Wanted: Coaches

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HofstraMathew

Re: Wanted: Coaches

Post by HofstraMathew »

HUSID74 wrote:
Polito wrote:Exactly my point about the years we are looking at these tourneys. I just don't see the value and don't think they are worth the money.

However, IMO, what would be even more valuable is continuing to do pre-season tourney work like they did in Canada this year. HU has been way behind on this before last year, most teams do this consistently, and I would love to see HU expand it to an overseas trip to face some of that competition.

This is a WAY better use of the money as it is for the improvement of the players who are actually playing next year.
Good point, but I think you can only do one of these trips every couple of years...not sure how many...maybe someone knows.
Looks like it is every four years.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... eign-trips
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

I had this from last year. I just want to show Polito that i am upset as well this year.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Fist pound to you bro, and just for the record I’m not being a baby – being honest, and I’m sick of the nonsense. You guys often make every other poster that says the exact same freaking thing I do out to be heroes, and me to be the bad guy – I’m just not that stupid, and will call everyone out for doing such. Again I’m not calling for anybody to be fired at all. I’m just pretty disheartened that this program continues to blow top talent and I really think this is the best we are going to see under this staff.

And I don’t feel bad for calling out paid professionals one bit. The players blew it, there’s no question about that, and they definitely should owm that and I’m sure they do and I’m sure they feel it – I’m also sure the paid staff feels it and owns it as well. These are good hearted guys, I don’t dislike any single one of them personally. But when you’re paid to produce, you are fair game to be called out when you choke every single year.

Give HUs talent to any top CAA coach current or former and they dance - just not this one of course.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

So you dont want him to be fired, but this is the best they can do under him? Fire him then no? Like in your opinion, why keep a guy that cant win?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Very fair question, and my answer is this: because I don’t trust this dept to hire a true champion. I think the next hire will probably be worse than this current staff, and even though I am angry and upset and sick of the BS, I do recognize that things could always be much much worse. This administration has proven absolutely zero capability to bring in championship quality coaching staff‘s in any sport. The ones that have had that Pedegree we’re under Shuart.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Hopefully Rick Cole finds a stud or 7 for this University.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Polito wrote:Very fair question, and my answer is this: because I don’t trust this dept to hire a true champion. I think the next hire will probably be worse than this current staff, and even though I am angry and upset and sick of the BS, I do recognize that things could always be much much worse. This administration has proven absolutely zero capability to bring in championship quality coaching staff‘s in any sport. The ones that have had that Pedegree we’re under Shuart.
Larissa Anderson?
garyg

Post by garyg »

In 6 seasons JAM has not won the BIG GAME and he shows no signs of bringing program to NEXT LEVEL meaning THE BIG DANCE...ALMOST is not good enough !!!!!!!!!!!!

JAM is stuck in his ways and refuses to ADAPT...ADAPT is a key word in the coaching profession...

1] JAM refuses to develop a rotation of 9 players...good DI programs recruit and develop depth....

2] Hofstra plays the same zone defense 90% of the time and opponents figure it out and exploit it...did JAM ever hear of man-to-man or other zone defenses or an occasional full court press ???????????

3] JAM'S in game coaching decisions remain very questionable as well...

Even though I feel it is time for a change I think JAM will be at Hofstra 2 more seasons because of the way things are set up...it is a shame because the program has so much potential which will never be realized with JAM as HC....
garyg

Post by garyg »

As far as new coaching staff everyone is expendable with the exception of Speedy...doubt it but let's see if new AD has balls to make changes that will improve program overall
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:In 6 seasons JAM has not won the BIG GAME and he shows no signs of bringing program to NEXT LEVEL meaning THE BIG DANCE...ALMOST is not good enough !!!!!!!!!!!!

JAM is stuck in his ways and refuses to ADAPT...ADAPT is a key word in the coaching profession...

1] JAM refuses to develop a rotation of 9 players...good DI programs recruit and develop depth....

2] Hofstra plays the same zone defense 90% of the time and opponents figure it out and exploit it...did JAM ever hear of man-to-man or other zone defenses or an occasional full court press ???????????

Even though I feel it is time for a change I think JAM will be at Hofstra 2 more seasons because of the way things are set up...it is a shame because the program has so much potential which will never be realized with JAM as HC....
Well said garyg.
JAM is a good coach for HU for many reasons. That being said, he is not the guy to get the program to the next level - very unfortunate but true. :cry:
Wags

Post by Wags »

Cards wrote:
garyg wrote:In 6 seasons JAM has not won the BIG GAME and he shows no signs of bringing program to NEXT LEVEL meaning THE BIG DANCE...ALMOST is not good enough !!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said garyg.
JAM is a good coach for HU for many reasons. That being said, he is not the guy to get the program to the next level - very unfortunate but true. :cry:
Understand why this is being said right now, but not sure if I agree with that, especially when they went to OT in a CAA finals despite their POY going 2/16. If he goes 4/16 or even just 3/16, we're maybe talking about JAM having a legacy of taking them to the promised land that year, and it's a whole different perspective on him now. It's a fine line sometimes.

