What a shame

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: What a shame

Post by HofstraMathew »

I really don't think the endowment would have anything to do with the athletic budget. There might be some endowed funds that were donated for sports but I would imagine the overwhelming majority of it is used for academic scholarships or other educational purposes.

So the comparison of budget to endowment I think would be meaningless.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Mathew the larger the endowment the more money can be spent on campus programs.We spend 3% of the money Hofstra had while Bryant spends 6%. If we spent the same percentage as bryant we could field not only football but mens and women s ice Hockey.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

stuball888 wrote:Mathew the larger the endowment the more money can be spent on campus programs.We spend 3% of the money Hofstra had while Bryant spends 6%. If we spent the same percentage as bryant we could field not only football but mens and women s ice Hockey.
Endowed funds have specific purposes; most of which are academic scholarships. Not sure if it is available but I would bet the amount of endowed funds for athletic programs is extremely small. The donor sets the purpose that the university must follow.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Endowed funds are just that for the endowment which is NOT touched...The income/interest derived from the endowment may be used for budgetary items.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

Some colleges have endowed parts of their athletic departments. For example, the new Cornell lacrosse coach Connor Buczek occupies the Richie Moran endowed head coach position. So this type of arrangement must be very different in how a college sets a budget for a specific sport.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The Shadow wrote:To HofstraHockey, Sill difficult to believe that the funds are available for what will be 26 programs over two campuses. Did you have any idea that LIU was interested in starting a hockey program?
Well, when they added a women's team, it was kind of seen as a precursor to a men's team. But nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody in the college hockey world, thought it would be for this upcoming season. Penn State, Arizona St., and virtually everyone else had a full transition year of playing high end club hockey while prepping for a move into NCAA. That allowed for a full recruiting cycle, time to put together a competent coaching staff, sell tickets and get some backers. I've never seen anything like this.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

stuball888 wrote:Mathew the larger the endowment the more money can be spent on campus programs.We spend 3% of the money Hofstra had while Bryant spends 6%. If we spent the same percentage as bryant we could field not only football but mens and women s ice Hockey.
Where were you able to locate these numbers? While I wish we could spend more of the endowment toward sports, is most important that it be used to help defer costs for deserving students to attend and help us combat the economic storm clouds we will be facing next couple years.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

The other schools are are on Google search. Hofstra comes from someone I know on the BOT.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wikipedia has endowments. You said about $600 million for us, and Wikipedia says $622.2 million. The rest of the numbers you gave match Wikipedia. To compare, I'm going to give the endowment for Stony Brook, the six schools in NYC other than LIU (rather than deal with two campuses, I'm excluding them), and the other nine CAA teams. That's sixteen, and amounts are in millions:

Columbia: $10.9 billion
Delaware: $1,466
Northeastern: $1,055
William & Mary: $1,023
Drexel: $813.7
St. John's: $748.9
Fordham: $733.5
James Madison; $620
Stony Brook: $341.2 (tiny endowment per student compared to us)
Elon: $273.4
Manhattan: $107.2
UNC Wilmington; $104.9
Charleston: $90.03
St. Francis: $75.386 with more precision (digits) from 2017
Wagner: $74.4
Towson: $71 (from 2014)

Despite being in the biggest city in the country and in the Big East, St. John's is below four CAA teams. James Madison is near us, and the other four in the CAA are under half of us. There's a giant difference within the CAA. If you think we don't spend enough on athletics, imagine if we played the same sports in the same conference with Towson's endowment. Including undergraduates and graduates, Towson has 2.05 times as many students as us, so they're not a small school. Based on the small sample, I'm guessing our endowment per student is higher than average.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

State schools traditionally have lower endowments, if any, as they are "endowed" by the State and its taxpayers. Sometimes, a state school has an endowment which just pertains to a specific program or purposes.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

One other thing I missed- along with announcing men's hockey, LIU also added a women's gymnastics program to start competition this fall. Likely done to balance some of the Title IX, but still interesting that when everyone else is cutting, they keep adding.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:One other thing I missed- along with announcing men's hockey, LIU also added a women's gymnastics program to start competition this fall. Likely done to balance some of the Title IX, but still interesting that when everyone else is cutting, they keep adding.
Hofstra used to have women's gymnastics until the late 80s before women's soccer was added.
Cards

Post by Cards »

They also had men gymnastics in the early 1970's.
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I have very mixed thoughts on adding programs during this COVID Time. I believe that many private colleges will be under a significant financial stress. I would rather see our present programs improve. As I have stated in other posts, I am not sure how these other private colleges are taking on these additional costs. I am guessing that LIU Post has the gym space because the do not have basketball programs on that campus.