Joel Kislin

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
fiftiespride

Joel Kislin

Post by fiftiespride »

Condolences to the Kislin family on the passing of Joel one of the all time great Hofstra wrestlers. I remember how excited Bob Getchell our then wrestling coach, later to be AD, was to land Joel. A 300 lb national JC champ whose sole sport was wrestling. He placed 3rd in the NCAAs' in 73 while compiling an overall record of 118+18. He wrestled for the US against Russia and in the east-west meet against Chris Taylor. Taylor weighed in around 470 and SI had a picture of Joel standing on one leg after hoisting Taylor before Joels knee buckled. Joel overlapped, I believe for 1 year, with Don Mayorga another outstanding heavy weight. Don had been a national high school champ at 215 for Massapequa I believe before growing from 6 4, 215 to 6 6,240. He and Nick Gallo were 6th seeds, I believe, entering the 76 NCAAs' at ASU. Both were upset in the first round. I ran across coach in a hallway and he was even more shell shocked and depressed than I was. Of course Nick went on to become our only NCAA champion the following year as well as the MVP. Unfortunately I wasn't there for that one. Nick was an Olympic alternate twice losing to great Cal. St. Backersfield guys. The final wrestle offs were the best 2 out of 3. Had they been decided by total points, I believe, Nick would have won both.
I know there are a number of "I believes" in there as my recall gets sketchier by the year but between Evan and Husid 76, hopefully any misstatements will be corrected.
Thanks to the Kislin family for their loyalty to Hofstra wrestling and Hofstra.
HofstraPride1

Re: Joel Kislin

Post by HofstraPride1 »

It sounds like he was amazing supporter of Hofstra wrestler and that Coach Papadatos developed quite the bond with him.
HUSID74

Re: Joel Kislin

Post by HUSID74 »

Very sad to hear of Joel's passing...he was a gentle giant...Went to Montreal for the 76 Olympics...Nick Gallo made the US Team but never got the opportunity to wrestle.