MBB & WBB: 2/20 & 2/21 Postponed

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Wags

MBB & WBB: 2/20 & 2/21 Postponed

Post by Wags »

The CAA says the postponements are due to protocols within the Hofstra men's and women's programs. Hope everyone's okay!

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 3167880195
https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 7382205445
stuball888

Re: MBB & WBB: 2/20 & 2/21 Postponed

Post by stuball888 »

The regular season for both teams are finished
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Oh no - is it still 14 days? So lose the fours remaining games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wags

Post by Wags »

Pride97 wrote:Oh no - is it still 14 days? So lose the fours remaining games?
Still 14 days. Seems like there won't be a way to reschedule those games.

So I guess they just seed teams based on however many games they played, drastically imbalanced for some teams or not?

Or, if the CAA and other conference tourneys might not be played (should there be other protocols needed later on), the regular-season champion becomes the conference automatic qualifier for some conferences? Imagine that happens and JMU is that team without even having to rely on hosting the CAA tourney?
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Is the virtual homecoming cancelled?
Wags

Post by Wags »

This weekend's Drexel-Towson MBB games also postponed due to protocols within the Towson program.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The way its looking I say its 50-50 that the CAA tournament will not happen
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

Preseason I thought some conferences would limit tournaments, perhaps with only top four qualifying. Could still be an option for CAA. Could also delay as there is time before NCAA.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Everyone in the league should have four games left over the remaining two weekends, but here's what actually still left:

JMU 9
NU 8
Charleston 8
Hofstra 4
Delaware 9
W&M 10
Drexel 10
Towson 6
UNCW 12
Elon 10

Even though you obviously shrink two of those numbers at a time when you play one game, it's still a lot basketball to make up as we sit here on 2/17, with the CAA tourney scheduled for 3/6-3/9 and the NCAA tourney to start one month from tomorrow, on 3/18.

I think this unfortunately puts the CAA tourney in major jeopardy, with more than half the league (6 out of 10 teams) with still at least half of its normal confernece schedule remaining and two other teams with almost half of their schedules remaining. Hofstra and Towson are the only teams that are even close to finishing their schedules. And we already know of games not being played this weekend and next weekend.

I'm not sure how they get it done at this point or what they'll decide to do. It'll probably come down to one of two options: 1) Hold the tourney and just seed teams based on where they are regardless of how many games they've played by that point, or 2) Get in as many games as they can until Selection Sunday and send the regular-season champion (regardless of imbalanced records throughout the conference) and that team will be the NCAA tourney automatic qualifier. If that's what it comes down to, 1) obviously gives Hofstra its only realistic chance since HU may not play its last four games.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Here's another idea: Why not send last year's CAAT champion to this year's NCAAT? :)
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Jojogunne wrote:Here's another idea: Why not send last year's CAAT champion to this year's NCAAT? :)
I like that better Jojo but the CAA just had a release today about the tourney. What about this??

Men's Basketball
2/17/2021 10:30:00 AM
2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men's Basketball Championship Bracket Released

Rob Washburn
2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men's Basketball Championship Bracket

RICHMOND, Va. (February 17, 2021) – The bracket has been released for the 2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men’s Basketball Championship. The 10-team tournament will be held March 6-9 at the Atlantic Union Bank Center on the campus of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va.

The event gets underway on Saturday, March 6 with a pair of first-round games at 3 p.m. (#8 seed vs. #9 seed) and 7 p.m. (#7 seed vs. #10 seed). There are four quarterfinal contests on Sunday, March 7 with games taking place at 11 a.m. (#4 seed vs. #5 seed), 2:30 p.m. (#1 seed vs. #8/#9 winner), 6 p.m. (#2 seed vs. #7/#10 winner) and 9:30 p.m. (#3 seed vs. #6 seed). All six games over the first two days can be seen on FloHoops.com.

CBS Sports Network will once again televise the semifinals and championship game of the tournament. The two semifinal contests are set for 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on Monday, March 8, while the title game will tip at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 9.

The Atlantic Union Bank Center, which opened in November, 2020, is a state-of-the-art 8,500-seat facility that features a club area, practice court, meeting rooms and sports medicine areas. The building has the latest in lighting and audio technology and includes an adjacent 1,500-space parking deck. This will be the first time since 1986 that the CAA has crowned its men’s basketball champion at an on-campus facility.

