Game 20 at James Madison on February 13, 2021 at 2:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: Game 20 at James Madison on February 13, 2021 at 2:00 P.

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Go to live stats - Silverio missed two free throws at the .2 mark when the score was 91 - 89 JMU. And I don't even drink!
Well after this game you should take up drinking Mikey, LOL!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

I have no comments about the game - because all the action took place before tipoff.

I had to go back to the flohoops replay to see if what I thought I saw was actually what I saw. I was not mistaken. THE ENTIRE HU TEAM ON THIER KNEES DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM - COACHES INCLUDED! What the hell was that supposed to be?? Please, someone give me some crumb of an explanation as to why they did this. Have they gone *#($*#W& bananas with this woke culture!

I cannot explain express how disapointed I am in the MBB Program. And I am sure to let Cole and Farelly know about it. The first thing I will tell them is that my years of season tix purchases are over, as well as any donations. In fact, they will not see me in the Mack again. My days of bringing friends and family to the games and talking up the game experience are over, in fact, I will go out of my way to to mention the BS that is happening. HATE TO SAY IT, BUT I'M DONE WITH HU MBB.

If someone can expalin todays action to me, please do. Otherwise, it has been a pleasure to correspond with you all and to get to know some of you. I'm so pissed and sad.
Wags

Post by Wags »

This team is not defending the CAA tourney title this year until it gets serious about defense on a consistent basis (and there's not much time left for that).

You cannot lose a game in which Coburn has 28, Ray has 26, you go 17/39 from 3 and you score 89. Just a total waste of a very good offensive performance.

And this time, it wasn't even bad perimeter D - JMU only shot 7/24 from 3 but HU got trashed in the paint, 46-26. JMU shoots 64.4% (29/45) from 2 and scores 53-seconf-half points. No excuse for all that, especially this time of the year.

That's not even close to championship basketball, which in mid-February, in their 13th CAA game of the season, is what they should be thinking about.

Your starting PG also can't have 7 turnovers.

Not only did they fall farther behind NU (which won Sat) and JMU, but they're now tied for third with Charleston.

Just a terrible performance defensively. Turn the page and for goodness sake, stop thinking you can just outshoot everyone on one of the days you happen to be on, and bring the defense tomorrow like you care about defending your CAA titles.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:I have no comments about the game - because all the action took place before tipoff.

I had to go back to the flohoops replay to see if what I thought I saw was actually what I saw. I was not mistaken. THE ENTIRE HU TEAM ON THIER KNEES DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM - COACHES INCLUDED! What the hell was that supposed to be?? Please, someone give me some crumb of an explanation as to why they did this. Have they gone *#($*#W& bananas with this woke culture!

I cannot explain express how disapointed I am in the MBB Program. And I am sure to let Cole and Farelly know about it. The first thing I will tell them is that my years of season tix purchases are over, as well as any donations. In fact, they will not see me in the Mack again. My days of bringing friends and family to the games and talking up the game experience are over, in fact, I will go out of my way to to mention the BS that is happening. HATE TO SAY IT, BUT I'M DONE WITH HU MBB.

If someone can expalin todays action to me, please do. Otherwise, it has been a pleasure to correspond with you all and to get to know some of you. I'm so pissed and sad.
This is nothing new. They've been doing the same thing at home games this season. I have no problem with it. Free expression protected by Constitution. They have every right to do it just as you have every right to post about it like you did above.

I'll just say... if only the outrage was as strong about the social issues in our nation that players and coaches kneel about as it about them kneeling for the flag, A) they wouldn't need to kneel, and B) we'd have a much better country for all.

