Wanted: Coaches

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
joeg1

Re: Wanted: Coaches

Post by joeg1 »

Don't know the dynamics of the staff, but...in the NFL when a coach is on the hot seat, often the coordinators go, to shake things up.

Although Speedy IMO, is not ready to be HC yet, he brings a lot to the table. He may be the heir apparent, and is Hofstra royalty. He is untouchable.

Assuming JM is not going anywhere, I think the entire rest of the staff, from top to bottom, needs to be re-assessed for possible upgrades.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Cards wrote:I'm not going to sugar coat things - Nothing personal against anyone on the staff, but keep Speedy and lose the rest. Without a change, we will be on this very same board 365 days from now complaining about the coaching staff.

If Speedy stayed, I don't think we would lose anyone to transfer. Obviously we need a strong defensive coach, and a coach who can work with the bigs (whoever they may be).
Agreed Cards.
Last edited by Mike34 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Of course you don't HUSID :) . I am not one to be afraid of change, rather I am afraid of the status quo. Change is good and should be embraced, especially after this length of time. So God bless ya, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine.

By the way, I didn't start this thread 8-)

I stand by my appreciation post. I am grateful for their passion and efforts. But they have proven to be incapable of taking the next step. This isn't opinion, it's just fact, there's nothing to argue. I said the first goal was to get this program right. They did that and have been given credit for it. The second goal is to WIN A CROWN and GO DANCING. On this they continue to fail.

There is absolutely nothing rash about change after 5+ years. Its not year 1, plenty of time has been given.

And I heard the same thing about waiting LAST YEAR. What exactly am I waiting for? What do you think is going to change? Next years team will win games just like this one, play no defense just like this one, and likely have FT issues just like this one. One new starter isn't going to change anything because the STAFF has no changes. It's all about the leadership folks. Not complicated.

I know full well we are stuck with it because this admin has no balls, no care, and apparently no D1 athletics intelligence - but that doesn't mean I have to agree or support it. I believe it is time for change and for an upgrade - despite what some apparently believe, those two are not mutually exclusive. It can be done, has been in the CAA/at this level, and should be done here.

Can it? Well sadly I agree with FD, I don't have much faith this current admin can do what's necessary in order to win titles and go dancing. But I'm hoping like heck that the new AD is off the charts and has the mettle and wits to make this program great.

I'm not sorry or ashamed that I desire change. I'm sorry this staff couldn't get to the next level in 5+ years, and I know they are too. But this isn't about emotion. I care about the elevation of this program, not the maintenance of the same failures every year.

The new AD should feel the need, desire, and pressure to make improvements after next year.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Why is everyone clamoring for Speedy when he IS ONE of the coaches you want out of here. What do you think he is doing every day in practice? How many of you guys have ACTUALLY BEEN TO A PRACTICE to see what is worked on and HOW the players respond to it.

Defense is all about EFFORT, sure you need to have the physical capabilities, but it comes from deep down...and it was clear to me that we did not give EFFORT on the defensive end...and maybe some of you are right...we don't have the players who are WILLING to play defense...that needs to be addressed.

And Polito, if the administration, whomever that might be, reacted to the days events as you do, the program would look like the TRUMP administration! With bodies flying around EVERY DAY.LOL I for one am willing to see this all play out over AT LEAST the next year...and let the new AD take stock in ALL the programs and make decisions that need to be made THEN...and I'll be willing to wager that is what he or she will do as its the prudent way to go
Wags

Post by Wags »

joeg1 wrote:Don't know the dynamics of the staff, but...in the NFL when a coach is on the hot seat, often the coordinators go, to shake things up.

Although Speedy IMO, is not ready to be HC yet, he brings a lot to the table. He may be the heir apparent, and is Hofstra royalty. He is untouchable.
I know I may be viewed as a heretic for saying this, But if an assistant isn't doing his job, I don't care what he did for the program before, as a player. I greatly appreciate everything Speedy did for Hofstra Basketball as a player and as an ambassador of the program, and I don't know whether he's been outstanding, terrible or anywhere in between as an HU assistant. But to say he's "untouchable" because of what he did as a player gets you in the same predicament you want to get out of. If the guards' defense was poor this year, and that's his responsibility, he's partly culpable and putting HU on the map as a player 18 years ago should have no bearing on him today. He should be honestly and fairly evaluated as an assistant the same way all of the other assistants should be evaluated. Regardless of his 11-ring pedigree as a head coach, and two rings he won as a Knicks player, Phil Jackson was let go by the Knicks three years into his five-year deal because he sucked as an executive. Should be no different here. "Untouchable" should only be reserved for when you do your CURRENT job well.
Wags

Post by Wags »

HUSID74 wrote:Why is everyone clamoring for Speedy when he IS ONE of the coaches you want out of here. What do you think he is doing every day in practice? How many of you guys have ACTUALLY BEEN TO A PRACTICE to see what is worked on and HOW the players respond to it.

