MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by triplec2195 »

fiftiespride wrote:I wasn't familiar with Cooks or Dunbar but the more homework I have done the more excited I have become. I will be surprised if both don't start, see significant minutes and shine for us. However another guard that can't shoot is a puzzler. It would seem we will already need to redshirt 1 or 2, although one never knows what is going on behind the scenes. Any one hearing anything about a 5 or our last staff addition?
So fifties what exactly are u saying here in terms of position starters. Kante(5),Cramer(4), Dunbar(3), Ray(2) and Cooks the starting PG. I said this here before and will repeat it Cooks will start here I would be shocked if he didn't. This is a team being built around "In guards we trust" but where do all the minutes come from to keep guys happy? With a pressing style and man to man D it would seem a lot of shuffling of guards in and out of the lineup to keep them fresh and on the top of their game. Otherwise why have so many guards unless as has been stated there are players looking to leave.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

I am sure Speedy has a plan. JAM used to play basically 6 or 7 guys with 1-3 guys basically playing the whole game. You could easily play 8-9 guys and spread out get everyone minutes. So I am not too worried about where the minutes will come from; if everyone is playing well the playing time will be there.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

HU87 wrote:Yeah I wonder if this one signals that we have more guards transferring out than we might be aware of?
Or bigs
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID80 wrote:
HU87 wrote:Yeah I wonder if this one signals that we have more guards transferring out than we might be aware of?
Or bigs
If that is the case then Speedy better lockdown a transfer. We only have 3 bigs on the roster right now. I am sure he doesn't need me to tell him this though; so I trust he has it handled. I think I just speak for all of us when I say that we just want to see what the final roster will look like.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:
HUSID80 wrote:
Or bigs
If that is the case then Speedy better lockdown a transfer. We only have 3 bigs on the roster right now. I am sure he doesn't need me to tell him this though; so I trust he has it handled. I think I just speak for all of us when I say that we just want to see what the final roster will look like.
Not to be picky HM, but I would say we only have 1 big - Kante. I would define a big to be someone who can step in and play significant effective minutes at the 5. Right now IK is the only one on the roster who meets that threshold. And yes, I agree with you HM that we can be sure that Speedy is aware of this and is working to remedy the situation. :)
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Cards wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote: If that is the case then Speedy better lockdown a transfer. We only have 3 bigs on the roster right now. I am sure he doesn't need me to tell him this though; so I trust he has it handled. I think I just speak for all of us when I say that we just want to see what the final roster will look like.
Not to be picky HM, but I would say we only have 1 big - Kante. I would define a big to be someone who can step in and play significant effective minutes at the 5. Right now IK is the only one on the roster who meets that threshold. And yes, I agree with you HM that we can be sure that Speedy is aware of this and is working to remedy the situation. :)
I was considering the 4 or the 5 as a big. So we have 2 guys that can play the 4 and 1 guy that can play the 5 based on publicly available data. With rumors of Kante leaving then we need to replace him as well as a backup for him. So we have either a large or very large need at the 5 still. 4 is probably set if Green and Cramer are staying.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HofstraMathew wrote:
Cards wrote:
HofstraMathew wrote: If that is the case then Speedy better lockdown a transfer. We only have 3 bigs on the roster right now. I am sure he doesn't need me to tell him this though; so I trust he has it handled. I think I just speak for all of us when I say that we just want to see what the final roster will look like.
I was considering the 4 or the 5 as a big. So we have 2 guys that can play the 4 and 1 guy that can play the 5 based on publicly available data. With rumors of Kante leaving then we need to replace him as well as a backup for him. So we have either a large or very large need at the 5 still. 4 is probably set if Green and Cramer are staying.
Yes HM - agree 100%
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Literally makes almost zero sense for Kante to leave. He either does a lateral move and gets the same playing time, or, he moves up in conferences and possibly gets let’s playing time, struggles or both, and I’d argue we would be the favorites to win especially with Ray returning and the added players. I don’t see the appeal for Kante to move programs this late in the game - not with the ncaa tournament within reach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

We got another transfer, Jarrod Simmons from Penn. Grad transfer. 6-8 forward.

https://twitter.com/jsimmo4/status/1387 ... 83360?s=20
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

He got pretty minimal time at Penn but it looks like he has some touch, 71% from the line and actually takes threes. Seems like depth but we'll see, having a 6'8 older guy can't hurt.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Good to see...we desperately need some size in my opinion.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This is a guy who will fill Schutte departure and is a shot blocker. He doesn't have to play a lot of minutes but certainly could if the situation presented itself. Was recruited by Providence, St Bonaventure, Texas and VCU. A three star player coming out of Pittsburg and ranked 10th in the state. I'm sure Joe all over this get!!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

RollPride15 wrote:He got pretty minimal time at Penn but it looks like he has some touch, 71% from the line and actually takes threes. Seems like depth but we'll see, having a 6'8 older guy can't hurt.
Cant hurt is right - another 6'8" Ivy Leaguer grad transfer (Koon and Dwyer before him) - we have had some success in that player pool - why not again?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I suspect that this kid is more athletic then Dwyer but why wasn't he getting more minutes?? I don't know anything about who was playing in front of him but he did have a nice pedigree coming out of H.S.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

A look at his game a few years ago where he shows a little of everything including an outside shot. https://youtu.be/huBIbDi1rSg
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

A good hold-the-fort guy. Welcome to Hofstra, Jarrod!

Like his nickname, Speedy works fast!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

triplec2195 wrote:I suspect that this kid is more athletic then Dwyer but why wasn't he getting more minutes?? I don't know anything about who was playing in front of him but he did have a nice pedigree coming out of H.S.
Remember the Ivies did not play last year so this kid could be a completely different player than he showed two years ago.

Got to trust Speedy's evaluation of talent!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HUSID80 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:I suspect that this kid is more athletic then Dwyer but why wasn't he getting more minutes?? I don't know anything about who was playing in front of him but he did have a nice pedigree coming out of H.S.
Remember the Ivies did not play last year so this kid could be a completely different player than he showed two years ago.

Got to trust Speedy's evaluation of talent!
I think we still have some intel down at UPenn - is JAM son still an assistant there?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

This has Joe written all over it and yes Joe's son is still an assistant head coach at Penn. Thanks JAM!
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Carlos with 51 points in the season opener for Thomas Jefferson vs Bklyn law and tech

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk