William and Mary

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ProudofPride

William and Mary

Post by ProudofPride »

W&M announced they that are dropping 7 sports after this season - men’s/women’s gymnastics, men’s/women’s swimming, men’s indoor and outdoor track and field, and women’s volleyball.
Will drop them from 23 sports to 16.

AD, football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball all are taking salary reductions as well.
HofstraPride1

Re: William and Mary

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Bad sign considering how much wealth William & Mary has. Only sport this directly impacts Hofstra is volleyball and to a lesser extent track.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

This is a surprise that relatively wealthy endowed programs such as W&M and Stanford have dropped programs. I wonder if this is just the start of a few more colleges looking at their athletic programs and making changes. Considering all the money needed due to COVID, you have to think this is just the start of some very difficult choices for ADs and Presidents.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The Shadow wrote:This is a surprise that relatively wealthy endowed programs such as W&M and Stanford have dropped programs. I wonder if this is just the start of a few more colleges looking at their athletic programs and making changes. Considering all the money needed due to COVID, you have to think this is just the start of some very difficult choices for ADs and Presidents.
Is possible that William & Mary being a public university played into some of this and they may have already had way more sports than Hofstra, which was certainly case with Stanford. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I wouldn't say a trend per say, but I think each school is going to look hard at their books and handle things case by case. Def stinks, but I understand it.

And it really stinks for the student-athletes - the universities? I have ZERO sympathy for. They deserve this after gouging and taking extreme advantage of each modern generation. I hope massive reform comes from this that turns them on their heels and they no longer can run like a fortune 500, and more like a necessity for this great nation. If anything should be regulated, it's education (healthcare too, but I don't mean for this to get political lol).
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

The Tribe’s AD, Samantha Huge, recently resigned. Some sources say it was a forced resignation.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Canning Shaver how they did was a very poor move - bet that and other factors combined, esp the COVID impact - perhaps lack of leadership... that program has really turned for the worse under her watch IMO, I think they are hurting.