By the way, for anyone getting on JWF, he showed up last night after a rough start. Nowhere near what Juan'ya did in his finals game (that said, they also don't have a chance of even getting there that year without Juan'ya, so that's not meant as an invitation to trash him either; he was great, too - just shows that relative to Juan'ya in the finals, JWF mostly did what he had to, but the team fell a bit short).
Last edited by Wags on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HU76

Post by HU76 »

Mihalich took over a program in complete ruins and won 20 games in his second season. He has three 20 win seasons in six years and just led the team to the most wins in program history and has two regular season CAA titles. Not to mention the quality of players and student athletes he has brought into the program. I understand the frustration but anyone calling for him to be fired is nuts.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HU76 wrote:Mihalich took over a program in complete ruins and won 20 games in his second season. He has three 20 win seasons in six years and just led the team to the most wins in program history and has two regular season CAA titles. Not to mention the quality of players and student athletes he has brought into the program. I understand the frustration but anyone calling for him to be fired is nuts.
Perspective. ^
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

HU76 wrote:Mihalich took over a program in complete ruins and won 20 games in his second season. He has three 20 win seasons in six years and just led the team to the most wins in program history and has two regular season CAA titles. Not to mention the quality of players and student athletes he has brought into the program. I understand the frustration but anyone calling for him to be fired is nuts.
Yes, thank-you for telling it like it is....Yeh let's go fire the COY!!!! Makes a lot of sense...NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cards

Post by Cards »

Can't take the numbers away from JAM. Those 20 win seasons are what they are, and 27 wins is impressive.

But lets keep an open mind and not let our love for HU cloud our interpretations. Northeastern finished one game behind us in the standings and had a much tougher OOC schedule. They lost thier number 1 and 3 scorers (Pusica and Occeus) to injury for 7 and 15+ games, respectively. If those two guys are healthy all season do we still think HU finishes first and JAM is the COY? Hard to say - who knows what would have happened. Lets flip the situation - what if JWF missed 7 games and either EP or DB missed more than half the season. Do you think we could have finished 1 game out of first - as Northeastern did? Can't predict....hypotheticals are always tough..... Gotta hand it to Coen though - the guy does a lot right!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Tony Shaver fired by William & Mary today, before W&M figures to be one of the favorites next year.

And of course, they finished 5th and lost to the same team Hofstra's COY beat one round later.

Be careful what you wish for. Could be a lot worse. Yes, there's some room for improvement, but I would leave the current staff intact for now. Despite the CAA Finals disappointments in 2016 and last night, the program is still on the rise overall, very much so, from where it had been not that long ago.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Wags wrote:Tony Shaver fired by William & Mary today, before W&M figures to be one of the favorites next year.

And of course, they finished 5th and lost to the same team Hofstra's COY beat one round later.

Be careful what you wish for. Could be a lot worse. Yes, there's some room for improvement, but I would leave the current staff intact for now. Despite the CAA Finals disappointments in 2016 and last night, the program is still on the rise overall, very much so, from where it had been not that long ago.
The primary reason Shaver was fired according to the press release was because W & M has never made it to the NCAA Tournament...sound familiar ?? IMO Hofstra will not make it to that level with current coaching staff...
Wags

Post by Wags »

garyg wrote:
Wags wrote:Tony Shaver fired by William & Mary today, before W&M figures to be one of the favorites next year.

The primary reason Shaver was fired according to the press release was because W & M has never made it to the NCAA Tournament...sound familiar ?? IMO Hofstra will not make it to that level with current coaching staff...
Except that Shaver was at W&M for SIXTEEN years and never won more than 12 CAA regular season games.

Mihalich has been at Hofstra for SIX years and has won at least 12 CAA regular season games in 3 of the past 4 years, including 14 and 15 in that stretch.

So, not really the apples to apples comparison you're making it out to be.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

First, look at his numbers. They are abysmal. Way below .500 in CAA and overall.

Didn't Coen lose a 13 point lead last year in championship game ?
Wags

Post by Wags »

dutchiedoright wrote:First, look at his numbers. They are abysmal. Way below .500 in CAA and overall.

Didn't Coen lose a 13 point lead last year in championship game ?