CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: CAA Playoffs - Game 1 vs UNCW

Post by Cards »

I did not want to post last night totally out of emotion - kinda wanted to sleep on things.

I think it is time to clean house. Keep Speedy and that's it. Nothing personal - all about a solid winning program that represents HU. Decisions are made like this every day in the real world. Its all about positive results.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Thanks triplec, even before your report I refuse to listen to that crap, can't stomach another pitiful post-gamer after an inexcusable failure. They SHOULD be distraught, it's another brutal end. They have all worked their butts off, this crap stings like a mother.

And if I hear this staff 'talk' about playing for championships one more f'ing time I'm going to have a conniption. Stop talking about it after choking all the time, and start DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Friggin embarrassing.

Work ethic, passion, and love for HU has never been a question here.

Unfortunately it's painfully clear that JMs championship days are behind him folks. Sorry staff, your hearts are right, I meant what I said in my appreciation thread, but your ability is not. You had ample opportunity to prove otherwise - something has to change.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

stuball888 wrote:Well Z-man I have you beat. Guys I didnt watch the game tonite. Yesterday by sister-in-law was stuck in a blizzard in the Poconos. She stayed at a friends house. This morning she went home to find her house was on fire. She was able to rescue one cat but lost her other pets . Another cat and her birds perished in the fire. She lost everything except the clothes on her back. She is staying with her son in Yonkers then will move in with us after she meets with her insurance adjuster and the fire marshall. A year earlier her daughter my niece lost everything in a fire in Yonkers apartment fire. Now thats bad luck. Sorry guys but everything else pales in comparison.
Stu so sorry to hear about your sister's fire...that is terrible news. I hope things get sorted out quickly and she can resume her life soon...good thing you missed this game...this team seems destined to tease and break hearts...THIS WAS A REAL HEARTBREAKER...don't have much else to say at this time except that I'll have a much less stressful Monday night than I was planning on! Don't even think I can watch the games tonight...it might make me sick!
Mikey77

Post by Mikey77 »

Any talk of a CBI or CIT invite? And, if so, is Hofstra interested? In my view, any and all post-season play is beneficial to the program.
Polito

Post by Polito »

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Every single fan should VEHEMENTLY oppose them pulling any sort of bush league BS like that after this complete failure of a season. Especially just to allow Rok to 'break' Robinsons record in some cheap weak ass fashion.

All we hear about is money money money, and how the school dept and program are broke broke broke - spending a single vital DOLLAR on that crap would literally cause me to cease any and all support of this program.

NO. 100% NO. The season is OVER. They made their bed, now they should deal with it. And then DO SOMETHING to CHANGE it.

They wanna spend money and improve?? Here's an idea: Send the entire staff to learn from a defensive guru over the summer. Pay UVA whatever necessary to get them to agree to teach this staff how to coach and recruit DEFENSE. THAT is how you invest in a program. Improve this damn staff.

And please, let's not call these "invites". That's a farce. These are purely pay to play tourneys. NO THANKS.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Agree with above.

NCAA or NIT - nothing else worth it.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

Stu - so sorry about your family's losses - of course that puts everything in proper perspective. I'll make comments about D later
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thanks Z. Going up tomorrow morning to meet with the adjuster
The Shadow

Post by The Shadow »

I will state again, no CBI or CIT! If these tournaments are so great, why are the banners in the Mack Arena? Just go out and recruit some players for next year. Can any of the board posters even recall the terrible games HU has played in these tournaments and the money required to host a game?
Wags

Post by Wags »

The Shadow wrote:I will state again, no CBI or CIT! If these tournaments are so great, why are the banners in the Mack Arena? Just go out and recruit some players for next year. Can any of the board posters even recall the terrible games HU has played in these tournaments and the money required to host a game?
Actually, I do recall the 2010 CBI loss against IUPUI, when Pecora already had one foot out the door and coached like it. HU was down 13-0 and 21-2 and during that whole run, he just stood there stone-faced, without bothering to call a timeout as if he couldn't care less what the score was or how the game was going.

These tourneys shouldn't exist and if they disappeared overnight, I wouldn't miss them. But as long as they have them, I wouldn't mind seeing them play just because I like to watch Hofstra Basketball. And I'd like Rok to get the rebounding record. Years from now, the record books won't say he set the record in a CBI or CIT game, only that he's No. 1 and David Robinson in No. 2, and that would be a nice achievement for him and for the program.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

The Shadow wrote:I will state again, no CBI or CIT! If these tournaments are so great, why are the banners in the Mack Arena? Just go out and recruit some players for next year. Can any of the board posters even recall the terrible games HU has played in these tournaments and the money required to host a game?
I don't necessarily care if we play in one of those tournaments, but if the staff thinks there's an advantage for next season by playing in one, I have no problem with it.