Defense is all about EFFORT, sure you need to have the physical capabilities, but it comes from deep down...and it was clear to me that we did not give EFFORT on the defensive end...and maybe some of you are right...we don't have the players who are WILLING to play defense...that needs to be addressed.

And Polito, if the administration, whomever that might be, reacted to the days events as you do, the program would look like the TRUMP administration! With bodies flying around EVERY DAY.LOL I for one am willing to see this all play out over AT LEAST the next year...and let the new AD take stock in ALL the programs and make decisions that need to be made THEN...and I'll be willing to wager that is what he or she will do as its the prudent way to go
One question not being raised here is what do the PLAYERS want? If JWF were leaving this year, I'd be more inclined to try something new. But he'll be a senior as the reigning CAA POY. His second option should take another good step forward as a junior. If THEY and other key pieces like Buie, Ray or Stafford all love Joe and love the coach, and you bring someone else in that's new, who they don't like that much, and they don't take well to it in JWF's final year, would that complete derail what could be another year of legit contention? The wisest thing here is to see it through for one more year, mainly because you have the POY as a Senior and his No. 2 as a junior. If they fail again, then fine. You think about trying a new regime after the JWF era ends. But when a horse is in third-place, nearing the finish line, not that far back from the two horses in the lead, you don't suddenly change jockeys with a quarter-mile to go. Maybe try a new jockey and even a new horse in the following race if you lose, but you have to first finish out the current race as is.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

HUSID74 wrote:Why is everyone clamoring for Speedy when he IS ONE of the coaches you want out of here. What do you think he is doing every day in practice? How many of you guys have ACTUALLY BEEN TO A PRACTICE to see what is worked on and HOW the players respond to it.

If they work on defense in practice, it has never translated to the games. That's on the coach. If they are bringing in the type of players who don't give effort on defense, that's also on the coach. So either way, we can blame the coach. Sorry that sports is a results oriented business. That's what you sign up for when you become a coach. Produce results one way or the other, otherwise you need to take the heat.

Does the staff ever realize that even if they want to play a "fun" system where its uptempo, scoring in the 80's every game with no emphasis on D, they could still possibly try to recruit 1 guy who is a defensive stopper??? Is that possible??? This is another example of where they fall short. Sign a who is 6' 5 with no offensive skill set, but who can play the kind of man defense that can win Defensive Player of the Year... And then each game instead of allowing an opposing player to always have a career scoring night against us, we might be able to recognize this player early in the game, actually make an in-game adjustment, and put our defensive stopper on him. Is that asking for too much after 5 years?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Dooku25 wrote:

If they work on defense in practice, it has never translated to the games. That's on the coach. If they are bringing in the type of players who don't give effort on defense, that's also on the coach. So either way, we can blame the coach. Sorry that sports is a results oriented business. That's what you sign up for when you become a coach. Produce results one way or the other, otherwise you need to take the heat.

Does the staff ever realize that even if they want to play a "fun" system where its uptempo, scoring in the 80's every game with no emphasis on D, they could still possibly try to recruit 1 guy who is a defensive stopper??? Is that possible??? This is another example of where they fall short. Sign a who is 6' 5 with no offensive skill set, but who can play the kind of man defense that can win Defensive Player of the Year... And then each game instead of allowing an opposing player to always have a career scoring night against us, we might be able to recognize this player early in the game, actually make an in-game adjustment, and put our defensive stopper on him. Is that asking for too much after 5 years?
As Talley made shot after shot last night, I was actually thinking exactly what you said above, thinking of Nichols being hurt two years ago when HU might've won it all with him, and how last night, they could have used just one physical, defense-first, hustling type of player like him last night.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Wags wrote:

