Fall sports

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Fall sports

Post by stuball888 »

With Covid-19 still hanging around and the State (long Island) still a ways from opening up what is the scenario for our fall sports teams. If the campus does not open by the July 15th I cant see any of our fall sports playing. You need practice time. Also will other schools in the CAA want to come to Long Island to play us. Even if we give up all our home games in the fall do they want Hofstra who is in the hot spot epicenter of this virus visiting their campus. Would they ban family members or fans from Long island from entering their campus for fear of spreading the virus. What are your thoughts and predictions.
Jojogunne

Re: Fall sports

Post by Jojogunne »

I think you're right, Stu. I don't see any fall sports taking place, and maybe not winter sports, either, especially if the campus remains closed.

As for people not wanting to come to our LI "epicenter" to play us, other schools may not want contagious New Yorkers invading their states. :)

Be careful out there, people.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I disagree about the July 15 date since typically fall athletes don't arrive on campus until early August for preseason and a decent chance the fall schedules get pushed back a little anyway given situation if sports are given go ahead. I also think what you said Stu about teams coming to Long Island is a complete non issue since we are far from only part of country facing this and our numbers have been improving of late compared to other states. Before we can even think about fall sports we need campus to be at least be partially opened this fall and this Rabinowitz message from yesterday offers encouragement on that front https://news.hofstra.edu/2020/05/13/uni ... us-update/
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Volleyball and soccer usually begin the second or third week in August
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Many state school campuses are going to be closed this fall. If their campus is closed, there is no way they are going to have sports, with football (of course) being the exception for many, but I'm sure not all.

I would venture to think that nearly every private school is going to attempt to open. State schools have the backing of taxpayers. Private schools are on their own. Forget what they refunded already to students, but there has to be no revenue from rentals, summer classes, conferences, summer camp, and the list goes on. And I can't fathom anyone paying $25,000 for a semester of online classes. But how many parents are going to keep their kids home, regardless? Especially those from out of state.

But on the sports front, it will be interesting to see what the conference does if some schools are open and willing while others are shut. And would the men's basketball out of conference schedule be cut, and just have conference play in the spring?

But with only four private schools in the conference, I just don't see there even being anyone to play against for the fall sports.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:Many state school campuses are going to be closed this fall. If their campus is closed, there is no way they are going to have sports, with football (of course) being the exception for many, but I'm sure not all.

I would venture to think that nearly every private school is going to attempt to open. State schools have the backing of taxpayers. Private schools are on their own. Forget what they refunded already to students, but there has to be no revenue from rentals, summer classes, conferences, summer camp, and the list goes on. And I can't fathom anyone paying $25,000 for a semester of online classes. But how many parents are going to keep their kids home, regardless? Especially those from out of state.

But on the sports front, it will be interesting to see what the conference does if some schools are open and willing while others are shut. And would the men's basketball out of conference schedule be cut, and just have conference play in the spring?

But with only four private schools in the conference, I just don't see there even being anyone to play against for the fall sports.
I think at end of the day most schools including Hofstra will be open in some form with a hybrid model that mixes in-person and online classes to enable better social distancing.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Maybe tennis, cross country, and golf will have fall seasons, in some manner, but I cannot see any of the others occurring as of now without a vaccine. I also believe the travel aspect of meeting other college teams will come into play. What would happen if there were no qualified officials willing to be a part of the fall contests? Maybe saving the expense for the teams not playing is the best, safest, and most practical outcome. Would any of you be willing to send your son or daughter on a long bus ride to Boston, or Charleston? Are the hotels in those areas safe? Are there place to get a meal for the teams? Are you just inviting a family to start litigation if some terrible transmission of the virus occurs. In my opinion, it is just not worth the health of all the players, coaches, and officials involved in any of these possible contests.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Cross country no. How do you enforce the 6 ft rule. Tennis no unless they eliminate the double matches
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I was thinking that you could time the runners on the course with staggered starts. To Stuball888, Yes, you are correct about tennis doubles. Another consideration for the fall HU teams is that both soccer, both tennis, both golf, both cross country/track, field hockey, and volleyball teams had members on their rosters from foreign countries. Are these student athletes going to be allowed into the USA?
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

HofstraPride1 wrote:
HofstraHockey wrote:Many state school campuses are going to be closed this fall. If their campus is closed, there is no way they are going to have sports, with football (of course) being the exception for many, but I'm sure not all.

I think at end of the day most schools including Hofstra will be open in some form with a hybrid model that mixes in-person and online classes to enable better social distancing.
Maybe, but the entire California public college system is online only in the fall already.

Honestly, even if you could come back, how many people would? The “college experience” isn’t going to exist this year.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

The California schools impacted by this are largely mostly commuter colleges, I.E Fresno State, San Jose State and San Diego State, and does not include UCLA and Berkley. If those schools and elite privates go this direction it could be part of a trend, but I don't put much stock in what these other California public schools opted for.

As far fall sports happening or not, it will all come down to whether we have testing capabilities.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Here is an idea would playing soccer football and volleyball in the spring instead of the fall for just one season. Would that work .
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

It would put a really big strain on many athletic departments. A lot of SIDs work both seasons, stadiums and arenas are used both seasons, athletic trainers work both seasons. Bigger schools could swing it. Would really stretch some smaller DI schools.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

We have facilities to pull it off, but like you said our staff would be stretched incredibly thin, especially athletic communications.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/cor ... 06kvtAwWEU

The above article about college plans for the falls this about says this in regards Hofstra:

"Hofstra University is waiting on the state's guidelines and "looking at many options" for instruction.

"We also are working with Northwell Health, our partner in our medical and nursing schools, to develop a plan that will keep the entire campus community safe and healthy while providing a robust educational experience," the university said in a statement.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://caasports.com/news/2020/5/29/ge ... 20-21.aspx

CAA put out a release saying there will be scheduling flexibility in 2020/21 season for non-revenue sports where not every team everyone in the league. Sounds like is possible Hofstra would perhaps limit CAA contests to the five northern schools and perhaps play them twice, but nothing is set in stone. Either way is good to see from release that all CAA schools are planning to open campus in some form this fall.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

https://www.thehofstrachronicle.com/cat ... start-date

Article copied above spells out plans for the fall semester with classes starting earlier and no students returning after Thanksgiving and then exams occurring virtually in early December. What is most comforting about plans is knowing we have Northwell as a partner to guide us through process. The wildcard now is if international students can arrange to travel here, and that of course could have major impact on all our fall sports,