Between their kneeling and their severe lack of defense today, I was only bothered by the latter.
CTDutch

Post by CTDutch »

Well said Wags. Totally agree
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Let them do that next year in front of a crowd. Let them do it during Military Appreciation night. See what the reaction will be.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Let them do that next year in front of a crowd. Let them do it during Military Appreciation night. See what the reaction will be.
That's exactly the point. If EVERYONE follows the Constitution, no one should care. No one should feel pressured to not exercise their rights protected by the Constitution, whether in an empty arena, a full one, or anything in between. Many veterans have said that's the reason they served and fought overseas, to protect that right. We are a free country with certain rights protected by our Constitution. Everyone should be respecting those rights.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Won't go crazy about the kneeling, I am a believer in rights, even if I disagree with the action. I understand the call for awareness, but this has been going on a long time already so it's losing some luster, and unfortunately much of the positive intent from these kinds of things has been long lost and completely distorted from politics and garbage media propaganda. I'm not real sure what this kneeling is supposed to spawn at this point that hasn't already been. I think the majority (which is about what you can expect in real life) are already aware, already paying attention, already making changes to help the injustices.

Part of the problem is now all we are doing is reverse hating - hating on anyone and anything that doesn't have the same singular view and doesn't hate what we hate with enough hatred lol - frankly it's gotten ridiculous - it's ALL hate, and hate is not good! Pretty sure we all learned that in kindergarten. I think we need to allow people the chance to move forward and for the progress to take place - instead we have constant harping bringing everyone who's trying to be better backwards all the time, constantly reminding us how awful we all are as human beings - sorry but that's not me, and I'm not down with that narrative.

I'm already onboard and treat all as individuals, and those I know do the same. IMO the fight right now is unifying as a nation and world against COVID - let's win that fight since it's global for ALL humans. Course that's just me being bold with my good ol logic / common sense right :P

To the game: SIGH... disappointing loss to say the least. We knew this was going to be a battle for both sides, and the first game proved to be that down to the final seconds. Not unexpected, and it wasn't some blow out, so I am trying to be level headed. But this was a huge opportunity completely squandered.

Kudos to Ray and TC for showing up big as they needed to - hard to fathom losing when those 2 are on and the team is draining 3's. But when you perform like some low hanging rookie team and don't play defense, get dominated in the post, and get fully out-rebounded, and miss crucial FT's, then yep the odds are against you.

I was pretty excited coming into this, really felt like I had seen HU starting to become something special - this isn't the end, but this game showed the opposite and proved this team still isn't ready to be conf champs. And frankly, they simply may not be. Pretty disheartening considering what they should be. As I stated before, they have really only won against the lower half of the league, done next to nothing against the top half. Today only furthered that.

Where is the ROI on being the team with 3 champion starters? The ROI on being the team that has played more than any other CAA team? Where are the dividends from that experience? There's really no excuses here.

If they lose tomorrow and get swept (again) I'll be calling it a wrap for this season regardless of what's left. They need to win tomorrow, period. I'm calling this a must-win, and I hope they do the same and approach it as such. Get up off it, put some fire under your a$$es and defend your damn crown for goodness sake. How about getting 'woke' to *THAT*.

Love Farrelly, but this kind of poor play in mid Feb is not a good look at all. Much of what was seen today should be in the rear view mirror by now.

Plenty on the players too. How does a zone team not know how to handle zone?? How do they not know how to play the inside out game by now to mitigate the doubles on Kante? (Which were from guards by the way... not exactly murderers row down there.). Not hatin' just statin'!

Running out of time fellas... -> staff and players. Is this really who you are? Are we fans too hopeful? If so, you'll be home soon watching someone else cut nets and we'll be checked out till next season. Otherwise, get your butts in gear starting right now and firmly and swiftly course correct this ship.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I honestly couldn't care less about what the team is doing before tip, zero interest. We've only had high character men play for Hofstra under JM/MF, that's what I care about.

