Me too embarrassing
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Figured I would check the box and they didn't empty the bench at the end of the game??!? After that performance?? That's messed up.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

cactus wrote: Figured I would check the box and they didn't empty the bench at the end of the game??!? After that performance?? That's messed up.
My mom watched and said they should do that. I said that at most Carlos would come in. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't use more than ten players this season, especially if nobody debuts against John Jay.

Stony Brook had 54 rebounds, which was the most rebounds we allowed since James Madison had 56 on February 9, 2005, and they had that many rebounds because we beat them 95-88 in triple overtime. I have records going back to 1998-1999 except for 2001-2002. If we didn't allow at least 54 rebounds in a game in 2001-2002, tonight was the most we allowed in regulation since Maryland had 55 when they beat us 89-59 on November 20, 1998, which is the first game I have information for.

We became the third Division I team from 2010-2011 to now to have at least 7 blocks, make at least 8 fewer threes, and have at least 21 fewer rebounds. The previous team to do that was Texas-El Paso (UTEP) in a 99-90 double overtime win over Colorado State at a neutral site on November 28, 2015. The other time was a blowout when St. Joseph's did it in a 94-42 loss at Gonzaga on November 19, 2014. My source is the Sports Reference College Basketball Play Index.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

One of the most disgraceful efforts I've seen by a Hofstra basketball team - and I'm watching since 65'. For that matter one of the most disgraceful efforts by any college team. Total lack of effort and hustle. To get outrebounded by 20 is ridiculous! Ray doesn't belong on the court right now and Estrada was in a coma until last couple of minutes. Speedy gets a big fat F in coaching tonight. Getting absolutely crushed on the boards - how about actually playing a bigger lineup - like Cramer and Isiola at the same time - maybe they could actually get a rebound or two. What a joke!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oof. After building the right momentum in the 4 game win streak they blow it all with a truly disgraceful loss. Wow. This one is …. bad.

Speedy you got big time egg on your face with this L - and you better man up and own it in full - still have love for ya, but tellin it it like it is - you calling them your little brothers during the coaches report, talking a big game about your guys are going to be ready and you’re not worried, and then turn out a performance like that?? And I’m supposed to buy into you and your staff and this team?? I’m supposed to believe that you’re building a championship program??

Holy garbage Batman. That was very embarrassing. You owe the fans big time after this debacle.

Had such an opportunity to establish this program in year 1 - but you are not quite ready yet. Ok. Not hatin on ya, your first yr as top dog, I get it, it is what it is. But you just killed whatever excitement that was building. That’s on you. Take the hard lesson and get better from it.

I will watch the Arkansas game because I still think HU can catch them sleeping and pull off a miracle for one game - it’s been a crazy yr so far across the landscape - unlikely but possible - I will take my girls to a home game in ‘22 because it’s fun and we enjoy it as a family - and then I won’t mess with this team much until it’s time for the CAAT when things matter again. I have little interest or time to devote to one step forward two steps back seasons. Not bailing on ya, but you gotta show more than this to earn fans precious time.

Hopefully you, your staff, and team learn a huge lesson and change going forward. You gotta re-earn lost trust now. Not good tonight Speedy, not good at all. Better regroup and fix your house.
Wags

Post by Wags »

The effort and rebounding were rightfully mentioned multiple times above - how could we not?

But deeper within that, HU's own glass...

- TWENTY offensive boards for Stony Brook. Stony Brook, not some Power 5 team with tough bigs, when you might expect that sort of trouble giving up second opportunites.
- EIGHT different Stony Brook players got an offensive board tonight and then the Seawolves had two more team offensive boards.
- Hofstra had nine offensive boards as a team. When you allow almost as many opposing players to get offensive boards as the number of offensive boards you get, you are just flat out getting outworked.
- Those 20 offensive boards led to an 18-7 Stony Brook advantage in second-chance points - there's your ballgame.
- Hofstra allowed almost as many Stony Brook rebounds (20) as what they pulled down on their own glass (24 defensive rebounds). I mean, come on. Inexcusable.
- The worst of all of it was that it wasn't bigs, it was Stony Brook's GUARDS getting those offensive rebounds! You know who had six of the 20? Tykei Greene, a 6-4 guard from Queens. You know who was next, with three offensive boards apeice? Stephenson-Moore, a 6-3 guard from Jamaica, NY, and Habwe, a 6-6 wing. That's a dozen of the 20 offensive rebounds right there, from GUARDS. Let's continue... Rodriguez, a 6-foot guard had two... Jenkins (6-0) and Roberts (6-4) one each... So that's SIXTEEN of the 20 Stony Brook offensive rebounds coming from players who are 6-6 or under, 13 of the 20 offensive rebounds from players 6-4 or under... that cannot happen if you hope to have a successful season. I really hope the assistants on the bench who are charged with tracking that kind of stuff drive that home during the next practice.

