Coaching search

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Coaching search

Post by stuball888 »

If its either Speedy or Mike you have to go with Mike. He was Speedys boss this past year. If you promote Speedy and demote Mike you will lose Mike. I for one would not like to serve under someone who I was a boss to the year before. It would be real awkward for both of them. Make Speedy the associate head coach with a nice raise.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

stuball888 wrote:If its either Speedy or Mike you have to go with Mike. He was Speedys boss this past year. If you promote Speedy and demote Mike you will lose Mike. I for one would not like to serve under someone who I was a boss to the year before. It would be real awkward for both of them. Make Speedy the associate head coach with a nice raise.
A no brainer I couldn't agree more with this and I just don't see Speedy getting this job over Mike unless they're looking to get rid of Mike(unlikely) or Mike gets a HC job somewhere else. This is a possibility you wonder if he has his resume out there right now? Hopefully this gets put to bed sooner then later.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

It is possible whoever doesn’t get job will try and get another assistant job somewhere else and I think that would especially be the case if Speedy got it over Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HofstraPride1 wrote:It is possible whoever doesn’t get job will try and get another assistant job somewhere else and I think that would especially be the case if Speedy got it over Mike.

I think it'll be MF - and Speedy will be the Associate HC - and hire a God Father Assistant.

IF I am wrong and its Speedy job - cant see MF seeing much of a future here...AND if its Speedy - is Norm Richardson a candidate to come help Speedy out...dare I say Pecora another potential candidate IF Speedy is our guy.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

daHUPride wrote:
HofstraPride1 wrote:It is possible whoever doesn’t get job will try and get another assistant job somewhere else and I think that would especially be the case if Speedy got it over Mike.

I think it'll be MF - and Speedy will be the Associate HC - and hire a God Father Assistant.

IF I am wrong and its Speedy job - cant see MF seeing much of a future here...AND if its Speedy - is Norm Richardson a candidate to come help Speedy out...dare I say Pecora another potential candidate IF Speedy is our guy.
If Speedy gets nod then a former head coach would be ideal on bench as associate head coach. Pecora would fit that bill certainly, but not sure he would want it.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

UNC hired Hubert Davis today. Quick hire for them.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I bet it's Speedy. Or an outsider

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Polito

Post by Polito »

Sadly, most programs have and are moving faster than HU. This whole process has been pretty ridiculous IMO. This isn't a national search. It's a show of motions to likely keep the same staff, so frankly just DO IT ALREADY. HU looks even more ridiculous not making any change by not acting swiftly and definitively.

It's like Cole and HU were not prepared, despite the fact that they've had an entire year to contemplate and have a plan in place if and when a move needed to be made. Every AD in America worth their salt has a running list of potential names for every sport under their watch. WHAT ARE THEY DOING??

The points about HU garnering plenty of true national interest only proves my point further. And I absolutely believe that to be true. I would bet big money HU HAS had strong interest across the landscape, it's a highly desirable opportunity. And yet, we've seen what 4 names? 2 already on staff? That is a straight up joke. And I am to believe that Mike and Speedy are the TRUE best coaches available? In the entire market? Ok.

My bet is either HU has completely neutered Cole from his capability and fully hampered him from making any move of significance, OR he has no idea how to do this properly, OR Joe has influenced this enough to ensure that his crew is awarded the reigns as the advisor. There is no way on this great planet that there is not another single worthy candidate other than the 2 pre-existing, Grasso, and Ferry. That is absolute nonsense.

So ya know what HU, make it happen already so all can move on - if I'm Speedy or Farrelly I'm probably getting jaded by all this silliness. CofC put you to shame, in a matter of days. So has nearly ever other comparable program. Let's GOOOO, make a move.

And who are these programs you all think are hiring away Farrelly? Based on what? One dance qualification? Guys, there are well qualified assistants around the country at solid programs with tremendous resumes and much greater national / tangible success - no one on HU's staff has built a resume big enough to warrant being hired away yet as a HC by anyone of any real significance. They need more resume beef / seasoning IMO.

This whole thing could've been really exciting to see one way or another, even if they stay the course, but instead it's been nothing but baffling delays and secret service level silence (which does nothing to help create some juice for the program). Very poor handling of this overall.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Sadly, most programs have and are moving faster than HU. This whole process has been pretty ridiculous IMO. This isn't a national search. It's a show of motions to likely keep the same staff, so frankly just DO IT ALREADY. HU looks even more ridiculous not making any change by not acting swiftly and definitively.

It's like Cole and HU were not prepared, despite the fact that they've had an entire year to contemplate and have a plan in place if and when a move needed to be made. Every AD in America worth their salt has a running list of potential names for every sport under their watch. WHAT ARE THEY DOING??

The points about HU garnering plenty of true national interest only proves my point further. And I absolutely believe that to be true. I would bet big money HU HAS had strong interest across the landscape, it's a highly desirable opportunity. And yet, we've seen what 4 names? 2 already on staff? That is a straight up joke. And I am to believe that Mike and Speedy are the TRUE best coaches available? In the entire market? Ok.

My bet is either HU has completely neutered Cole from his capability and fully hampered him from making any move of significance, OR he has no idea how to do this properly, OR Joe has influenced this enough to ensure that his crew is awarded the reigns as the advisor. There is no way on this great planet that there is not another single worthy candidate other than the 2 pre-existing, Grasso, and Ferry. That is absolute nonsense.

So ya know what HU, make it happen already so all can move on - if I'm Speedy or Farrelly I'm probably getting jaded by all this silliness. CofC put you to shame, in a matter of days. So has nearly ever other comparable program. Let's GOOOO, make a move.

And who are these programs you all think are hiring away Farrelly? Based on what? One dance qualification? Guys, there are well qualified assistants around the country at solid programs with tremendous resumes and much greater national / tangible success - no one on HU's staff has built a resume big enough to warrant being hired away yet as a HC by anyone of any real significance. They need more resume beef / seasoning IMO.

This whole thing could've been really exciting to see one way or another, even if they stay the course, but instead it's been nothing but baffling delays and secret service level silence (which does nothing to help create some juice for the program). Very poor handling of this overall.
I (mostly) agree with ya Polito.

What was the surprise in knowing JAM might not ever coach again - how does every college institute or professional team have a "emergency" short list of coaching candidates even in the best of times to go to IF something happens - and for a year we knew might be looking for a coach - and we look like we were weren't ready for this.

They saw what Farrelly brought to the table as an assistant for all these year - and they saw what he can do as the interiem coach this season - if you liked what you saw = immediately hire him...if you didn't like what you saw you needed to have candidates lined up and ready to interview/court those potential coaches. I said in a prior post - the one thing I don't want to see is a long process and then hire MF or SC - that is a slap in MF and SC face and frankly disrespectful to our fan base!

I do believe that JAM has a say - I cant imagine that, even prior to JAM getting ill, that discussions that MF would be the heir apparent were not had and in place. I hope you are wrong that Cole is neutered in this process - but from the look of things I cant say you are wrong.

Do I think there are other candidates that are better then MF and SC - of course/we'd be stupid to say otherwise - but as far as continuity/being part of the HU fabric maybe not.

This is nonsense/get it done/lets move forward!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

It's time the administration get this thing done...too long already!

My concern is for our players...there are already rumblings about the trafer portal, etc.

The whole idea for keeping the current staff was to maintain continuity AND OUR ROSTER!

Come on, GET THIS DONE NOW!
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I have said for a while that our ADs have been neutered by either the President or the BOT after awhile it wore on Jack Hayes and Jeff Hathaway A while back I made a suggestion to Jeff to bring back remote sportscast from a local restaurant Like we used to do from the Marriot with coaches and players He told me he had to talk to Jack Hayes This was over 2 years after Jack left for Brown What he could not make a decision on his own Later about 2 years after that he said he couldnt do it because the restaurant served liquor so of course 1 year later they hold an event at the Green Turtle after this I gave up So with all this cloak and dagger stuff I have come to conclusion that as more things change at Hofstra (new president) to more things will remain the same Expect Cole to leave in 2 years mark my words
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:I have said for a while that our ADs have been neutered by either the President or the BOT after awhile it wore on Jack Hayes and Jeff Hathaway A while back I made a suggestion to Jeff to bring back remote sportscast from a local restaurant Like we used to do from the Marriot with coaches and players He told me he had to talk to Jack Hayes This was over 2 years after Jack left for Brown What he could not make a decision on his own Later about 2 years after that he said he couldnt do it because the restaurant served liquor so of course 1 year later they hold an event at the Green Turtle after this I gave up So with all this cloak and dagger stuff I have come to conclusion that as more things change at Hofstra (new president) to more things will remain the same Expect Cole to leave in 2 years mark my words
Thanks for that insight - that stinks (for us fans/supporters)!
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think it is done but are waiting for contracts to be signed. These people are all very decent people and I think we wish them all good things.
What I heard sounds like a really positive thing for all concerned. If my info is good, I think you will all agree.
It is not my place to tell you what I heard. Be a little patient.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Captain wrote:I think it is done but are waiting for contracts to be signed. These people are all very decent people and I think we wish them all good things.
What I heard sounds like a really positive thing for all concerned. If my info is good, I think you will all agree.
It is not my place to tell you what I heard. Be a little patient.
From the tone that I read that with, I think I will be in the minority here and be disappointed.

We shall see though. Always, Roll Pride
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

well im surprised if this is true...

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
4m
Sources: Hofstra is expected to hire Speedy Claxton as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Oh boy I guess we will lose Mike Just curious how this plays out
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:well im surprised if this is true...

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
·
4m
Sources: Hofstra is expected to hire Speedy Claxton as its next head basketball coach. Official announcement expected soon.
If Jon had it, it's very likely true. It'll be good. It'll help the program and the school get more attention because the national media always loves to talk about stories like that. They'll have Jay chime in about it at times. And it should help with recruiting. He's also paid his dues, so I think it makes good sense. And we know he's competitive and wants to win, even as a coach, so he'll provide accountability. As noted above, the only downside could be losing Farrelly.

They didn't have to go very far though with that "national search" they recently said they were conducting. LOL - probably shouldn't have said that if this is the route they were leaning anyway, but won't matter much. Just kinda funny.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Not impressed. Hope he does well obviously, but I think we could have opened the search up more. Seems like the easy hire and not the right hire. I am sure people will bash me for saying this. Pin this post when we are searching for a new coach in 3 years though.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra wrote:Not impressed. Hope he does well obviously, but I think we could have opened the search up more. Seems like the easy hire and not the right hire. I am sure people will bash me for saying this. Pin this post when we are searching for a new coach in 3 years though.
I certainly hope he does well. But if it doesn’t work out, it’ll be tough having to part ways with one of our most notable alums like that.

Adam Zagoria is reporting it on Forbes as well.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... ssion=true
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Not impressed. Hope he does well obviously, but I think we could have opened the search up more. Seems like the easy hire and not the right hire. I am sure people will bash me for saying this. Pin this post when we are searching for a new coach in 3 years though.
This is fair. I love the hire for the obvious reasons. But for the other reasons you're stating, Speedy will have to prove that. I think he'll be up to that task from a work ethic and accountability standpoint. That doesn't guarantee success but it will help. I think coaching is somewhat overrated at times if a program can recruit and I think Speedy's name will help with that more than others. We'll see.