Objectively, politicizing sporting events will turn people off though. Frankly, the military kowtowing at the games is as cringey as kneeling for the anthem. I don't get the point of any of it, they all seem like empty gestures, and it just distracts from the game; which people attend and support to create a two-hour distraction from their everyday lives. Basketball is kind of supposed to be idyllic for everyone involved, people will just stop playing and supporting basketball if the game itself continues to become secondary to just being a platform to blast vapid political stances coming from both sides of the aisle. That's not a matter of what people are entitled to do or not, or what's right or wrong, just that it's too distracting for many people and apathy will set in.

But back to the defense, I didn't want to pile on in my earlier post, but damn, it's been awful. Some of it is that our sloppy offense has put us in bad positions defensively, that shouldn't be understated. But there are just ridiculous holes in the zone this year, not dissimilar to '17 or '18. The team has more athleticism than the '17 or '18 squads, but they go through stretches where they do not move well, and we seem to break down late in games. The brutal schedule format has made it tough to create consistency, but we're hitting gut-check time here, Farrelly is going to have to get the team to put a few complete games together before the CAAT.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Polito wrote:Won't go crazy about the kneeling, I am a believer in rights, even if I disagree with the action. I understand the call for awareness, but this has been going on a long time already so it's losing some luster, and unfortunately much of the positive intent from these kinds of things has been long lost and completely distorted from politics and garbage media propaganda. I'm not real sure what this kneeling is supposed to spawn at this point that hasn't already been. I think the majority (which is about what you can expect in real life) are already aware, already paying attention, already making changes to help the injustices.

Part of the problem is now all we are doing is reverse hating - hating on anyone and anything that doesn't have the same singular view and doesn't hate what we hate with enough hatred lol - frankly it's gotten ridiculous - it's ALL hate, and hate is not good! Pretty sure we all learned that in kindergarten. I think we need to allow people the chance to move forward and for the progress to take place - instead we have constant harping bringing everyone who's trying to be better backwards all the time, constantly reminding us how awful we all are as human beings - sorry but that's not me, and I'm not down with that narrative.
Absolutely agree, well said.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Polito wrote: Won't go crazy about the kneeling, I am a believer in rights, even if I disagree with the action. I understand the call for awareness, but this has been going on a long time already
That's not how progress with social issues works. That sounds like a stance of: well, social norms, however wrong they may be, have been challenged long enough, so let's just drop it - progress will just somehow just take care of itself. Nope, it takes time, often a LOT of time, far longer than it should.

We fought a civil war over 155 years ago to end slavery and we still had rioters carrying the Confederate flag and dressed in neo-Nazi symbols invading our Capitol building last month. It says a lot that the outrage over that hasn't seemed to rise to anywhere near the same level as those who have been offended over kneeling for the Union flag.
Polito wrote: I'm not real sure what this kneeling is supposed to spawn at this point that hasn't already been. I think the majority (which is about what you can expect in real life) are already aware, already paying attention, already making changes to help the injustices.
It quite effectively continues to make people uncomfortable enough to get their attention about dealing with social issues that as a nation, we still need to be willing to confront and address.

The changes you're speaking of aren't very evident. Not yet. That's why people continue to kneel. If we're more uncomfortable about the kneeling itself than we are about confronting and solving the issues for why people are kneeling, that says a lot about just how much further we still need to go as a society.
Polito wrote: Part of the problem is now all we are doing is reverse hating - hating on anyone and anything that doesn't have the same singular view and doesn't hate what we hate with enough hatred lol - frankly it's gotten ridiculous - it's ALL hate
Maybe I'm misreading you here, but are you calling kneeling hating? If so, that's an equivalency that I don't get at all.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I just find myself compelled to react to this although I don't feel it has a place here but applaud you Cards for having the balls to state your feelings. We all are aware of the many injustices that go on and have been going on for a very long time and people should protest about it but I do think there's a time and place for everything. IMO this is not the time and place for this and I don't like my nose rubbed in this when I go see a sporting event especially an amateur event. This is a turn off for a lot of people hence why it is done in the first place. Yes I saw the the team kneeling and really couldn't believe it I was hoping that it was JMU but after watching MOST of this game and getting disgusted by the game I quickly forgot about it. As a senior citizen and someone who grew up to respect our flag and what it stands for I don't like it being disrespected and consequently our country and what it stands for being disrespected. Keep the politics for the protests and the protests away from what should be such a pure and innocent sports event.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Mikey77 wrote:Burgess killed us going 0-3 from the line, especially since they were 1 and 1's. Silverio as well missing those two FT's at the end. And Burgess and Silverio going 2 -10 shooting. another blown opportunity this year.
Admittedly turned the game off at the end so missed the Omar debacle but for a team that is the worst in the CAA in FT shooting they hit 14/16 while we hit 8/12 two of which were front ends and the other I believe was an and one. This is not acceptable sorry.
4EverDutch

