Game #11 vs. Stony Brook 12/10 7PM

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
The Shadow

Re: Game #11 vs. Stony Brook 12/10 7PM

Post by The Shadow »

So Wags opened the door on which member of the present staff would be in line to be the next HU head coach when Coach Joe retires. Would present staff members be the only choices, or would AD Cole look for other candidates?
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:So Wags opened the door on which member of the present staff would be in line to be the next HU head coach when Coach Joe retires. Would present staff members be the only choices, or would AD Cole look for other candidates?
I'm guessing everything would be on the table, but ideally, it'd be nice to promote Farrelly or Speedy to that role if they don't get HC jobs elsewhere by then. Probably not something in the near future anyway, as Joe seems to still love coaching and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. But when HUSID mentioned Speedy making a recommendation about the defense that worked in the last game, and prior to that, I mainly viewed Speedy as a recruiting and offensive type of assistant, it made me think of the future a little.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

FYI, Farrelly was named Assisr Head Coach last summer.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:FYI, Farrelly was named Assisr Head Coach last summer.
Yup, that's why I said a few posts back that he might be first in line before Speedy.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Wags wrote: Something about Eli last night though -- he drew a game-high 6 fouls (love that they have that stat in the box scores the past few years)... 6 of the 16 Stony Brook fouls.
Where do they have fouls drawn?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Evan I think its on the stat sheets at the game that the press corp uses Its not in the regular box score on line
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Wags wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Farrelly credited Speedy's scouting of SB and recommendation to go to man...I think Joe opted to start with zone over his assistants' recommendations...only when SB hit a few bombs did he then go to man...
Sounds about right. Good insight. I like Speedy getting involved in the defensive side of things. I thought of him having more of a recruiting and offensive focus, but all the better to prepare him to be a HC down the road (maybe at HU? though, as the Associate HC, Farrelly might be in line first?).
I also agree -think we were prepared to go man - and then game required it - they had a guy bombing away from the outside; and a big that never looked at the basket; seems like a perfect scenario to go man.
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Evan I think its on the stat sheets at the game that the press corp uses Its not in the regular box score on line
Correct. In a game like Eli Tuesday night, it's a great stat, because it tells a lot about the game a player had. I mean, anyone could also just see it with their own eyes. But, in a typical box score, you can see he shot 4/16, and you think... bad offensive game. But when you see he drew 6 of Stony Brook's 16 fouls, and the 6 were a game-high, you think... credit to Eli for being aggressive enough to do that despite the poor shooting game.