One question not being raised here is what do the PLAYERS want? If JWF were leaving this year, I'd be more inclined to try something new. But he'll be a senior as the reigning CAA POY. His second option should take another good step forward as a junior. If THEY and other key pieces like Buie, Ray or Stafford all love Joe and love the coach, and you bring someone else in that's new, who they don't like that much, and they don't take well to it in JWF's final year, would that complete derail what could be another year of legit contention? The wisest thing here is to see it through for one more year, mainly because you have the POY as a Senior and his No. 2 as a junior. If they fail again, then fine. You think about trying a new regime after the JWF era ends. But when a horse is in third-place, nearing the finish line, not that far back from the two horses in the lead, you don't suddenly change jockeys with a quarter-mile to go. Maybe try a new jockey and even a new horse in the following race if you lose, but you have to first finish out the current race as is.
Well said Wags...and all so true.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Obviously I have had about 20 hours to think about what transpired last night, and my feelings have cooled a bit, but have not changed.

I dont see anything happening with the staff this year. It just wouldn't be fair for the new AD to come in and have a crazy amount of change in his/her first year. I see them letting things play out a bit, and after our next athletic year, we can circle back to this thread if need be. I am sure the new AD will be having a lecture session with Joe on his "defensive" efforts.

Joe is just in a rut. If defense is being practiced, which I am sure it is, how come nothing has changed? Something has to give. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Last year, I remember Marquette coach, Chris Wojowhatever took away the rims, he said his team didn't deserve to shoot if they didn't defend the ball at all. If that team didn't deserve to shoot the ball after not playing defense, our squad this year didn't deserve to even THINK about a basketball. Our defense was putrid.

I would love to change conferences though. I just don't see us winning in the Colonial. These past 2 seasons in Charleston have stunk. I haven't missed a single tournament in the past 8 years maybe, prior to it moving to Charleston. Now, its impossible to plan. I would love to play in a tourney upstate, or somewhere in the tri-state, make a nice weekend out of it, and just hope for the best. That said, I don't want to change conferences because of my personal preference on weekending at the conference tourney, I just think that its a losing battle with us in the CAA. We have been on the cusp way to many times without success. Success at this point is nothing short of an NCAA Tournament game. When does this happen? I started at Hofstra in 02, so like my Jets, I haven't seen much.

Seeing that UNCW dickhead with the Hofstra sign last night poking fun at the attendance hit home. Man, that sucked to see. Also, why the heck did we take a train down for the tournament? Northeastern flew a day later. What a load of BS. That is so minor league. It's not like this weather was a secret. We should have flown out a day earlier. If you don't think you're going to win the tournament, lets not even show up. To transport the team on a 14 hour train ride is crap.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that good shooting guards have burned us all year. Does anyone remember the COC game when we had an 18 point lead in the first half and Riller and Chealey went berserk in the second half. How about the SG for Drexel Isabel putting up some sweet numbers against us or Zane Martin of Towson. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other SG's getting fat against us so who's responsible. Is anyone who posts here privy to what has gone on here over the course of this year in terms of remediating our poor defense. Who or better whom is responsible for this nightmare?? I like the fact that there's a lot of discussion here and pot stirring over this debacle of a game but sorry the loss had to precipitate all of these springboard conversations. We know that change is needed here but to what extent do we make changes? It's pretty clear that nothing will happen immediately or should happen with the nucleus of the team we have for next year. I just saw the mention of Iona playing the championship game once again and our alma mater eliminated once again in the first game. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth just having to think about it and the way we lose. While I'm not as radical as Polito I do want change here and this situation is crying out for it. IMO heads should roll and as passionate alumni we should let it be known that being just good is not good enough and they need to walk the walk after stating over and over again that their sole goal is to play for championships every year. How can you play for championships when you can't even win a game in the tourney? Enough is enough and we don't want to have to listen to lip service. You get paid to do a job so do it or lose it. It's as simple as that. I think they should give it to the end of next season and if we don't see this thru to fruition then wholesale changes have to be implemented!
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

Money talks. All you "passionate" fans come up with a $$$$$million or so per year and you can call the shots...otherwise it's like an old country song I remember, "Pissin in the Wind."
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

HUSID74 wrote:Money talks. All you "passionate" fans come up with a $$$$$million or so per year and you can call the shots...otherwise it's like an old country song I remember, "Pissin in the Wind."
If we can't afford to fly to these places, maybe they would be able to listen to my suggestion and play in a conference that is closer to home. Less flights, more money saved.