Post by 4EverDutch »

triplec2195 wrote:I just find myself compelled to react to this although I don't feel it has a place here but applaud you Cards for having the balls to state your feelings. We all are aware of the many injustices that go on and have been going on for a very long time and people should protest about it but I do think there's a time and place for everything. IMO this is not the time and place for this and I don't like my nose rubbed in this when I go see a sporting event especially an amateur event. This is a turn off for a lot of people hence why it is done in the first place. Yes I saw the the team kneeling and really couldn't believe it I was hoping that it was JMU but after watching MOST of this game and getting disgusted by the game I quickly forgot about it. As a senior citizen and someone who grew up to respect our flag and what it stands for I don't like it being disrespected and consequently our country and what it stands for being disrespected. Keep the politics for the protests and the protests away from what should be such a pure and innocent sports event.
My feelings exactly. I had no idea this was occurring. Not a season ticket holder but I do attend a few home games with a bunch of college buddies each year, reunion of sorts, and one or two road games when convenient. Our group is diverse with differing political opinions. I feel this will negatively impact our enjoyment of the day turning what should be a fun reunion into a divisive debate. While these discussions need to occur there is a time and place and like many I attend sports and music events to escape from real life, not have it rubbed in my face right before the event. I am paying for entertainment. If I wanted a political discussion I would invite the group to a lecture at the U.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:I just find myself compelled to react to this although I don't feel it has a place here but applaud you Cards for having the balls to state your feelings. We all are aware of the many injustices that go on and have been going on for a very long time and people should protest about it but I do think there's a time and place for everything. IMO this is not the time and place for this and I don't like my nose rubbed in this when I go see a sporting event especially an amateur event. This is a turn off for a lot of people hence why it is done in the first place. Yes I saw the the team kneeling and really couldn't believe it I was hoping that it was JMU but after watching MOST of this game and getting disgusted by the game I quickly forgot about it. As a senior citizen and someone who grew up to respect our flag and what it stands for I don't like it being disrespected and consequently our country and what it stands for being disrespected. Keep the politics for the protests and the protests away from what should be such a pure and innocent sports event.
Thats right Triplec - it is simply not the time or place. I go to watch the competition, join in the excitement, and appreciate the skills of the competitors. I do not choose to go to an amateur sporting event to have my beliefs insulted.

I firmly agree that the University and the team have the right to take this position, just as strongly as I believe that I do not have to sit in the stands or in front of the TV and support it.

Its simply not the time or place. Nuff said.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hey Cards, I hope you stick around my friend, have really enjoyed meeting you in the past and your impact here - I fully respect your stance, and we all have every right to come and go as we please, but I wanted to also say and request that you stay! This too shall pass.

I get frustrated as well, but I am also doing my best not to hold anything against anyone, not to judge too harshly, some simply know not what they do. And everyone These young men, as FD noted well, are high quality kids under this regime - this is a standup program that has represented HU and the entire HU community with honor and respect.

-->> Do I agree with this? Nope. But because I do believe their hearts are in the right place, and they are impressionable like every young person in the world, and because I made my own share of silly moves over the course of my life lol, I am willing to overlook and forgive. That right there is the ultimate 'call' on us all IMO.

