Game 17 vs. Elon on 1/4/2020 at 4:00 P.M.

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Game 17 vs. Elon on 1/4/2020 at 4:00 P.M.

Post by HofstraMathew »

cactus wrote:Did not think I would see 35+ from Buie, ever. 44 pts in a regulation game is somewhat mind blowing, on 19 shots no less. Bummed to have missed this one live.
8 points on the free throw line will help the efficiency. Which happens to match what the entire Elon team had. I am sure this was mentioned before in this thread but I just noticed he had 5 rebounds which was second on our team (and 3rd for the game) only to Kante.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HofstraMathew wrote:
cactus wrote:Did not think I would see 35+ from Buie, ever. 44 pts in a regulation game is somewhat mind blowing, on 19 shots no less. Bummed to have missed this one live.
8 points on the free throw line will help the efficiency. Which happens to match what the entire Elon team had. I am sure this was mentioned before in this thread but I just noticed he had 5 rebounds which was second on our team (and 3rd for the game) only to Kante.
It helps, but the foul line was a small part of it. He was 9/11 from 2 and 6/8 from 3. It was efficiency across the board.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Desure is starting to perfect getting the defensive player who's guarding him up in the air and creating the foul from beyond the arc thus getting 3 FT's. I've seen him on a few occasions pull it off. It doesn't always get called but he is starting to work it into his offensive bag of tricks!
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:The scoring jump for Buie this year is remarkable.

Prior to this season, Buie reached 20 pts a total of 3 times in 107 career games and he never scored more than 22 in a game.

This season, he's reached 20 pts 5 times in 16 games, including scoring outbursts of 29, 35 and 44.
Good points Wags.

I think it is a credit to DB game and his work ethic and improvement.

His game has always been team first - and as a
Freshman - sat and learned behind Green;
Sophomore - split season rehabbing/sitting behind Wormley and then taking the starting role/reenergizing the team;
Junior - became a true standout defensive point guard/leader with maybe the best trio of a PG, a scorer and a big in my years at Hofstra with Buie, Wright-Foreman and Taylor (Williams, Jenkins, Kanocvic; Green, Tanksley, Guysts...are in the running)
Senior - we've seen what this 160lber can do - its crazy.

And from where he was and what he is - all of us can see the vast improvement in his shot (I am not sure but Burress this year/Freshman reminds me much of Buie as a Freshman...good handle; breakaway speed; quick...but tentative inconsistent shot - work hard Caleb-you might be looking at your future in Buie).
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah we can only hope that Burgess is the future Buie he certainly plays aggressive D PROBABLY more so then Buie when Buie was a freshman. Remember that Buie was a prolific scorer when he was in H.S. I think he had a 40 point game playing against Justin's team in H.S. IDK iF Burgess ever had any offensive games like that in H.S. He looks tentative offensively right now but he just needs some confidence IMO.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Prior to this season, Buie reached 20 pts a total of 3 times in 107 career games and he never scored more than 22 in a game.

This season, he's reached 20 pts 5 times in 16 games, including scoring outbursts of 29, 35 and 44.
While it's been a great scoring jump for Buie, a lot of it is just pure opportunity. He's shown flashes of this scoring ability over the years.

He's the go-to guy now, obviously always deferring to JWF in the past. Buie's O-Rating, which measures offensive efficiency, is only up 1.5, mainly due to his jump in 3-point percentage. That's not remarkably dissimilar to last year for example.

Someone had to fill the void of JWF and Taylor in the offense. To an extent, it hasn't been filled, but luckily for us, Buie has maintained his efficiency, and been better from the perimeter. His play has saved us in multiple games.

From an efficiency standpoint, Pemba, Coburn, and Ray have all fallen off with more opportunities though. Kante hasn't been producing to Taylor's level, but he has been producing roughly to Rok's level. Kante's offense hasn't been the big issue, more rebounding, and matching up defensively with other bigs.

Our starting lineup has been sick and banged up though, hopefully this 1 game in 12 days stretch gets them healthy, maybe we can unleash our true offensive potential. The way we moved the ball on Saturday gives me hope.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:

While it's been a great scoring jump for Buie, a lot of it is just pure opportunity. He's shown flashes of this scoring ability over the years.

He's the go-to guy now, obviously always deferring to JWF in the past. Buie's O-Rating, which measures offensive efficiency, is only up 1.5, mainly due to his jump in 3-point percentage. That's not remarkably dissimilar to last year for example.

Someone had to fill the void of JWF and Taylor in the offense. To an extent, it hasn't been filled, but luckily for us, Buie has maintained his efficiency, and been better from the perimeter. His play has saved us in multiple games.

From an efficiency standpoint, Pemba, Coburn, and Ray have all fallen off with more opportunities though.
This is why you have to credit Buie. It's a lot more than just pure opportunity. As you said, Pemberton, Coburn and Ray have had more opportunity as well, but we haven't seen them take advantage of that the way Buie has this season.

Although Buie has been inconsistent as well, the jump in his bigger games is way more than anyone could've expected. Even with greater opportunity, no one foresaw Buie putting up scoring numbers like 29, 35 or 44. Prior to this season, his highest-scoring game was 22 before this year and his 20-point games were extremely rare. We might've expected more of those, but nothing like his top three this year.

And no one expected him to be the best 3-point shooter on the team. In terms of those chances and what's done with those, it's been better than the other three main shooters, with around the same chances for each of them from 3-point range:

Buie 33/79
Ray 28/77
Coburn 28/85
Pemberton 23/78

And he's done that while running the offense and still being far and away the team leader in assists and steals, and even 4th in rebounds.

When he's had his bigger scoring games this year, it wasn't because of volume shooting, it was because of great efficiency:

44 pts vs Elon on 19 shots
35 pts vs Towson on 14 shots
29 pts at UCLA on 12 shots
21 pts vs HC on 9 shots
Polito

Post by Polito »

It is remarkable for sure, and HU is going to need this to have any shot at the CAAT.

Buie can and has had clunkers, but for the most part he is a very efficient player/shooter. I saw this mentioned somewhere in this thread, but in general he did not score like this in HS - he was a very capable points man, but his strength and focus was dishing (esp to his buddy Govan) - he was an 8-10 assist per game player, one of the top in that category in the entire country.

Anyhoo, I don't care why or how, just keep it going DB!!