Post by Jojogunne »

garyg

Re: New Athletic Director

Post by garyg »

Seems like most at Iona have high regard for Cole
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

stuball888 wrote:It comes from the top. I have been critical of Rabinowitz. Not for academics or the overall running of the university. When it comes to athletics though he keeps his AD on a short lease. Let face it both ADs Jack Hayes and Jeff Hathaway quit. If things were so good here they would have stayed And Joe if Rabinowitz is pouring so much money into the facilities how come we have an antiquated scoreboard that barely works while a d2 school like Adelphi and Iona college have a better scoreboard and sound system
You characterize Rabinowitz as some cheapskate who won't spend any money, and it's an untrue stereotype. He values academics more than sports. History will judge him more kindly than those who view through the narrow lens of athletics.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HofstraHockey wrote:That was sarcasm, man. They literally just got their athletic director.
my bad. thought you were referring to their hoops coach:)
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe only a cheapskate when it comes to athletics. Sorry by why should a d2 school like Adelphi have a better scoreboard and sound system than us. This scoreboard is how old. It was left over from the coliseum. We got it second hand don’t you think after 20 years this should be a priority. If you remember at Shuart stadium he waited unless the scoreboard was in Braille before he allocated money for it. Enjoy your blinking scoreboard next year
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

The scoreboard in the Arena is NOT from the Coliseum.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

So how old is it 18 years old. Isn’t it time for a new one? Or do we like having blinking numbers on it. When I asked one of the asst ADs they said do I have 500,000 for a new one. He said there are no plans to replace it. So a school with almost 600 million in endowment does not wNt to spend 500,000 on a new scoreboard but you guys feel they will spend 1 mil to move to another conference. Boy that’s rich
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Also AJ when they replaced the scoreboards at Shuart and Bill Edwards field they replaced them with cheaper boards
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

We need to find a sponsor for the scoreboard...Jet Blue comes to mind.
Another issue w Hofstra is that Stu wont let the athletic dept sell corporate naming rights to anything...kills big sponsor dollars.
He'd rather have Mack on everything.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

HUSID74 wrote:We need to find a sponsor for the scoreboard...Jet Blue comes to mind.
Another issue w Hofstra is that Stu wont let the athletic dept sell corporate naming rights to anything...kills big sponsor dollars.
He'd rather have Mack on everything.
What about WB Mason?
Polito

Post by Polito »

corp sponsorships are a MUST, and to block them is just silly - when you need money, the egos need to take a seat, and put some green in the budget - don't care if it's Chic-fil-a or Bud's Mufflers, put some dollars in the dept asap.

And why is it an issue for athletics? The med school took a major multi-million dollar donation and renamed it for the family.

joeg1, usually with you on a lot, but not on your takes here.
Quality academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive.

^-- FACT. AMEN HU76, thank you. To think any differently is completely false and a very antiquated way of thinking. It's done, and done well across the nation across all levels.

Matter of fact, it's not just possible, it's vital for a D1 institution. This isn't Swarthmore, and HU isn't going in that direction. This is a school with an important combo of class and sport, and both need to be treated with priority.

Of course academics will be first overall, but in D1 it's really 1A and 1B. You cannot slack on either. And you don't need to.

Do not agree at all with cutting football, but that's been beat to death.

Not so sure how Rabs legacy will be remembered, he may be looked at positively in some areas for sure, but to say he will be one of the best ever is probably debatable.

I love the med school and the debates, both great things he deserves kudos for. But have we seen a major uptick in academic standing or reputation? I don't see it, but maybe I'm wrong and just haven't paid attention...

Considering all we here and see is that Rab is all academics, and athletics being downplayed more than before, I have been expecting a major boost in academics, ranking, and new campus infrastructure - has this been the case and I just don't know it?
HofstraMathew

Post by HofstraMathew »

Didn't David Mack pay for the arena to be named after him? How is that not the same as a corporate sponsor doing it?

I have no idea the financial terms that deal was done on so maybe there is an argument they could have got a better deal but I have no way of knowing the facts involved to have an opinion on that one way or the other.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Hm, perhaps a matter of one-time vs recurring?

Also, court naming rights need to be done - not sure the deal there either

But a family donation is different than a corp sponsorship for sure, but like you I don't know the exact details
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

In most cases the name donor is much less and non recurring....but HU's policy as far as I know is NOT to sell naming rights to corporations.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

And this is the case with many schools. It is very different to have a family name on a building than a corporation's.

And the softball scoreboard was a HUGE upgrade over the old one. The old one did not have a line score, like this one does, nor the ability to enter team names, which always made it annoying when Hofstra was the designated away team in the CAAs.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

AJ are you sure about line score and name. This one we have now looks very generic. I have seen high schools with scoreboards like ours. The one at Shuart stadium definitely a down grade as the old one had replay on it
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Like others have said David S Mack is an individual so the naming is allowed. Still our scoreboard and sign throughout the arena have corporate babes on it. It is still very confusing
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Am I sure??? I stared at that thing every day for years. Grasping at straws here. There's a new AD. Give him a chance to move into the new office, and then see what he does. I'd rather they spend the 500k on marketing the program and getting people to the games, THEN work on the scoreboard.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Spoke with somebody today that considers Cole a family friend. Somebody in their family worked for Cole at Iona. They only had amazing things to say about him personality wise. Of course they weren't going to trash him if they consider him a family friend, but they were definitely zealous when talking about him.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

HofstraHockey wrote:Am I sure??? I stared at that thing every day for years. Grasping at straws here. There's a new AD. Give him a chance to move into the new office, and then see what he does. I'd rather they spend the 500k on marketing the program and getting people to the games, THEN work on the scoreboard.
Agreed on this

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk