Tony Shaver Out at W&M

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
dutchiedoright

Re: Tony Shaver Out at W&M

Post by dutchiedoright »

A recruit can be released from the LOR, but an enrolled player must still sit one year. Conferences can make it two years for an in-conference transfer.

A graduate student is usually immediately eligible (all things being equal) for the balance of his/her eligibility at another institution. I don't know for sure but would bet that the conference agreement would still apply to, and take precedence over, the grad transfer rule.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Justin Pierce is gone, and I have a feeling he’s only the first domino. W&M posters have a thread going on their board to fire their AD.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Dainan Swoope,Nathan Priddy and Simon Wright all transferring from Elon. Fire sale?? Also Alex Schulz from JMU.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Great news, with him and hopefully Knight out, changes a LOT for next season IMO

Keep 'em coming CAA!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

triplec2195 wrote:Dainan Swoope,Nathan Priddy and Simon Wright all transferring from Elon. Fire sale?? Also Alex Schulz from JMU.
I guess this was the foreboding of things to come with Matheny now getting fired.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Phil Martelli out at St. Joe's after 24 years there.

I guess it's becoming a trendy thing to dismiss longtime program institutions this year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:Phil Martelli out at St. Joe's after 24 years there.

I guess it's becoming a trendy thing to dismiss longtime program institutions this year.
St. Joe's has been struggling for a number of years now...time for a change there.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:
Wags wrote:Phil Martelli out at St. Joe's after 24 years there.

St. Joe's has been struggling for a number of years now...time for a change there.
Just the last three. He was in the second round of the NCAAT the before that, reached the NCAAT two years before that, and had consecutive NIT trips the two years before that.

This mirrored what happened at W&M. New AD hired last March at St. Joe's, and within a year of coming aboard, she fires the longtime men's basketball coach.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

In the St. Joe's situation, they may have brought in the new AD to eventually get rid of the longtime coach. I'd argue that's what W&M did to get Laycock out of there, and Shaver was a bit of collateral damage.

Martelli hasn't done a terrible job down there the last 10 years, but the program has slipped compared to Villanova and Temple, might be time for a change.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Flying Dutchmen wrote:In the St. Joe's situation, they may have brought in the new AD to eventually get rid of the longtime coach. I'd argue that's what W&M did to get Laycock out of there, and Shaver was a bit of collateral damage.

Martelli hasn't done a terrible job down there the last 10 years, but the program has slipped compared to Villanova and Temple, might be time for a change.
Yup, it sounds like that's exactly why the new St. Joe's AD was brought in. But that's pretty shortsighted if you're hiring a new AD for all of your sports simply to fire the head coach of one of them, even if it's your most high-profile sport.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

I mean the old St. Joe's AD retired, so the board was probably looking for someone to shake things up, they spent a boatload to upgrade basketball facilities a few years ago and the results frankly have not followed. Especially as Villanova is hanging banners, and one of your archrivals leaves the A-10.

Similar issue in W&M's case. We all know how tough that job is, and that Shaver is an excellent coach, but they were sub .500 this year, got bounced in the quarterfinals, and he's been there a long time with no championships. As a causal observer, I kind of had a feeling their program has reached it's apex with Shaver. I just don't condone the move because that team looked to be a prime contender for '19-'20.

Huge has a big school pedigree and may have a few candidates in mind that could take the program to the next level. I love her football hire, Mike London is the perfect coach for W&M. I think someone brought up JTIII as a candidate, again that would be a perfect fit, and he may be able to recruit just a little bit better to get them over the top.

Ultimately, Cole may be in the same position here. Not necessarily with Men's Basketball in the short-term, but Women's Basketball has declined, and Men's Lacrosse is stagnant at best, we may get some big coaching changes in the next year or two.
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Men's lax is "stagnant at best." Men's lax will likely be 4 and 10 this year. Men's lax is in full-fledged decline. Does Hofstra still have men's lax?
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

The fire is being stoked at W&M as Audige and Matt Milon transfer. Waiting for Knight to look for greener pastures TO complete the "FIRE SALE."
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:The fire is being stoked at W&M as Audige and Matt Milon transfer. Waiting for Knight to look for greener pastures TO complete the "FIRE SALE."
Picking up Knight on a one and done would be absolutely perfect (assuming JT is gone). Would give us some time to work IK into the system as well as get some college games hoops under his belt.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Excellent news.

And I would be very very surprised if any WM transferred in conf/to HU. Would take Knight/Pierce/Audige in a heartbeat, but I highly doubt it. Audige should go right to SBU IMO. Instant starter there. Course they have no coach either :? . Iona?

I'd look for Knight to go big time - kid is a perfect case for a quality P5 transfer. Would be an impact get and can def play at that level with his size and skill.

And I agree fully that Cole is going to be on the hook to make a couple of big hires in about 3 years. Hoops and Lax I see as definite needs at that time, and those are the flagships - will be VITAL hires. Make or break time coming in a couple of years...exciting to think about - I'm hopeful Cole brings in guys that can take what's been done and get HU to the next level and over the lingering humps.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Cards wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:The fire is being stoked at W&M as Audige and Matt Milon transfer. Waiting for Knight to look for greener pastures TO complete the "FIRE SALE."
Picking up Knight on a one and done would be absolutely perfect (assuming JT is gone). Would give us some time to work IK into the system as well as get some college games hoops under his belt.
Most conferences have rules against taking transfers from member schools...not sure if the CAA does but I can't ever remember it happening.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I asked this question in a recent post whether anyone ever transferred within conference? I don't ever remember it happening. As far as Knight is concerned he's from Syracuse I believe so could transfer there or maybe Buffalo. Two strong programs.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HUSID74 wrote: Most conferences have rules against taking transfers from member schools...not sure if the CAA does but I can't ever remember it happening.
Some conferences make players sit out two seasons to transfer within the conference, so it isn't prohibited but doesn't happen. If a conference made an outright ban, somebody could challenge it in court claiming that the conference was acting like a cartel.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Now they got bad news in another sport. http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... d-shooting is titled "William & Mary RB Evans killed in shooting." In both of his first two seasons, he was second on them in rushing yards. RIP.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

A 5th Tribe player announced that he's transferring, Luke Loewe.