MBB Recruits 2018

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
triplec2195

Re: MBB Recruits 2018

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:Agreed Triplec that these lists are somewhat inaccurate and that there are still others not listed....my count, 6-7 and over and listed as a PF or C and is immediately eligible is 25. Still plenty of bodies both on that list and the JUCO lists but you have to wonder why we have not been able to land ANYONE or at least appears to be ready to play next year.
I would think many of these kids would salivate at the opportunity to come in and start right away on what could be a title contender.
I'm with u SID you've been around this program as far back as I have watched it from the stands. So you must have some decent contacts here. I'm really dumbfounded here seeing that UNCW has signed two PF transfers one that is eligible this year and W&M GOT A 7" TRANSFER FROM WISCONSIN. Does anybody know who we're recruiting at this point other then Prince Oduro who has a lot of suitors??
Cards

Post by Cards »

I don't have any special contacts or insight, but my guess is that the JUCO Maricevic and transfer Olujobi were our two top "big" targets. Both of these guys had solid resumes and yet they were not totally out of reach for HU. Either one would have been a great signing.

I would really like to see us stay away from recruiting a "big" that's under 6'8". Seems like most teams in the CAA have sizable bigs _this has not always been the case. Of course the guy from UNCW (Cacok) is the exception - he plays a very big 6'7".

Won't help us this season, but I see we offered a 2019 big from Oak Hill (Roks high school). Kid is about 6'9" 275. Has a nice touch, but looks to still have about 25 lbs of baby fat still on him! Of course hes not the star at Oak Hill, but heck, HU isn't gonna get the stars from that BB factory. I'll gladly take the Oak Hill non-superstars at HU.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

triplec2195 wrote:I went thru the V/C list of transfers that r immediately eligible using the criteria of 6'7" and taller and I come up with 19 players. SID I hope your count is more accurate and I come up with 14 JUCO'S who r listed as either PF or Centers. Note that I found at least one player on this JUCO list that apparently had already signed and that was Antun Maricevic a 6'10" kid coming from Casper college. ESPN shows that he is verbally committed to South Florida. You have to wonder how accurate(up to date) these lists are? On the JUCO LIST there's a kid named Ivan Aurrecoechea a 6'8" PF/C who played for Indian Hills CC where Wormley came from. There are 6 schools shown on V/C recruiting him unfortunately Iona is one of those schools but HU isn't shown which may or may not mean anything. Some of the kids on the transfer list that r still available it should be noted have smaller frames(weigh less) then Stafford Trueheart. Just throwing this out there and I'll go on record saying IMO that neither one of these lists are totally comprehensive. The transfer list grows by the minute! Staying optimistic!!
As you noted, teams are all over these JUCO bigs right away.

They missed out on their top targets, and are in trouble when it comes to getting a legit big who can contribute next year.
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

Maybe we aimed too high but in either case unless we really luck out we will be way under sized for our front line.
All this time and we were not able to land anyone? Definitely give the coach an extension for winning 18 games last year.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

bobe13 wrote:Maybe we aimed too high but in either case unless we really luck out we will be way under sized for our front line.
All this time and we were not able to land anyone? Definitely give the coach an extension for winning 18 games last year.
19 actually Bobe if u want to be accurate and let's be honest this isn't all on Joe. He did OK at Niagara and got ROK, DESURE AND Justin then landed Eli a 3 star player 3rd best coming out of Connecticut. Say what u will but it's not over yet.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We will NOT enter the year with our current roster. Expect the staff to land at LEAST two more to the roster and perhaps another red shirt. You can BANK on it.
Cards

Post by Cards »

HUSID74 wrote:We will NOT enter the year with our current roster. Expect the staff to land at LEAST two more to the roster and perhaps another red shirt. You can BANK on it.
I am 100% confident you are correct SID. The question is what will be the quality of the players??
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

If there is anything about Joe and his staff they have not compromised on players. They only take guys they believe can play and succeed at Hofstra. I've got to believe this will be true for this class as well.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

HUSID74 wrote:If there is anything about Joe and his staff they have not compromised on players. They only take guys they believe can play and succeed at Hofstra. I've got to believe this will be true for this class as well.
Yes we have been keeping the integrity of the program with Joe without picking up any rehab type players. This as we know hasn't always been the case here even going back to when I started to watch this program. SID do you remember the local kid whose brother was a PG here Eric Harvey. We took his brother as a transfer here from Cincinnati after he got in trouble there. Does anyone remember Lionel "The Train" Harvey? I'm sure this wouldn't go down today but How were we supposedly entertaining recruiting Carleton Bragg? The temptation is compelling with some of these players and their skill set. We're doing the right thing here but we need to land some players soon hopefully players that can help immediately.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