The CAA Men’s Basketball Championship has been one of the most competitive in the nation, with eight different schools having claimed the title over the past decade. During that period, two championship games have gone to overtime and three others have been decided by five points or less.
Wags

Post by Wags »

triplec2195 wrote:
Jojogunne wrote:Here's another idea: Why not send last year's CAAT champion to this year's NCAAT? :)
I like that better Jojo but the CAA just had a release today about the tourney. What about this??

Men's Basketball
2/17/2021 10:30:00 AM
2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men's Basketball Championship Bracket Released

Rob Washburn
2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men's Basketball Championship Bracket

RICHMOND, Va. (February 17, 2021) – The bracket has been released for the 2021 Hercules Tires CAA Men’s Basketball Championship. The 10-team tournament will be held March 6-9 at the Atlantic Union Bank Center on the campus of James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va.

The event gets underway on Saturday, March 6 with a pair of first-round games at 3 p.m. (#8 seed vs. #9 seed) and 7 p.m. (#7 seed vs. #10 seed). There are four quarterfinal contests on Sunday, March 7 with games taking place at 11 a.m. (#4 seed vs. #5 seed), 2:30 p.m. (#1 seed vs. #8/#9 winner), 6 p.m. (#2 seed vs. #7/#10 winner) and 9:30 p.m. (#3 seed vs. #6 seed). All six games over the first two days can be seen on FloHoops.com.

CBS Sports Network will once again televise the semifinals and championship game of the tournament. The two semifinal contests are set for 6 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on Monday, March 8, while the title game will tip at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, March 9.

The Atlantic Union Bank Center, which opened in November, 2020, is a state-of-the-art 8,500-seat facility that features a club area, practice court, meeting rooms and sports medicine areas. The building has the latest in lighting and audio technology and includes an adjacent 1,500-space parking deck. This will be the first time since 1986 that the CAA has crowned its men’s basketball champion at an on-campus facility.

The CAA Men’s Basketball Championship has been one of the most competitive in the nation, with eight different schools having claimed the title over the past decade. During that period, two championship games have gone to overtime and three others have been decided by five points or less.
So, it looks like they're planning on option 1) that I stated above, but to do that, they're probably going to have to go with the seeds as they are on 2/28, regardless of how many regular-season games are played because I don't think they're making up all of the postponements before the conference tournament. That's going to make the seeding and perhaps some matchups unfair, but it's a crapshoot in the tourney anyway, so it may not matter too much.

The semifinal time of 9:30 is a pretty late tip for that second game. Was better when it was 6:00 and 8:30 and CBS Sports Network would probably prefer that too. The quarterfinal times are really spread out too. 11 am is very early for that first game and again, 9:30 is a late tip that would normally be unnecessary since the third quarterfinal game is at 6:00. The 2:30 and 6:00 times are the usual quarterfinal times for those games.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they needed to spread out the times for the quarterfinals and semifinals because they wanted to take the added Covid-related precaution of sanitizing the lockerrooms after they're used between games? Of course, some OT games might make the spread-out times work well and not give them a chance to desanitize between games (if that's what they're doing) anyway.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

The official Hofstra men's basketball page on the website lists our next game at Elon, February 27 at 1 pm...just sayin'
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID80 wrote:The official Hofstra men's basketball page on the website lists our next game at Elon, February 27 at 1 pm...just sayin'
Yeah, it lists both games that weekend now. That's a good sign because those games were originally listed as postponed, like the Charleston games.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

The virtual sellout was moved to a March lacrosse game. Blech.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Can we get a refund if we did this? i cant support this trash lax team
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hofstra wrote:Can we get a refund if we did this? i cant support this trash lax team
They made it clear in the announcement that the money was going to the entire athletic program regardless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Hofstra wrote:Can we get a refund if we did this? i cant support this trash lax team
Money goes to entire athletic program so event they hold for it is irrelevant. I know we are frustrated by lack of success in recent years, but no reason to trash program.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Shame Hofstra couldn't play today - who knows, but Charleston looked primed to be beaten badly today since it needed OT to beat D-II Columbus State by three at home.

Meanwhile, Elon, which started 0-7 (its last loss at Charleston by 18) has since won two straight, winning at Charleston by 11 the day after losing there, and today, was up 21 at halftime before winning by that much at W&M. So, if HU plays there next week, that might be tougher than originally thought.

UNCW @ NU, Towson @ Drexel and JMU @ Delaware all postponed today.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

the CAA tournament is an accident waiting to happen. All you need are two teams to test positive and the tournament will probably be cancelled.