MBB Recruits 2019

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB Recruits 2019

Post by Cards »

I think you may be right about that triplec. Trying to recall if it may have been because hughes was kind of a Darkhorse running under the radar. I don't even recall if he had any other offers listed on VC.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Yeah Cards I believe when we signed Hughes everyone was saying who is that kid and we all scrambled to get info. on him from the internet and couldn't find much. I don't think anyone of us knew we were recruiting the players we wound up with. We didn't get any kids we recruited out of H.S. in this country but still wound up with some good players especially Taylor filling a big void. I think it all came out in the wash.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

I don't know if anyone is paying any attention to what seems like an inordinate amount of kids that we're recruiting that have removed us from consideration in the last few weeks. I know we have offered quite a few kids for next year with realistically only a few open roster spots but seems awfully early for kids to kick us to the curb. It probably will turn out that we will go recruiting overseas once again.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

If you look at Verbal Commits a lot of those kids were being recruited by other CAA schools as well with the same result. What I saw were quite a few "REACHES" four and three star kids who realistically it would be tough for us to land....Recruiting is a numbers game and you need to be "In It" with a bunch of kids to "Win It" with a couple of them….hopefully!!!!
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:If you look at Verbal Commits a lot of those kids were being recruited by other CAA schools as well with the same result. What I saw were quite a few "REACHES" four and three star kids who realistically it would be tough for us to land....Recruiting is a numbers game and you need to be "In It" with a bunch of kids to "Win It" with a couple of them….hopefully!!!!
Agreed SID a numbers game but don't you feel we're starting to aim our sights higher offering 3 and 4 star recruits. Right now on our roster we have a few three star recruits in Pemberton, Foreman and Taylor even though we didn't recruit Taylor from H.S. However we have seen over and over again some of the best players in the league over the years have been 2 star recruits. The star system is a bit overrated.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Totally agree that the Stars mean little or nothing....that being said, you need to look at the schools recruiting a kid. That will tell you much more. There is a reason why every kid we offer has been sought after...maybe we know his coach, have some other connection, he fits our style of play or need...we can go on and on. But we need to be in the mix with a large number of kids as you never know what can happen...for example a lot of big schools keep a couple of "safe" kids hanging on even though they are recruiting above them. This same kid holds Hofstra off because he's holding out for a better offer...sometimes it comes sometimes it doesn't.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Totally agree that the Stars mean little or nothing....that being said, you need to look at the schools recruiting a kid. That will tell you much more. There is a reason why every kid we offer has been sought after...maybe we know his coach, have some other connection, he fits our style of play or need...we can go on and on. But we need to be in the mix with a large number of kids as you never know what can happen...for example a lot of big schools keep a couple of "safe" kids hanging on even though they are recruiting above them. This same kid holds Hofstra off because he's holding out for a better offer...sometimes it comes sometimes it doesn't.
Good points SID and good insight. So we could get lucky and be some players back up plan while that doesn't sound great on the face of it that could behoove us in the long run. I believe we signed ROK when he was looking to go to URI and Pemberton when he had signed with W&M also Trueheart who I believe had signed with James Madison. In reality it doesn't so much matter how you get players as long as you get them in a legit fashion of course.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Including today 57 days until early signing period...LOL...Anyone hear anything ?? Plenty of verbals out there
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Has anyone heard anything on if Taylor will gain another year of eligibility? As that would have a decent effect on how we recruit this upcoming class.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hoping Taylor can average a solid 9 PPG and 6 RPG...anything above would be icing on the cake...
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

garyg wrote:Hoping Taylor can average a solid 9 PPG and 6 RPG...anything above would be icing on the cake...
Yeah that sounds good along with a few blocked shots and some respectable FT % shooting!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Have not been following Hofstra BB this year-how does the team look?
garyg

Post by garyg »

bobe13 wrote:Have not been following Hofstra BB this year-how does the team look?
We are heading to the Final 4 this season Bob....anything less is unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Right
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

So on a more serious note does anyone have any inside info. on whether Taylor is going to get another year of eligibility??
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Michael Christmas a 6'6" SF out of Virginia and a 3 star recruit has verbally committed to James Madison for what its worth. I mention this because we recruited him also but he's in their backyard. 10/9/2018 - 2019 SF Michael Christmas (6-6, 195, 3★) committed to James Madison.
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone hear any news on prospects or players making visits ??

Need to land two guards and a big guy to develop...
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

garyg wrote:Anyone hear any news on prospects or players making visits ??

Need to land two guards and a big guy to develop...
Jamir Young - PG - DeMatha Catholic - included Hofstra (along with Charlotte, LaSalle, ODU, BC) in his final 5 choices - all of those other schools are deep at PG.
garyg

Post by garyg »

May have a good chance at this kid since JAM coached at DeMatha...
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

PG of the future definitely needs to be #1 on the list. Even with JWF graduating they do have scoring guards next year.