MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Andersjorstad

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by Andersjorstad »

I disagree. You need one big but two is pushing it. Joe never plays two bigs at once so as long as the depth chart has Djambo, Gustys, and one more (not expecting Walker to get much time) then that's fine. They could use another bench guard because right now the bench guards are Buie, JWF, Eliel, and Robinson which is pretty subpar IMO (I don't really consider Nichols as a guard of that type). Could use an experienced JUCO wing or a transfer immediately eligible that could slide into a bench wing role easily to add depth. Or even better, someone good enough to push Bernardi to the bench.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Andersjorstad wrote:@VerbalCommits: Hofstra, Rice, and Western Kentucky offered 2015 Norcross (GA) G Tim Cameron. @lovin_2_hoop http://t.co/BnxgpYxxVw

Interesting that Hofstra has another offer for a 2015 guard, makes me worried that Alcegaire is going elsewhere and also likely debunks the theory that they've already locked up the two remaining scholarships.
There also could be a transfer on our side...look for either Gonzalez or Robinson...that's my guess
Polito

Post by Polito »

That's interesting SID, and may be true, it would explain the late offer - because I agree that the 2 ships should def have been filled by now, would concern me if they were getting desperate... So maybe that's the explanation

And yes, they absolutely need 2 impact guys, and I would say 1 W/G around 6'5 and 1 SF/W around 6'7 would be great - I'm thinking the addition of Djambo and the projected (hopefully) use of Walker is scaring off some of the 6'8 plus bigs...

Just a guess though...

The Cameron kid actually has some nice offers, good size for a W/G, looks active athletic and aggressive - this team REALLY needs more aggressiveness - that's what made Nichols a nice boost off the bench, guy ATTACKS - too many of the current guys play soft, need some power out there to compliment the finesse
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

2015 SG 6'5 190lbs Malik Fitts

http://verbalcommits.com/players/malik-fitts
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

how many total scholarships are we allowed? I thought it was 13 but everyone seems to be going on assumption it is 10?
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

It's 13. We've already got 11 enrolled so just two left.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Andersjorstad wrote:It's 13. We've already got 11 enrolled so just two left.
correct 2 ships left.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Most coaches want to keep one or two in their pocket for a transfer. Still think there may be one transfer leaving us...it happens.
Polito

Post by Polito »

They've made a couple of late offers here for 2015 SG's so def could be something brewing...

But I do REALLY hope this is simply to fill a 3rd spot, and not to fill the original 2 - it would be very disappointing if they were still scrambling for that this late in the game - but, they've done well recruiting so far IMO, so trusting them now...lets see how this turns out when the dust settles

I will say they are recruiting very strong talent, and that is a tougher go - HU isn't losing out to lower mids much anymore as in yrs past, the talent is good enough that bigs are swooping in on them - and that's the fight to get real players for a mid, thats the trade-off to go toe to toe, so I get it - and I'm for it

Hoping to see some great news soon!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Has anyone heard ANYTHING on the recruiting front? This is a BIG weekend for visits, but I've seen NOTHING about Hofstra!!!!!
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We're involved with Princeton graduate transfer Denton Koon. He already visited campus.
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 0795969537
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Just saw that. You beat me to it...GOOD!
HU87

Post by HU87 »

First impressions-- GREAT fit for our system. 6'8'' with a quality outside shot and experience contributing. Also, easy to assume he's a high character guy and can play within JAM's system. He seems to have had some pretty serious knee issues in his past, but he also has shown All-Ivy level play. Could be a good risk to take.

It's also a great sign that he has already visited us-- but not such a great sign that URI, Stanford, and Rice are involved too.
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

What it does suggest is that it's entirely possible (probable, I'd even say) that others have visited and haven't been reported as doing so. A signing could easily come out of nowhere and the fact that this guy was interested enough in Hofstra to visit is a terrific sign.
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

We're going after 2 new point guards. One with offers from schools of similar caliber, the other a power conference transfer with 3 years left. Was told in somewhat confidentiality so I don't want to say anything till it's announced on twitter but if you message me here I'll let you know who it is. Seems like we're going hard after a pg
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Florida, Kansas St, Hofstra, NCCU, Cleveland St among others have all reached out to 2015 Elijah Long since he's reopened his recruitment.

https://twitter.com/HoopsHypeCA/status/ ... 3551798274
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Aaron Rountree picked Iona. Surprised because I didn't think they had any scholarships left.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Amazing... They also landed 3 * PF Jordan Washington from Juco - Don't get it, and don't know how they do it every ur - kudos to them, but either they're doing something shady, or they simply have the absolute easiest admission system in the country - they def don't seem to give one rip about whether there's been issues with guys pasts...and that's a touchy subject for HU

But for that small time program with a HS gym to land the talent they do is quite interesting - certainly some great recruiting effort, but that can't be all, it's just too much every single yr, they seriously must have almost no acceptance criteria - don't think I've seen any other mid bring in the amount of transfers with such ease...

Anyway, I know HUs guys are working HARD, and I'm not interested in just getting commits, want to see the right fits and strong talent level - need to be smart as they need a higher level than in the past to win this league - seeing a lot of movement but nothing concrete for HU yet - fighting the desire to get nervous here as they seem to be very active and with very talented guys, so maintaining trust they will get the job done

But man, sure would like to something tangible ASAP...
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Trust me, they can get ANYONE in and who knows what else goes on there...one of these days it will come to light...let us focus on doing it the right way...with the right kind of players
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Why do people think something shady is going on at Iona? Players see a coach with five 20+ win seasons, two NCAA appearances and two NIT appearances who plays an uptempo style. What's not to like? I'm surprised Cluess hasn't taken a bigger job somewhere else. One day he will.

As for Hofstra, I hope whoever we sign this spring is worth the wait.