Hofstra vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
HUSID74

Re: Hofstra vs UNCW

Post by HUSID74 »

Mikey77 wrote:Checked out UNCW's schedule in advance of tomorrow's game. How does UNCW get programs like Clemson (ACC); Stanford (Pac 10), Davidson (A 10), and an American Conference school like East Carolina to come to Trask for a home game?
Relationships and money...they will fill their place with some of those schools so they can pay a nice guarantee...most you mentioned are a short bus ride away as well.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

The only one of those four that had to fly to UNCW is Stanford, and they played at UNC three days later. It's like Cal State Fullerton, who came to us after the Myrtle Beach Invitational. I don't think any school on the west coast would go to any CAA school and have that be their only game of a trip.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/1/14/me ... -uncw.aspx is Hofstra's preview titled "MBB: Hofstra Rides 12-Game Win Streak Into Showdown With UNCW."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... game19.pdf is Hofstra's Game Notes.

https://uncwsports.com/news/2019/1/15/m ... hawks.aspx is UNCW's preview titled "Pride Looms As Major Test For Seahawks."

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 011719.pdf is UNCW's Game Notes. They wrote about every game between the teams. UNCW is 21-19 vs. Hofstra and 7-6 vs. Hofstra under Mihalich. In the 13 games under Mihalich, each team scored 966 (74.3 per game).

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeCpjzfzDWg is video by Coach C.B. McGrath.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Their coach specifically referenced doing something to slow down Justin. Everything is always about Justin and that is what puts us in the drivers seat and gives us a distinct advantage over our opponents but only if we hit the open looks this double/triple teaming of Justin creates. All to often of late we haven't been able to bury those shots and I'm hoping that Buie can get his shooting touch back behind the perimeter. Obviously Coburn and Ray have had those open shots as well and we need to hit them with consistency. We are 12.5 point favorites per Newsday and we are in a very enviable place right now if we hold serve at home. Either NE or COC is going to come out of their game tonight with three losses which is huge for us if we keep winning. Lets go Hofstra take no prisoners!
Polito

Post by Polito »

Not to derail, but absolute baloney on the scheduling. I love that they landed UK and Nova to be played locally, that's big, and having LaSalle/A10's in the arena was nice too. But overall it's been a lame excuse for years. UD had UVA at home I remember not too long ago.

I think it's unfortunate HU doesn't do a better job - I know it's tough, but plenty of CAA schools are able to figure it out - they make excuses, and refuse to give in to the bigs - I get it, but I'm sorry, I'll take a 2 for 1 with P5 please. Better than watching friggin Kennesaw St for goodness sake.

This nonsense about no one wanting to play HU, but they'll play the W, is ridiculous and insulting to the fan intelligence - no one is afraid to only play HU, but will go and play CofC, UD, the W, etc.

It's nonsense.

I posted years ago that UNC purposely plays at a mid major every single year in an area where one of their current roster players are from - for HU not to get in on that from the NYC/LI Catholic school connection is insane.

Anyhoo, big one tonight, let's get nasty!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra by 11 1/2.
O/U at 153.

So, Vegas expecting somewhere around an 82-71 Hofstra win.
Pride97

Post by Pride97 »

Polito wrote:Not to derail, but absolute baloney on the scheduling. I love that they landed UK and Nova to be played locally, that's big, and having LaSalle/A10's in the arena was nice too. But overall it's been a lame excuse for years. UD had UVA at home I remember not too long ago.
Its funny - i always assumed that our arena capacity had something to do with this, but after doing some quick research, thats not the case. The Trask only seats about 1,000 more than the Mack. I also had no idea that Duke was less than 10,000 and Villanova is only 6,500. Clearly thats not the reason.
Wags

Post by Wags »

From Joe - great that he does this (and has in the past), just wish it had more of an effect. Certainly not his fault, just too much apathy in the area. People don't know what they're missing.

https://gohofstra.com/news/2019/1/17/a- ... alich.aspx
garyg

Post by garyg »

The marketing for the home opener got the place packed...why not be aggressive like that more often ???....Hofstra hoops provides a great entertainment value and once people catch a game they are surprised at the level of play...key is getting people/students there so they will want to come back...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Line opens at -12.5 for the Pride. We need to shoot well with Cacock still around. Can’t look ahead to CoC as UNCW has tormented us more than any other program. Just the logo alone scares me. Knock em out early and don’t look back, let’s make it a lucky 13.
Agreed, this has trap game written all over it with that spread and Charleston coming up.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

cactus wrote:
Hof_Judge99 wrote:Line opens at -12.5 for the Pride. We need to shoot well with Cacock still around. Can’t look ahead to CoC as UNCW has tormented us more than any other program. Just the logo alone scares me. Knock em out early and don’t look back, let’s make it a lucky 13.
Agreed, this has trap game written all over it with that spread and Charleston coming up.

