Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Hofstra

Re: Coaching search

Post by Hofstra »

Please post the contents here if possible.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Speedy says they will RUN and Primary D will be MAN - Will get into opposition and be "Physical"
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Heard last five minutes or so of the WFAN interview, focus was mostly on Speedy's take on the current NBA.

Conversation was lively and both announcers were lauding Speedy and the decision to hire him as HC.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Thanks wags my 100th zoom of the week went over time and missed it

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

cactus wrote:

Cactus you should get a medal! Did you break it up with a Go to Meeting?...
Wags

Post by Wags »

Chris Paul giving a shoutout to Speedy:
https://twitter.com/CP3/status/1381035634823897098
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Wags wrote:Chris Paul giving a shoutout to Speedy:
Now that’s pretty cool, especially since he quote-retweeted Hofstra MBB.
Maybe he’ll make it to a game at some point.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Now that’s publicity that no other hire would get. LOTS of kids saw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:Now that’s publicity that no other hire would get. LOTS of kids saw that.
EXACTLY my earlier point about how Speedy' might help recruit at a level no other hire might have, and that's not just kids out of high school, it could potentially mean the transfer portal as well (Chris Paul has 8.2 million Twitter followers, by the way - but Speedy brings attention in general, not just from Paul).
Wags

Post by Wags »

ProudofPride wrote:
Wags wrote:Chris Paul giving a shoutout to Speedy:
Now that’s pretty cool, especially since he quote-retweeted Hofstra MBB.
Certainly helps the brand, as will the national mentions Hofstra hoops will get about Speedy and Jay Wright & Villanova should Hofstra initially do will under Speedy.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Maybe Speedy could ask Chris to do a State Farm commercial with him. Jake from State Farm settles a claim from Chris Paul. He gets his check almost immediately and who delivers it but Speedy Claxton. Chris says boy that was fast to which Speedy replies they dont call me Speedy for nothing.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Maybe Speedy could ask Chris to do a State Farm commercial with him. Jake from State Farm settles a claim from Chris Paul. He gets his check almost immediately and who delivers it but Speedy Claxton. Chris says boy that was fast to which Speedy replies they dont call me Speedy for nothing.
Chris says, "Speedy Delivery!", smiles and gives Speedy a special handshake like we see players do during games.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HUSID80 wrote:
cactus wrote:

Cactus you should get a medal! Did you break it up with a Go to Meeting?...
Actually it was a WebEx on Thursday Image

cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Short of a true stud coach it didn't make sense to blow up the program. With that part agreed upon, if speedy wanted the job and possibly wouldn't have stayed under farrelly, the choice was already made. You get to keep the program intact and keep and feature a guy who is the blueprint of going to hofsra, the nba, winning a championship, and as we see with that tweet, the respect of all time greats. He's the reason that they were able to get guys like ray and carlos. Farrelly put in his time as lead assistant and deserved the job and very likely would have gotten it had anyone on the planet other than speedy been the assistant last year. I get it the coaching business is tough but hoping there really is a good job in the works for him. He'll be a significant loss for Hofstra.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

cactus wrote:Short of a true stud coach it didn't make sense to blow up the program. With that part agreed upon, if speedy wanted the job and possibly wouldn't have stayed under farrelly, the choice was already made. You get to keep the program intact and keep and feature a guy who is the blueprint of going to hofsra, the nba, winning a championship, and as we see with that tweet, the respect of all time greats. He's the reason that they were able to get guys like ray and carlos. Farrelly put in his time as lead assistant and deserved the job and very likely would have gotten it had anyone on the planet other than speedy been the assistant last year. I get it the coaching business is tough but hoping there really is a good job in the works for him. He'll be a significant loss for Hofstra.
You hit nail on head. Once Speedy wanted job am sure Mike knew his odds were low despite his high credentials. Is a tough business and Mike got very unlucky with having a covid season being his one behind bench plus missing out on possible jobs last year had NCAAs been played, but I have no doubt he will be leading a program sooner than later.
Wags

Post by Wags »

cactus wrote:Farrelly put in his time as lead assistant and deserved the job and very likely would have gotten it had anyone on the planet other than speedy been the assistant last year. I get it the coaching business is tough but hoping there really is a good job in the works for him. He'll be a significant loss for Hofstra.
Quite possibly true - anyone other than Speedy. I feel bad for Mike, but I'm sure he understands. Hofstra didn't want to lose either of them but I think at some point in the future, they always wanted to have Speedy take over. If not now, with their hand forced after Joe had to step down for health reasons and with Mike not winning the CAA tourney, then when?
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Word I’d Mike Farrelly taking an assistant job at Penn State.

Well deserved Mike and best of luck to you!
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Penn State coach is from Brooklyn Likes Farrellys northeast ties. Good for Mike.