But yeah, our performances in the CBI have been some of the worst I can remember watching.
triplec2195

Post by triplec2195 »

Wags wrote:
Actually, I do recall the 2010 CBI loss against IUPUI, when Pecora already had one foot out the door and coached like it. HU was down 13-0 and 21-2 and during that whole run, he just stood there stone-faced, without bothering to call a timeout as if he couldn't care less what the score was or how the game was going.

These tourneys shouldn't exist and if they disappeared overnight, I wouldn't miss them. But as long as they have them, I wouldn't mind seeing them play just because I like to watch Hofstra Basketball. And I'd like Rok to get the rebounding record. Years from now, the record books won't say he set the record in a CBI or CIT game, only that he's No. 1 and David Robinson in No. 2, and that would be a nice achievement for him and for the program.
Agree with you Wags I support anything that continues the season both for Rok and I would like to get at least 20 wins as superficial as it might sound. The money end is a factor but would always like to see at least one more game.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

They certainly have a good enough record so they will get an invite - whether they accept is another story
Wags

Post by Wags »

Not that it matters, or that I want to bring up additional painful memories on top of last night, but I was just wondering... which loss as a 3 seed, to a 6 seed, do you guys consider to be worse?

Last night or the "Playstation Layup" game when they were upset by George Mason?

Maybe it's because I"m older, jaded and used to it by now (or maybe because I think NU is on a path to win the whole thing anyway, or would have at least beaten HU tonight), but I personally didn't feel the same level of disgust and disappointment last night as with that Mason loss.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Thats like saying which is worse.Being hit in the head by a jealous boyfriend because you looked at his girl or being kicked in the nuts by you wife because you looked at another woman. Take your pick .
Wags

Post by Wags »

stuball888 wrote:Thats like saying which is worse.Being hit in the head by a jealous boyfriend because you looked at his girl or being kicked in the nuts by you wife because you looked at another woman. Take your pick .
Pretty much, lol. But, see? Even that's a choice. I'd take hit the hit to the head, I think (as long as it's not a fracture or concussion).

So then, Playstation layup game or last night? lol
Polito

Post by Polito »

I cannot believe that some of you would have no problem with this supposedly broke program in dire need of more support dollars spending money on a shit tourney. What the heck are we talking about here??

Absolutely not.

That is a ludicrous use of key funds that this program needs in other major areas. Those tourneys do absolutely nothing except cost money - and when HU loses the first game, again, it will be more embarrassment.

They BLEW it, end of story. This season is OVER.
Mike34

Post by Mike34 »

Polito wrote:ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Every single fan should VEHEMENTLY oppose them pulling any sort of bush league BS like that after this complete failure of a season. Especially just to allow Rok to 'break' Robinsons record in some cheap weak ass fashion.

All we hear about is money money money, and how the school dept and program are broke broke broke - spending a single vital DOLLAR on that crap would literally cause me to cease any and all support of this program.

NO. 100% NO. The season is OVER. They made their bed, now they should deal with it. And then DO SOMETHING to CHANGE it.

They wanna spend money and improve?? Here's an idea: Send the entire staff to learn from a defensive guru over the summer. Pay UVA whatever necessary to get them to agree to teach this staff how to coach and recruit DEFENSE. THAT is how you invest in a program. Improve this damn staff.

And please, let's not call these "invites". That's a farce. These are purely pay to play tourneys. NO THANKS.
Polito - couldn't agree with you more. No need to go into pitty tournaments to try to prove a point. That would just be completely pathetic.
Wags

Post by Wags »

Mike34 wrote:

Polito - couldn't agree with you more. No need to go into pitty tournaments to try to prove a point. That would just be completely pathetic.
Unless, of course, you look at the much bigger picture...

That pitty tournament gets Rok the all-time rebounding record which you can then use as a tool to lure the next great CAA rebounder, telling him that in your program, you had a player that broke the all-time conference rebounding mark of NBA Hall of Famer and 1992 Dream Team member David Robinson after that record stood for more than three decades.

In that case, the money you spend on a CBI or CIT pays for itself... especially if you learn from a past mistake and don't do what you did with Rok's pursuit of the record, and you instead actually put forth the effort and initiative to capitalize on something like that while it's happening, to ACTIVELY market it to the masses across the NYC area, to draw more fans.
HUSID74

Post by HUSID74 »

There you go again, "COMPLETE FAILURE OF A SEASON," Come on POLITO, there you go DEALING IN ABSOLUTES...Not everything is black and white you know. This team finished the season third, AHEAD of all predictions, had the damned CAA PLAYER OF THE YEAR, and won NEARLY 20 games...Are we DISAPPOINTED IN THE END? YES...BUT COMPLETE FAILURE???? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!