MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by Polito »

yeah, this is a tough one to sift through, really not sure yet... def not Andre Curbelo, he's a 4 star going P5 and is a 6'0 point. Maybe SJU.

Very glad to hear the staff has the savviness and intestinal fortitude to proactively scrap a recruit based on the visit if they don't think it's right. Polito approved move right there. I understand scout players, but I can't stand filler. Need to be very smart with roster spots at this level.

Sharing the same concern as triplec, where's the beef??? I'm not comfortable in any way with leaving the post roster as it is. Need a CAA level big to help Kante THIS year, and in IMO I really don't think that person is on the roster yet. Maybe I'm wrong, but just banking on Hughes and Schutte would not match the above, nor is that NCAAT mentality. WAY too much unproven there this year, need another big to be safe.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Polito is spot on. "In guards we trust" was fine for America East but that's not going to work in the Colonial.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

I'm assuming this is the recruit from PR.
https://twitter.com/buzzerbeaterpr/stat ... 2631905280
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Wearing JWF's jersey?
Cards

Post by Cards »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLFS5YLxkg

Some tape of Miranda from last year.

Of, and of course he's recruited by JM - he's lefty!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Cards wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLFS5YLxkg

There's a lot of video on you tube re Miranda and I was watching some last night. Maybe its me but I like a guy who can leap and throw it down. This kid looks fundamentally sound kind of like Desure just gets the job done without all the flair. I'll reserve my judgement and hope we get the big we so desperately need on this team to tandem with Kante. While I believe that Schutte will get some minutes they wont be major minutes so who's in the fold that has some size and bulk. Also Iona continues to land big transfers and gets Minnesota PG Isaiah Washington a 4 star recruit out of St Raymonds. No more redshirts please we need guys who can play IMMEDIATELY. We seem to have another golden opportunity to compete for the CAA title this year and will be losing both Buie and Eli. The time is now we need the last few remaining pieces of the puzzle.
garyg

Post by garyg »

triplec2195 wrote:
Cards wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYLFS5YLxkg

There's a lot of video on you tube re Miranda and I was watching some last night. Maybe its me but I like a guy who can leap and throw it down. This kid looks fundamentally sound kind of like Desure just gets the job done without all the flair. I'll reserve my judgement and hope we get the big we so desperately need on this team to tandem with Kante. While I believe that Schutte will get some minutes they wont be major minutes so who's in the fold that has some size and bulk. Also Iona continues to land big transfers and gets Minnesota PG Isaiah Washington a 4 star recruit out of St Raymonds. No more redshirts please we need guys who can play IMMEDIATELY. We seem to have another golden opportunity to compete for the CAA title this year and will be losing both Buie and Eli. The time is now we need the last few remaining pieces of the puzzle.
I'm with you...while I realize there is a lot more to basketball then just dunking I do not believe I saw Miranda dunk once in all the video I watched online...throw it down Jermaine, throw it down !!!!!!!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

This kid can play. Don't know who else is recruiting him but coaches very high on him. As for bugs, sure we can use another, still have ships left and lots of time.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:This kid can play. Don't know who else is recruiting him but coaches very high on him. As for bugs, sure we can use another, still have ships left and lots of time.
Agreed on lots of time. I looked back and last year we found about Taylor on May 8th and Dwyer on June 18th. Definitely harder to recruit a backup than a starter but I have faith the coaching staff will land someone; i'd assume a grad transfer but maybe a Juco transfer that can play two years.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

They could use another scorer if Silverio is not eligible next year, and a 4/5 athletic/shot blocker type.
They've already added 3 guys to this point, that is a lot for this staff, who always seems to pull a rabbit out of the hat late. not saying that they should bank on that, but they've had a track record of doing it thus far.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

True they've added three kids but maybe only one will step onto the floor and help us this year. I'm in agreement that we need a shooter and we need someone who can rebound and block shots. We have heard a lot about Kante but is this kid a high riser who will block shots and be a presence down low. You look at the entirely different dimension Taylor added to this team as a force down low. Clearly he was an upgrade in a lot of areas over Rokas in shot blocking and FT shooting. I'm also very confident that we will get the players we need and hopefully we will get good news on Silverio.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Isaiah Washington, the kid from. St. Raymonds is going to Iona. Sucks that we couldn't land him. He went to Minn. for 2 years, and decided to come back home. Would have loved to get a dude like him.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Any updates Captain ??
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Has anyone compiled a list of signed recruits to date? How do we stand?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Another big time add for Cluess and Iona - pretty incredible without Grasso

For HU, MIranda def looks like a talent with good size, versatile - not so concerned about dunking lol, but I do want players who have DOG in them - not sure I see that here, but we'll see

Frankly, I think JM's teams are always talented, but too soft for my liking - 6 years I haven't seen much swagger - guys like Green and JWF are uber talented, but often times displayed odd lack of confidence, or whining/sulking, or soft play, etc. Want to see more EDGE - it reflects the staff, JM is way too much of a 'nice guy' for me, I want to see more fight, more high demands, expectations, and the balls to claim a title and go dancing - not the 'ah shucks, well I hope so' nonsense - I want guys who say we are going dancing, and nothing less is acceptable here at HU - and I want the ballers who have the confidence and swagger to show it on the court - HU is too 'nice' talented for me, I want 'dog' talented, fighters with a palpable chip - watching a Morant's court attitude, watching VCU's swagger, it's just different.

But that's just me lol - sure it's not a 'requirement' to win it all, but for me I would like more bad ass (not to be confused with bad seed! and you can absolutely have good kids with a tough as nails tude).

Love Burgess - he's dog - need more of that

Would also really like to see some kind of a focus on bigs right now...
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Cluess attracts talent because recruits know Iona has an easy path to the NCAAT or NIT, even though the Gaels have not won a postseason game in their lifetime (only NIT win 1983, only NCAAT win 1980):

Last eight years:

2012 NCAAT First Four BYU L 72–78
2013 NCAAT First Round Ohio State L 70–95
2014 NIT First Round Louisiana Tech L 88–89
2015 NIT First Round Rhode Island L 75–88
2016 NCAAT First Round Iowa State L 81–94
2017 NCAAT First Round Oregon L 77–93
2018 NCAAT First Round Duke L 67–89
2019 NCAAT First Round North Carolina L 73–88

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona_Gael ... Postseason
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

It's probably even easier for Iona to get all these recruits now, with the major facility upgrades they recently announced.
garyg

Post by garyg »

The longer JAM is at Hofstra without making it to the dance the tougher it may be to land quality prospects because recruits want to be a part of March Madness...JAM can keep selling the dream but at some point it must become a reality...
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Didn't Iona recently win an ncaa pig?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hason Ward committed to VCU