Money will come in once results start coming in. Monetarily speaking, more people would be willing to donate to a team that produces in March. Look at VCU. Richmond was a dump years ago, now the school looks phenomenal. The area is upgraded. They even sell out games. Wasn't like that forever. A winning product changed the culture. They made the jump to the A-10, and still had success in that conference.
Cards

Post by Cards »

triplec2195 wrote:It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that good shooting guards have burned us all year. Does anyone remember the COC game when we had an 18 point lead in the first half and Riller and Chealey went berserk in the second half. How about the SG for Drexel Isabel putting up some sweet numbers against us or Zane Martin of Towson. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other SG's getting fat against us so who's responsible. Is anyone who posts here privy to what has gone on here over the course of this year in terms of remediating our poor defense. Who or better whom is responsible for this nightmare?? I like the fact that there's a lot of discussion here and pot stirring over this debacle of a game but sorry the loss had to precipitate all of these springboard conversations. We know that change is needed here but to what extent do we make changes? It's pretty clear that nothing will happen immediately or should happen with the nucleus of the team we have for next year. I just saw the mention of Iona playing the championship game once again and our alma mater eliminated once again in the first game. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth just having to think about it and the way we lose. While I'm not as radical as Polito I do want change here and this situation is crying out for it. IMO heads should roll and as passionate alumni we should let it be known that being just good is not good enough and they need to walk the walk after stating over and over again that their sole goal is to play for championships every year. How can you play for championships when you can't even win a game in the tourney? Enough is enough and we don't want to have to listen to lip service. You get paid to do a job so do it or lose it. It's as simple as that. I think they should give it to the end of next season and if we don't see this thru to fruition then wholesale changes have to be implemented!
Another one of your many good posts triplec!
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:
HUSID74 wrote:Money talks. All you "passionate" fans come up with a $$$$$million or so per year and you can call the shots...otherwise it's like an old country song I remember, "Pissin in the Wind."
If we can't afford to fly to these places, maybe they would be able to listen to my suggestion and play in a conference that is closer to home. Less flights, more money saved.

Money will come in once results start coming in. Monetarily speaking, more people would be willing to donate to a team that produces in March. Look at VCU. Richmond was a dump years ago, now the school looks phenomenal. The area is upgraded. They even sell out games. Wasn't like that forever. A winning product changed the culture. They made the jump to the A-10, and still had success in that conference.
VCU (and Mason) made the jump to the A-10 after Final Four appearances.

What better conference is taking Hofstra or is Hofstra prepared to compete in without a single NCAA tournament win (and only four NCAAT appearances) since starting play in 1936?
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

e
Last edited by Hofstra on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Wags wrote:
Hofstra wrote:

VCU (and Mason) made the jump to the A-10 after Final Four appearances.

What better conference is taking Hofstra or is Hofstra prepared to compete in without a single NCAA tournament win (and only four NCAAT appearances) since starting play in 1936?
I don't want to go to a better conference per se. I want to go to a conference where we have a shot to win. I would love to be in the NEC or MAAC at this point. The CAA has no rivalries for us. I am just over it at this point. I would rather be in a spot where we can win. Winning is my main objective.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote: I don't want to go to a better conference per se. I want to go to a conference where we have a shot to win. I would love to be in the NEC or MAAC at this point. The CAA has no rivalries for us. I am just over it at this point. I would rather be in a spot where we can win. Winning is my main objective.
That place doesn't exist. Do you want them to go back down to the AE? They DO have a shot in the CAA. They had a GREAT shot two years ago, and in other years. They had a good, realistic shot this year. What would get them over the top wherever else you'd want them to go are the same qualities that would get them over the top in the CAA. It's not the league. It's THEM.
Hofstra

Post by Hofstra »

Than something has to be fixed. What can be done? What do you suggest?
Wags

Post by Wags »

Hofstra wrote:Than something has to be fixed. What can be done? What do you suggest?
PLAY DEFENSE. WORK ON FTs. But mostly... PLAY. DEFENSE.

Said it all season, but no one cared because they were winning 88-85. When that same style became a 93-88 loss in the quarters, everyone suddenly got outraged.

NU is up 14 right now. Talley has 6 pts on 2/9 shooting. HU split with NU, winning at NU this year, so is NU that much better?
NU has had a game plan to not allow Talley to go off like last night. HU's plan was to leave him and hope he'd miss.