I think we also have to stop pretending that Ray is super reliable. He's not. When he's on, he's great. And yes, that is more often then not. But he has too many disappearing acts like tonight. 1-for-11? For a player who's supposed to be one of the primary leaders on this team? Okay, have an off night and at least go 4-for-11. Don't give nothing, not for a player who's being counted on as much as he is. That's very disappointing and it's too common. I will give Ray credit for at least getting to the line five times (though he only made three) and grabbing a team-high eight rebounds even when his shot was off. But, although I know he is always a threat to have a big game at any time, I don't share the same confidence others have in him that he is reliable on a consistent enough basis. The track record says otherwise. Add tonight to that. That said, could he have a great CAA tournament and be clutch on the biggest stage? Yes, done that too. So, we'll see. But there have been too many games like tonight along the way.

Also disappointing that Silverio went right back to bricking again, going 0/7 from 3 tonight after he had shown a good stretch to have more faith in him. Hope tonight doesn't start him backsliding toward what he was doing before that recent good stretch.

They were up three at the half but 47-27 in the second half of a rivalry game in the year when you painted that yellow Long Island picture and the words "The Pride of Long Island" on the wall, behind the benches in The Mack? Where WAS that pride tonight against a fellow Long Island school that they have mostly dominated in the series? That second half was by far the worst half of ball they've played this season.

They'll learn from this. They'll regroup with another easy blowout win on Sunday like they had against Molloy and then they'll give a much better effort in Arkansas. They better, or they'll get embarrassed.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

After this loss that Arkansas game makes me mighty nervous. I have been watching HU b-ball a long time and I can't remember at least in this era getting dominated so badly in a half of basketball. I wonder if we EVER scored less then 27 points in a half. Although I didn't watch the last 5 minutes(thank God) I was depressed enough there wasn't anything redeeming about our play in the second half. There wasn't one thing we did well other then to let them score at will and out rebound us like we weren't on the floor. Everyone shot badly from beyond the ARC except for Dubar who hit 2/3. I hate to say it but maybe the Cinderella story for Silverio may have taken on a harsh reality. But both Ray and Cooks couldn't score from out there either. Just a very depressing woeful effort in a game that should have meant something to this team. BTW Speedy wasn't too impressive in his post presser at times almost throwing his hands up in the air like what just happened here??

Also those of you who LOVE the Newsday would be happy to know that the game was on the rear cover with the caption KINGS OF LI with a huge picture of one of their players although it did say it was a rare win for them.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

That was a pathetic loss. Shut the game off at the under 8 timeout. It looks like this team has no direction, and they certainly have no leadership on the court. A lot of scoring options which is nice, but no one seems to want to be the team leader. Things better change quick.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Many of the above posts, especially Zman’s, stole my thunder and are spot on so I won’t repeat too much of it. But after an unimpressive first half, the second half was downright appalling. They got outscored 45-20 in the final 18 minutes and I came away with the feeling that Speedy just let it happen. The team had no energy and bad body language on the court all night. If I was the coach I would have visibly lit into them but Speedy looked like he was more in shock on the sidelines than anything and he didn’t make any adjustments to stop the bleeding. How in the world did this team almost beat Houston and Maryland?

I was really looking forward to this game as I finally had a chance to watch them in person but was extremely disappointed with what I saw. We haven’t seen this poor of a performance since the Mo Cassara days and we know that was because the roster was gutted after what happened. What’s this team’s excuse??

It pains me to give kudos to Stony Brook but I have no choice. Their ticket office randomly contacted me last week and gave me a free seat upgrade much closer to the court. Has anyone heard of Hofstra ever doing such a thing? Clearly SB didn’t realize I was a HU guy but this type of gesture towards fans surely would bring them back. SB also has a spectator policy based on reality with no restrictions to attend games. So kudos to Stony Brook. Their basketball program, administration and ticket office are totally kicking Hofstra’s a$$ in all facets right now.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Unfortunatly I was unable to watch the game last nigth due to a holiday commitment but glad I didn't. Our first REAL clunker of the year. Let's hope it was an aberration but nevertheless it is concerning that we could not take care of business in our only REAL rivalry game.

This team looks great when they hit their threes and not good at all we we don't...definately was the latter tonight...let's hope it's not a trend.