You have to pick and choose your project recruits. For some reason Tim Cluess was able to keep his players in line. I wonder what his formula is but you can’t argue with his success. None of his players have gotten in trouble during their time at Iona
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:You have to pick and choose your project recruits. For some reason Tim Cluess was able to keep his players in line. I wonder what his formula is but you can’t argue with his success. None of his players have gotten in trouble during their time at Iona
Or that we know of.
garyg

Post by garyg »

ZMAN3 wrote:Chances of a recruit choosing HU over Big East is unfortunately next to zero :cry:
I basically said the same thing weeks ago
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

triplec2195 wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Agreed Triplec that these lists are somewhat inaccurate and that there are still others not listed....my count, 6-7 and over and listed as a PF or C and is immediately eligible is 25. Still plenty of bodies both on that list and the JUCO lists but you have to wonder why we have not been able to land ANYONE or at least appears to be ready to play next year.
I would think many of these kids would salivate at the opportunity to come in and start right away on what could be a title contender.
I'm with u SID you've been around this program as far back as I have watched it from the stands. So you must have some decent contacts here. I'm really dumbfounded here seeing that UNCW has signed two PF transfers one that is eligible this year and W&M GOT A 7" TRANSFER FROM WISCONSIN. Does anybody know who we're recruiting at this point other then Prince Oduro who has a lot of suitors??
I'm sure you guys are shrewd enough to realize that it's probably not in Coach's interest to tip his hand? Why would he want the whole world to know who he's going after? He's not new at this.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

HUSID74 wrote:If there is anything about Joe and his staff they have not compromised on players. They only take guys they believe can play and succeed at Hofstra. I've got to believe this will be true for this class as well.
Compromise elsewhere. Boar's Head.

In all seriousness, I agree. Unfortunately, there has been a glaring deficiency in his/his staff's ability to develop well rounded big men- not an easy task. Personally, I think Pecora did a better job in this area. Should have gotten more out of Rok.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

garyg wrote:
ZMAN3 wrote:Chances of a recruit choosing HU over Big East is unfortunately next to zero :cry:
I basically said the same thing weeks ago

That's OK - I said it years ago - lol
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

joeg1 wrote:
triplec2195 wrote:
I'm sure you guys are shrewd enough to realize that it's probably not in Coach's interest to tip his hand? Why would he want the whole world to know who he's going after? He's not new at this.

I don't understand why who he is recruiting would be a secret - The Detroit Free Press has articles almost on a daily basis who Michigan St and Michigan offers. Michigan State Daily has a write up on everyone MSU offers in football and basketball.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

The recruiting game obviously is a lot different for Hofstra than the MSUs of the world. We rely more heavily on guys that may fall through the cracks (JWF) and hope to establish a relationship before the rest of the world catches on, or may be willing to take a flyer on someone we may feel is underrated and has some potential to be a diamond in the rough. I can see why JM wouldn't want to advertise this. Probably there is a circle of insiders who are in the know, but why let others eat your lunch?
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe this isn’t the NFL draft. These kids tell family and friends who they are being recruited by. Do you think we tell the recruits be very very quiet. We don’t want anyone else giving you an offer. Guaranteed if a lower recruit gets an offer or interest it will be all over Facebook before our coaches close the door to their homes
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:Joe this isn’t the NFL draft. These kids tell family and friends who they are being recruited by. Do you think we tell the recruits be very very quiet. We don’t want anyone else giving you an offer. Guaranteed if a lower recruit gets an offer or interest it will be all over Facebook before our coaches close the door to their homes
Sure these kids use social media and make recruiting videos, but its a lot of noise. Not everyone who gets an offer or two is worth pursuing. It takes a lot of leg work to sift through all of the potential recruits - knowing who to go after takes skill and experience. If they are an emerging star, word will get out, but our staff may see something in a recruit that others do not. But you can't go after everyone, which is to Hofstra's advantage. And we do offer a lot of people, because at our level, you don't close on many of them.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

St. Peter's just added a seven-footer:

http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/05/01/maju ... st-peters/