SB Coach Jay Miller retiring

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraHockey

SB Coach Jay Miller retiring

Post by HofstraHockey »

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/6/8/sof ... areer.aspx

While he had a legendary career, it didn't seem he could bring that magic touch to Bill Edwards Stadium. What he was, however, was an excellent caretaker at a point where the program could have gone into a real dark place when Larissa left for Missouri. Considering the bare cupboard he was left with when he arrived, especially in the pitching department, he made the most with what he had. Real tough to see JMU make it to the WCWS (by, coincidentally, beating Missouri) and do as well as they did, but that team was really all about having that one stud pitcher.

No word on what the next move it, whether it's a promotion from within or someone from the outside to shake things up.
HofstraPride1

Re: SB Coach Jay Miller retiring

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I could see them promoting associate head coach Julie Meyer, who has certainly paid her dues as an assistant. She has hitting background so would be key to also bring in a seasoned pitching coach beside her if they go that route.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I could see them promoting associate head coach Julie Meyer, who has certainly paid her dues as an assistant. She has hitting background so would be key to also bring in a seasoned pitching coach beside her if they go that route.
Yeah, they could. Absolutely nothing against Julie- she's been awesome in my (albeit limited) interactions with her- but I'm not sure if that's what they do to really move the program forward. Probably good not have another coaching upheaval in such a short amount of time.

Courtney Oliver recently left her position at East Carolina, for whatever that's worth.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:I could see them promoting associate head coach Julie Meyer, who has certainly paid her dues as an assistant. She has hitting background so would be key to also bring in a seasoned pitching coach beside her if they go that route.
Yeah, they could. Absolutely nothing against Julie- she's been awesome in my (albeit limited) interactions with her- but I'm not sure if that's what they do to really move the program forward. Probably good not have another coaching upheaval in such a short amount of time.

Courtney Oliver recently left her position at East Carolina, for whatever that's worth.
Courtney could definitely be a possibility as well as another alum and former Hofstra assistant coach, Sara Michalowski, who went with Larissa to Missouri.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We need someone to get this program back to the elite status it enjoyed when Coach Edwards ran the program...Bring him in to help with the search,
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:We need someone to get this program back to the elite status it enjoyed when Coach Edwards ran the program...Bring him in to help with the search,
Agree - Edwards has a large group of ex-players and coaches throughout the country that should be candidates. We need to lean heavily on him in this time of need.
Watching these past few weekends - Missouri/Anderson (and her roster with 4-5 ex-Hofstra players/recruits); Alabama/Cornell; JMU - it made think that JMU could have easily been us.
No knock on Miller - he did what he could - but its time to go back and make Hofstra a crown jewel in college softball - this hire is key.

Is it me - does anyone else feel - not just at Hofstra - but across the entire collegiate athletic landscape, there is a unusually large amount of head-coaches retiring - just sayin.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

College coaching is extremely hard especially if you have a family Spoke with John Russo who told me his family is just outside of Chicago He retired to spend more time with his family His daughter is believe is a junior in high school who plays volleyball she might be playing fir us in a couple of years Also Larissa for years worked in another state than her husband who is right now coaching baseball at West Virginia Hard to be a father or wife when your family is so far away
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think the COVID year put a great deal of stress on college coaches and their families....we may be seeing the result of that in all of these resignations. The protocols, schedules getting turned upside down, quarantining all contributed to super high stress levels IMO.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:College coaching is extremely hard especially if you have a family Spoke with John Russo who told me his family is just outside of Chicago He retired to spend more time with his family His daughter is believe is a junior in high school who plays volleyball she might be playing fir us in a couple of years Also Larissa for years worked in another state than her husband who is right now coaching baseball at West Virginia Hard to be a father or wife when your family is so far away
Am glad to hear that Russo is happy with this move and also great to hear about daughter potentially playing volleyball for us.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just noticed some time ago that we inked this outstanding pitcher coming out of Seaford H.S. ANNA BUTLER; Anna Butler, Seaford, P/1B, Sr.

She batted .426 with three homers and compiled eight wins and 98 strikeouts while pitching to a 1.90 ERA. Will be attending Hofstra. We have gotten really good pitchers in the past from Long Island. Anyone know anything more about this kid??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Didnt Sophia Dandola come from Seaford High School
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

BTW Larissa Anderson’s husband Patrick is manager of the Princeton Whistlepigs of West Virginia Dont you love these minor league team nicknames
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:Didnt Sophia Dandola come from Seaford High School
She did