MBB Recruits 2020

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: MBB Recruits 2020

Post by HUSID74 »

Somewhat surprised by his lack of hops for a 6-7 guy. Also seems to want to play mostly on the perimeter and take 3-pointers, but that's essentially what the tape shows. Don't know it that's the reality.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

Agreed HUSID-- I picked Upshaw as a comparison over Eli/TC for a reason... Eli and TC are athletic. From the videos I've seen of Green, it seems that getting to the rim and big hops aren't strong points here.

To me, that's fine! If I'm making a far fetched, out of this world comparison for fun, I'm seeing a lot of Jason Tatum and players in that mold of a smooth, scoring 2/3 in Green's highlights. We'll take it!

Again, self-admitted far-fetched comparison there... don't throw this back in my face in 4 years ;-)
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Upshaw is a great comparison...not such a bad thing!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Just a footnote that he averaged 18 points a game and 9 rebounds so he's not just a three point shooter or a kid that looks to just score. He just appeared to me to be a man among boys that's how I look at this kid.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, agree tc, not sure what the caution is here, this kid is a baller with a college ready body. He can handle the rock like a guard, shoot the 3, attack the basket, rebound, and seems to have an energetic positive attitude. And did this against talent I can trust. Funny to see a little hesitation w/him but the way overhyping of Masic lol. My bet is that will change quickly once both arrive.

Kid is excited to come here to boot. I see huge potential - likely plays decent minutes yr 1 and makes big strides to impact yr 2. Love the Upshaw comparison, and I'll take that all day long. Was also thinking Stormin' Norman, just haven't compared video yet.

And I'm not saying his and TC's games are the same, just that having a 6'6 4 w/skill would be fantastic. TC is def more athletic and a higher flyer, but the other elements are pretty close, and he's obviously got more length. He also presents a longer version of EP at the 3 if that's the route they take.

I'm all in on Green. It will take some time, at least first half of year, maybe full year, but get him and Cramer performing at the 3 and 4 and this team suddenly has some serious size to go with the talent. Never had that before, would be quite exciting to see.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I'm with you here Polito this kid brings the ball up the court like a PG and shoots like a SG so what are the reservations? IDK if he's a high flyer but at 6'7" I've seen him block shots and we know he's a rebounder so I'm excited to see him on the court with Cramer. Unless these kids under perform I think Stafford is the loser here.
HU87

Post by HU87 »

You guys might have read my post(s) with the wrong context... no hesitations here! In fact, I compared him to Jayson Tatum! lol.

Only potential areas of interest we brought up is that, for a 6'7'' guy, it's hard to find many highlights of dunks/blocks/interior dominance.

I think we're all, collectively, all in on Green and feel very excited for the caliber of player coming to campus. Should be a fun one to watch for four years.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Three HU recruits heading elsewhere
Noah Hutchins to Rice
Ibrahima Jarjou to Austin Peay
Ricky Council to Wichita State
Polito

Post by Polito »

Ah, I gotcha HU87, no worries!

He's def more of an outside 4, comfortable on the perimeter, with the size and handle to drive - me thinks Cramer is targeted to be more of the inside 4, with the athleticism and strength to battle in the paint, dunk with authority, rebound, and block shots - all high skill for him pre-injury. It will be very exciting to have both of these studs and to see how they mature into their roles.

Appreciate the updates Captain... sorry to see Hutchins go elsewhere, but onward we go - excited to see the PG these guys do reel in.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Polito wrote:Ah, I gotcha HU87, no worries!

He's def more of an outside 4, comfortable on the perimeter, with the size and handle to drive - me thinks Cramer is targeted to be more of the inside 4, with the athleticism and strength to battle in the paint, dunk with authority, rebound, and block shots - all high skill for him pre-injury. It will be very exciting to have both of these studs and to see how they mature into their roles.

Appreciate the updates Captain... sorry to see Hutchins go elsewhere, but onward we go - excited to see the PG these guys do reel in.
But in fact do we reel in a PG it's our biggest need right now but do we free up a scholarship to make it happen?? It certainly appears with all these recent offers that there's a feeling here that there will be at least one available!
Polito

Post by Polito »

There will be room. I have no doubt. There are a couple of team members that are very strong candidates for movement.

Offseason roster management is a yearly necessity, touch decisions have to be made if you want to win, and this staff has done well with that part IMO overall. In my VT crew, the saying for football scholly's is 'the numbers always work out' even when it makes no sense to us. Coaching staffs make sure of it, they have to, it's part of the job. And all have tricks up their sleeves that fans don't know about until it happens 8-)

HU will bring in a PG. Only question is, how high of a stud!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Ian Steere (4 star PF) transfers from St Johns to UNCW.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Some fresh meat for Kante next year LOL
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 8489794560

I guess this is why we have an open scholarship.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Juco guard from Florida just committed to Hofstra. Elmo Cowart 6' 3 avg 13 pts 6 assists 7 rebs per game

https://twitter.com/PscPiratesHoops/sta ... 64128?s=09
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Kinda bummed about Miranda as I liked what I saw from him in limited time. Guess he thought he should have got more minutes last season.
This guy they have to replace him though looks very interesting. He certainly fills up the box score.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

ProudofPride wrote:https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/statu ... 8489794560

I guess this is why we have an open scholarship.
Any word on Hughes and if he is staying or goin...??? Captain...have you heard anything from your source ????
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Interesting we finally have an available scholarship and we immediately sign a SG who can play right away. So we now have Jalen, Omar, Zion, Vukasin, Elmo and Tareq all shooters. Hmmm can anybody play the point and do we have another player ready to leave. This all looks well thought out premeditated if you will. Are we ready to sign a PG if someone else leaves and why didn't we sign one right away?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

triplec2195 wrote:Interesting we finally have an available scholarship and we immediately sign a SG who can play right away. So we now have Jalen, Omar, Zion, Vukasin, Elmo and Tareq all shooters. Hmmm can anybody play the point and do we have another player ready to leave. This all looks well thought out premeditated if you will. Are we ready to sign a PG if someone else leaves and why didn't we sign one right away?
I think this guy is the point guard. It may say SG next to his name but he was the PG for his team. See below link; he was 11th in all of junior college in assists last season.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019- ... cowart9b39
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HofstraMathew wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:Interesting we finally have an available scholarship and we immediately sign a SG who can play right away. So we now have Jalen, Omar, Zion, Vukasin, Elmo and Tareq all shooters. Hmmm can anybody play the point and do we have another player ready to leave. This all looks well thought out premeditated if you will. Are we ready to sign a PG if someone else leaves and why didn't we sign one right away?
I think this guy is the point guard. It may say SG next to his name but he was the PG for his team. See below link; he was 11th in all of junior college in assists last season.

https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019- ... cowart9b39
Great Matthew yes you're right I didn't look past my nose went for the label instead and 6.5 assists per game that's good news!