Wags and others on this topic, I think this is a great one for us to continue (civilly of course), and will break this out into its own thread.

Let's keep this one about how disappointing this teams showing was. Can only handle so much negative in one thread LOL :lol:
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Polito the voice of reason. I remember when he called Uncle Buck and Bull Fan "tools". We all got a big laugh over that. Now today I want to see the team come out with purpose and play a full 40 minutes of hard nosed basketball.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Cards wrote:I have no comments about the game - because all the action took place before tipoff.

They have been kneeling for awhile now and just hasn't been noticed since no fans at games. I personally won't kneel for anthem, but I respect their decision to do so. I hope you eventually draw this same conclusion and this won't affect your fandom. My guess is they won't continue this next year when fans back, but if they do I will not let it impact in any way my enjoyment of Hofstra hoops.
Polito

Post by Polito »

LOL, aahh yes, the good ol days Stu!! I was certainly younger and a bit more brash eh :lol: Can you believe I'm actually maturing? Scary right!

And let me be clear, I regret none of it :P . I don't regret who I've been, who I am, or who I will be - all part of this great thing called life, and I embrace it all! Those two earned every bit of it at the time :D but I got to meet UB in person soon after, and glad I did, he was a great dude! Hope he and BF are doing well.

As far as this game, all that energy 40 minute defensive intensity blah blah blah BS we've heard all year, enough of the nonsense, they should've already had that worked out by now. Nothing but loser talk, lip service, and noise at this point.

The bottom line today is they better win the damn game, period end of story. Man up and win this game and defend YOUR crown, or I'll see ya next season to see if that group will be ready to be a champion.

I have no interest in following a group that still needs to be 'motivated' by their coach / parent. Hearing that crap makes my skin crawl. Imagine saying that to people in your business Stu? Imagine saying that or acting like that at a big corp gig where you are charged and entrusted to lead? I sure as hell can't, and never did. Would've been laughed out of the board room, given no confidence by any associate / customer / etc, lost every opportunity, every business, and gotten canned / ruined all at the same time. That crap is soft as charmin, and sadly what society allows (and worse, even fuels) today.

Get off your fannies and create your own motivation internally. How about this: You are playing a game you love for a free quality education during a pandemic year. You are talented and highly blessed. Get motivated and start playing with friggin purpose or turn in your 'ship for someone else who will.

For the guys that ARE doing that, keep it up, that's what winners do, and make it unacceptable for anyone else not to.

Now go out there and kick their butts up and down the floor today and don't let off the gas until it's over. Quit the weak crap, the time to work on yourselves and find out who you are kumbaya baloney is over, it's time to produce - do what you came here to do, and go make a statement that this is YOUR conference.

Farrelly, just gave ya your pre game speech.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
Thats right Triplec - it is simply not the time or place. I go to watch the competition, join in the excitement, and appreciate the skills of the competitors. I do not choose to go to an amateur sporting event to have my beliefs insulted.

I firmly agree that the University and the team have the right to take this position, just as strongly as I believe that I do not have to sit in the stands or in front of the TV and support it.

Its simply not the time or place. Nuff said.
I would MUCH rather keep this to basketball, but I feel compelled to add since it was raised...

Who's to say it's not the time or place? Maybe sporting events aren't the time and place for the national anthem. Just play the game. I don't hear the national anthem before a concert, which would arguably more appropriate since that involves music.

We can't put our own values on others, especially when others have a Constitutionally protected right to do something. And if someone like Cards wants to spout off about it and chooses to no longer watch another HU Basketball game, I (as others have said) will miss him here, but that's his right too.

If kneeling makes people uncomfortable about confronting our social ills as a society, well, that's exactly the point because without kneeling (or any other form of civil protest that makes people uncomfortable about examining what we need to change as a society), no one's going to pay attention - we would instead all go about our business and societal progress toward a better nation ceases.