Except that this is a REVENGE game. This is the team that knocked us out prematurely last season and beat us in the finals a couple of years ago...By now this team should expect a WAR EVERY game as every team we play wants to KILL our streak!
Cards

Post by Cards »

garyg wrote:The marketing for the home opener got the place packed...why not be aggressive like that more often ???....Hofstra hoops provides a great entertainment value and once people catch a game they are surprised at the level of play...key is getting people/students there so they will want to come back...

You're right garyg. the marketing/staff has been much better this year. I guess my only comment would be its very tough when the students are still out. I think tonight and Saturday will be a good turnout (Sat better than tonight), but by locals rather than students. Its a shame that so much of the season is played when students are itching to get home for Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Even when there is a good turnout, its not quite the same as when the Lions Den is full. Hopefully enough fans there next two games that will spill over into the student section so at least its not barren.
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

garyg wrote:The marketing for the home opener got the place packed...why not be aggressive like that more often ???....Hofstra hoops provides a great entertainment value and once people catch a game they are surprised at the level of play...key is getting people/students there so they will want to come back...
It isn't realistic to do a marketing push like that every game. It seems they have been pushing the February 9th game as the throwback game; I would expect the marketing for this to pickup even more after Saturday's game.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Does not have to be every game...say maybe 4 games...get people to arena so they come back....
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

http://defiantlydutch.blogspot.com/2019 ... ngton.html is Jerry Beach's "I'll Be Quirky: UNC Wilmington."

The Sagarin expects us to to win by 13.46 (Overall) 13.53 (Predictor), 12.76 (Golden_Mean), and 15.75 (Recent). KenPom expects us to win 83-70. RealTimeRPI expects us to win 87-68. Seven Overtimes expects us to win 86-66. All of those expect us to cover the spread. The latest line by Vegas Insider is 11.5. The other 3 CAA games have almost identical lines, with Northeastern favored by 4 hosting Charleston, Delaware favored by 4 hosting James Madison, and Drexel favored by 4.5 hosting Towson. James Madison at Delaware is on SNY at 7:00 P.M. if you want to DVR it.

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=237153 will have statistics.

Edit: https://static.caasports.com/custompage ... m#team.ind has UNC Wilmington's statistics.

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/hofs ... Type=video will have video.

Edit: Hofstra is starting their usual starters. UNC Wilmington is starting Devontae Cacok (senior forward who doesn't shoot threes), Jeantal Cylla (junior forward who shoots threes), Ty Gadsden (sophomore guard), Jay Estime' (sophomore guard), and Kai Toews (freshman guard). It's Gadsden's fourth start. He's shooting threes .552, and using ESPN's standards of who qualifies, that's second in Division I.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

It's tied at 14, and if Estime' can make a free throw to complete a 4-point play, UNCW will take the lead. Both teams reached 14 before any of the other 6 CAA teams who started at the same time.

Edit: We lead 21-18. Estime' has made both of his threes, but it was Gadsden who had the 4-point play. Buie got fouled in the act of shooting a three. His first one swished, his second one rolled and went in, and his third one went in to out to in. JWF has 2 points. He made his only shot.

Edit: After going down 25-22, we tied it at 25. Coburn leads us with 7. JWF missed his last 2 field goals, with one of them a three when he though he was fouled. 52 seconds ago he was subbed out with 2 points. I'm guessing he will come in after the media timeout, but I hope to post that later.
kerrywoodwins20

Post by kerrywoodwins20 »

One of the worst halves of basketball you’ll ever see in your life at the D1 level.

If they repeat that abortion of “basketball” they’ll be going home with one of the more humiliating losses in program history.

Kids appear to just have very little pride.
Hof_Judge99

Post by Hof_Judge99 »

Down at half 42-41. They have completly shut Justin down. Double team comes every time he looks to pull up for a 3. UNCW has more energy. Dwyer and ST have no chance against Cacock, need JT badly. Gonna be a nail biter.
kerrywoodwins20

Hof_Judge99 wrote:Down at half 42-41. They have completly shut Justin down. Double team comes every time he looks to pull up for a 3. UNCW has more energy. Dwyer and ST have no chance against Cacock, need JT badly. Gonna be a nail biter.
Really?

Sad when the fans can’t feel comfortable beating D1 #269 at home.
kerrywoodwins20

Lol this is the worst defensive effort in organized basketball history

Kids should forfeit their scholarships, that’s how lethargic and humiliating this is.

#269!!!! There are only 353 teams.
kerrywoodwins20

Finally get some defensive stops and the offense disappears???