Transfer rule vote upcoming

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
cactus
Site Admin

Transfer rule vote upcoming

Post by cactus »

The NCAA Division I Council is expected to vote next week on a proposal that would allow college athletes in all sports to transfer one time with immediate eligibility to play
https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-to-vo ... jz9ZZc8qMt

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
triplec2195

Re: Transfer rule vote upcoming

Post by triplec2195 »

cactus wrote:
The NCAA Division I Council is expected to vote next week on a proposal that would allow college athletes in all sports to transfer one time with immediate eligibility to play
https://theathletic.com/news/ncaa-to-vo ... jz9ZZc8qMt

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This has big implications but based on past experience the NCAA has voted this down time and time again. This will be interesting to see if they finally approve this.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

What is everyone's thoughts on how this will effect Hofstra? I could see it being both positive and negative but I tend to feel it will be a net positive.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Not sure how I feel about this - I need time to digest it.
I feel players should be able to go and play when and where they want.
But - hate the idea of a player at - say a Hofstra - that has a good Freshman/Sophomore year that has a vision of going bigger and getting more exposure at a St Johns' or Seton Hall. I almost feel the Mid-Majors' could be come a farm system to the bigger schools.
And that scenario also has some ripple effects that I can imagine - like HS deciding to go Mid-Major knowing they can get immediate PT - with the intent of transferring later in their college years.
I am torn - but as I see it now I dont love it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

I can def understand this concern:
I almost feel the Mid-Majors' could be come a farm system to the bigger schools.
BUT, I will counter with they already are. This has already happened, and it has already happened in the CAA. Just not so much to HU due to HU's tremendous staff work on proper holistic recruiting process and total relationship building.

Because of that, I don't really see this as a huge risk - it's already a thing, so HU would've already been dinged by it if they were going to be under this regime. HU's talent has been top notch and P5 ready, yet stay loyal they do.

I think open transfer is the right thing for kids, and it needs to happen. And I think there's finally enough traction that it will. And I bet HU will largely benefit from such, both in continued CAA opponent exodus, and incoming xfer talent to HU.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I just looked up the restrictions for transfers for NCAA sports and it only applies to 5 sports: football, baseball, men's ice hockey, men's basketball, and women's basketball. Obviously, mostly impacting revenue sports. I can see this going both ways for mid-majors, getting burned by players going to power conference colleges, but also the other way. I also just looked on verbal commits and saw there were over 1,000 transfers for division 1 basketball. I would guess that number would increase without the one year restrictions.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:I can def understand this concern:
I almost feel the Mid-Majors' could be come a farm system to the bigger schools.
BUT, I will counter with they already are. This has already happened, and it has already happened in the CAA. Just not so much to HU due to HU's tremendous staff work on proper holistic recruiting process and total relationship building.

Because of that, I don't really see this as a huge risk - it's already a thing, so HU would've already been dinged by it if they were going to be under this regime. HU's talent has been top notch and P5 ready, yet stay loyal they do.

I think open transfer is the right thing for kids, and it needs to happen. And I think there's finally enough traction that it will. And I bet HU will largely benefit from such, both in continued CAA opponent exodus, and incoming xfer talent to HU.
You are right - in some ways we (HU/CAA) are already a farm system for the bigger schools - but teams can attract/solicit players with immediate playing time - as opposed to "burning" a year sitting out - and a a Jenkins, JFW couldve have been types of players that could appeal to bigger schools - after showing there goods at HU for a year or two.

I get it - it'll go both ways. I like what we have a tremendous staff- AGRREE that properly recruits/builds relationships AGREE - but I think we could come out on the short end of this - but still I trust our staff to do it right.

All that said - these are my feelings - and this change is RIGHT for the student athlete.