MBB Recruits 2021

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
budman

Re: MBB Recruits 2021

Post by budman »

As of now the extra scholarships are only for next year. After next year it goes back to 13 scholarships. I hope we don't get in a position that we have to ask kids to leave after next year.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Sounds like something for graduate transfers.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

budman wrote:As of now the extra scholarships are only for next year. After next year it goes back to 13 scholarships. I hope we don't get in a position that we have to ask kids to leave after next year.
I don't really see how that could happen if we have three seniors playing a 5th year then we wouldn't have more then 16 scholarship players next year. We have one scholarship available now and if Stafford leaves we would have two. We can't have kids commit here without scholarships to offer them unless of course you get a kid willing to walk on for a year.
budman

Post by budman »

triplec2195 wrote:
budman wrote:As of now the extra scholarships are only for next year. After next year it goes back to 13 scholarships. I hope we don't get in a position that we have to ask kids to leave after next year.
I don't really see how that could happen if we have three seniors playing a 5th year then we wouldn't have more then 16 scholarship players next year. We have one scholarship available now and if Stafford leaves we would have two. We can't have kids commit here without scholarships to offer them unless of course you get a kid willing to walk on for a year.
We don't want to enter next year with out scholarship to offer? Unless the player is a stud.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

We still have 3 scholarships available. I don’t think we are at risk of not having scholarships to offer. The staff should be able to manage a simple task as making sure you have offers to give.
Polito

Post by Polito »

All of this covid impact adds a unique wrinkle for sure, but it's the same for all, so somehow it will all work out. This topic of 'scholly's available' is a constant one in college football, fans always on the worry, and it ALWAYS works out - programs find ways, especially for the right talent. A new issue for sure, realm of the unknown, but somehow they'll manage it. 8-)
Polito

Post by Polito »

Little update on one of the next star HU guards Jaquan Carlos - for context, Jordan Riley is top 2 in NY, a Georgetown commit, a ton of other P5 offers, with great size and skill - JC can't get here fast enough lol - sky's the limit in this PG dependent system:

https://twitter.com/Nateblueis4real/sta ... 1472023553

Let's get that xfer big and put a bow on this super class!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Just added to the transfer list is a small forward named Winston from St Bonaventure.
He was a starter last year as a frosh. His minutes were way down this year. Will have 3 years of eligibility and was a teammate
of Zion Bethea in High School.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Little update on one of the next star HU guards Jaquan Carlos - for context, Jordan Riley is top 2 in NY, a Georgetown commit, a ton of other P5 offers, with great size and skill - JC can't get here fast enough lol - sky's the limit in this PG dependent system:

I'd like to see that entire game. Jordan Riley was the Suffolk player of the year last year. Can't wait to see how Carlos does here.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Captain wrote:Just added to the transfer list is a small forward named Winston from St Bonaventure.
He was a starter last year as a frosh. His minutes were way down this year. Will have 3 years of eligibility and was a teammate
of Zion Bethea in High School.
WOW
would that not be a nice transition when Kante graduates - image a big athletic front court of this kid, Winston, Cramer and Green.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Here's who recruited him from H.S. Coming into St. Bonaventure, Winston had many high-end offers, including UConn, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Seton Hall, Rutgers, DePaul, St. Joe’s and UMass. OK I don't want to play the Devil's advocate but do you think we have a legit shot to get him and are we even considering him. We know that having a H.S. teammate who's playing for us HASN'T TRANSLATED WELL IN THE PAST BUT HOPEFULLY A NEW YEAR with good things happening!!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Of course this is complete speculation. He may have some ties to both Zion and Isaac Kante, since he also did one year at Putnam Science like Isaac did. Maybe he is homesick. Maybe he likes what he saw with Hofstra. Maybe I am dreaming, but he might be a nice addition.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Really nice upper 3 star / high major player, no question, and excellent size / athleticism combo... for his position.

I would caution that Winston is really more of a 4 than a 5 - he's of the mold of Green and Cramer, not Kante. Although he would be a great addition of course, I will put a little water on the idea in that he does not fill the need. HU needs a load in the middle to take over from IK when he's done, not another 4 when we have 2 potential stars there already.

His game is more of a slashing PF than a center, as his highlights and stats support - he's not a big rebounder, more of a scorer. Again, very good player with high upside, but doesn't fit what HU really needs in this class.
Captain

Post by Captain »

I think he is a 3 Polito not a 4.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Polito wrote:Little update on one of the next star HU guards Jaquan Carlos - for context, Jordan Riley is top 2 in NY, a Georgetown commit, a ton of other P5 offers, with great size and skill - JC can't get here fast enough lol - sky's the limit in this PG dependent system:

Love what I see here, seems like a guy that can score from anywhere, very comfortable going to his left, really crafty. Want to see more of the passing game, I'm sure it's there, just would like to see his vision.

Is there any chance we play him at SG some of the time? Feels like he could be complementary to Burgess's game, where Burgess can provide a little more physicality on defense and defers to Carlos on offense.
cactus
Site Admin

Re: MMB 2021 recruiting

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:Paul Atkinson from Yale in the transfer portal He is Ivy league co player of the year He will be a grad transfer and he is 6ft 10 Lets get him
Atkinson was recruited by a lot of big schools and just transferred to Notre Dame, with Miami, Iowa, NC State and Texas as the other finalists.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

We have to reach for the stars You never know
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

stuball888 wrote:We have to reach for the stars You never know
Agreed - but probably much harder to convince 1 year (half year in this case) guys to come here who have lots of offers from big time programs
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, a LOT depends on their reason for transferring - in general, mid major studs looking for a grad year home are often looking for the highest level possible to maximize their exposure. Not always, but often.

Transfers like Kante are much different, and that is the mold I would expect HU to strongly pursue - the multi-year player with all the goods, but still a bit under the radar from lack of time/production, and just needs the right opportunity.