And Wags, surprised at how you have bashed Ray...he has been a BALLER for us all these years...something is wrong, maybe that lingering ankle...hope he gets back to form.

And hopefully this poor effort does not become a trend.

And as for fu....in Newsday...if we had won I would guarantee it would not make the back page...just sayin'
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Unfortunatly I was unable to watch the game last nigth due to a holiday commitment but glad I didn't. Our first REAL clunker of the year. Let's hope it was an aberration but nevertheless it is concerning that we could not take care of business in our only REAL rivalry game.

This team looks great when they hit their threes and not good at all we we don't...definately was the latter tonight...let's hope it's not a trend.

And Wags, surprised at how you have bashed Ray...he has been a BALLER for us all these years...something is wrong, maybe that lingering ankle...hope he gets back to form.

And hopefully this poor effort does not become a trend.

And as for fu....in Newsday...if we had won I would guarantee it would not make the back page...just sayin'
You know I think you're right about the Newsday article so true. At least they said a rare win for them but such an embarrassment. I really don't think we could have played any worse then we did.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Speaking of Newsday, Laura Albanese did not not quote anyone from Hofstra in her article, which reads more like a report from the Stony Brook student newspaper. I guess the Hofstra bus left campus before she could interview anyone from the other side.

And as for Covid, with positivity surging past 6% on Long Island and the Omicron variant yet to make its full impact, don't expect vaccineless, maskless indoor sporting events to last much longer. I'm beginning to wonder if Hofstra will go back to games without spectators in the new year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Jojogunne wrote:Speaking of Newsday, Laura Albanese did not not quote anyone from Hofstra in her article, which reads more like a report from the Stony Brook student newspaper. I guess the Hofstra bus left campus before she could interview anyone from the other side.

And as for Covid, with positivity surging past 6% on Long Island and the Omicron variant yet to make its full impact, don't expect vaccineless, maskless indoor sporting events to last much longer. I'm beginning to wonder if Hofstra will go back to games without spectators in the new year.
After this effort there may be no fans regardless...LOL
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Jojogunne wrote:Speaking of Newsday, Laura Albanese did not not quote anyone from Hofstra in her article, which reads more like a report from the Stony Brook student newspaper. I guess the Hofstra bus left campus before she could interview anyone from the other side.

I completely disagree on your last point since the vaccine requirement makes it completely safe to continue having fans at games. This is not a year ago pre-vaccine.
garyg

Post by garyg »

------
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraPride1 wrote:

I completely disagree on your last point since the vaccine requirement makes it completely safe to continue having fans at games. This is not a year ago pre-vaccine.
The other thing that should be mentioned here is that while people coming in to the Mack are all vaccinated and wearing masks I see a lot of people just taking them off at the game and it's not like they're eating anything. I know Hofstra doesn't want to and it would be difficult to police this but at the last game there was a lady walking around with a sign on a pole reminding people to keep their masks on. So a friendly reminder first and what is next if that doesn't work?
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote: And Wags, surprised at how you have bashed Ray...he has been a BALLER for us all these years...something is wrong, maybe that lingering ankle...hope he gets back to form.
Not bashing, just being honest. I pointed out that he led the team with eight rebounds last night and still got to the line five times even while missing almost all of his FGA. Some guys wouldn't do that when their shot is off. So again, credit to him for that, and as I said, he's generally had a great career. I also hadn't said anything about that this season until last night because I know he was working his way back in after missing the first couple games. And in early December, still weeks before CAA play, he still deserves that benefit of the doubt.

But there is still a difference and I think he's just a next-tier guy, a No. 1 by default at times rather than a legit No. 1 like we've seen in the past - JWF, Jenkins, Stokes, legit top guys in the program didn't have so many 1/11 or 5/16 games that I can recall the way Ray seems to have had. They were just more consistent even when not dominant. Ray just seems to have more of the games like last night than those other types of guys had. The thing is, he's always shown that reliability from 3 (always near 40% over his career), but not from 2 - he's been kind of mediocre from at best from there, something that's overlooked with him because of his prowess from 3, his goof FT shooting and his ability to be clutch. He's always pretty much been the same 40% shooter from 3 (good) as he is from 2 (not so good).

Like I said, if given the chance again when it counts the most (as he showed when HU cuts the nets two years ago), I have confidence that he'll deliver because we know he's been clutch many times in the past. The question is will he be healthy enough and consistently productive enough, and get enough help from his teammates, to have that chance in March again? Because, if you don't maintain that game-to-game consistency months and weeks before March, it's hard to flip that switch and find that when you're in March.