MBB Game 05 - @ USF - 11/25/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
ZMAN3

Re: MBB Game 05 - USF - 11/25/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

FT shooting hurt us again but Mihalich's lack of substitution down stretch killed us. Team just ran out of gas and Antigua going to small lineup changed game. Someone explain to me why Nichols isn't in game when we need a stop. He's arguably our best defender and in 2 consecutive games he's on bench and opposition scores inside. Got lucky vs SB when Nesmith hit game winning shot - not this time!
BringBackFootball

Post by BringBackFootball »

In the last 6 minutes Hofstra turned the ball over 5 times and missed 6 free throws
doug

Post by doug »

What a horrible loss for this team. This loss is on the team. As already stated, up double digits in the last few minutes and what do we do, we start turning the ball over and missing free throws (Missing free throws is a given with this team). For a period of about 3 minutes it looked like they forgot how to play basketball. That's a shame because they played such a good game for the other 37 minutes. I am so frustrated with this loss. I can't imagine how the players feel right now. On to the next game.
3r20

Post by 3r20 »

gotta love the hate :lol:

Have you guys watched HU Bball the last 3 years. Hey I want to win, but this is what you have been waiting for. Great EXCITING BBall. The wins will come..Lets enjoy the ride.

cant wait for you to start calling for Joe's Job. Hey..Tommy God will be available at the end of the season (if not sooner)
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

Nice to see Tom Pecora on the sidelines again tonight, what a shit coaching job.

USF sucks, that team couldn't get out of its own way, and we squander a fifteen point lead because the head coach decides to not make a substitution down the stretch. Inexcusable.

Mistake after mistake, I wonder why the hell they would bring Perry in the game after you flash man to man. Oh that's right, we have no answer inside and 6-0 Nesmith gets matched up with 6-8 Perry for the easy layup. Just another gaffe in the cavalcade of errors the coaching staff made down the stretch.

Game 5 or 35, you cannot make the mental errors this team made tonight. It's an embarrassment to fly all the way down to Tampa to throw away a game like that. We have depth this year, get Robinson in the game, get Nichols in the game, we don't need Green and Tanksley going 40 every night.

Don't get me wrong, this game is not big in terms of our overall record, but it's just a flat out poor coaching job and it allows the doubt to creep into your mind throughout the season that you do not have the mental toughness to win a game against a more physically talented squad, or a big game on the road.
doug

Post by doug »

Haven't missed a home game in about 10 years and make several away games every year. Not hating. Feeling frustrated for this team. But the reality is, they threw this one away. Hope Mahalich is our coach for the next 10 years.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

3r20 wrote:gotta love the hate :lol:

Have you guys watched HU Bball the last 3 years. Hey I want to win, but this is what you have been waiting for. Great EXCITING BBall. The wins will come..Lets enjoy the ride.

cant wait for you to start calling for Joe's Job. Hey..Tommy God will be available at the end of the season (if not sooner)
Haha who is this poster posing as 3r20?

You're right, but why does there always have to be some stipulation with Hofstra Basketball that you're just going to end up disappointed at the end of the day? I feel like my ex-girlfriends right now.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

First of all, nobody should be knocking the coaching right now. This guy has already turned a disaster of program around in 1+ years. This team has played only 5 games together and has already shown flashes of greatness. Are we blaming Joe for the 6 missed free throws in the clutch? Or the 5 bad turnovers? He had the right guys on the floor. Maybe Nichols and Robinson should have been out there more earlier in the game to give Green and co some rest. But in crunch time I want green, Bernardi, nesmith Tanksley and gustys out there. They buckled tonight under pressure. Maybe it was fatigue. This was their 3rd game in 5 days. That's alot of basketball. But still I can't believe it took only 3 minutes to ruin a great 37 minute display. I'm optimistic by March this team will be mature enough to win big games. As bad a loss as this was, this program has arrived. I think it can do special things as soon as this season.
ZMAN3

Post by ZMAN3 »

On the last defensive possessions Nichols should replace one of the guards to help against entry pass into post on high screen and roll - his length is critical. Almost beaten by SB and lose to USF on essentially the same play. You can recruit all you want but end game strategy such as substitutions all about coaching - on that end I'm not impressed.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

It's also hard to win games when the other team ends up shooting over 50% and you have 3 turnovers in 49 seconds towards the end of the game… Green was only 2-11 from the field, he should not have been the one to take the last shot.

On a different note, when was the last time Hofstra had a true OOC road win? Hopefully they can pull it together and beat Jackson St. on Friday...
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Up by ~10 with under 7 minutes to play, too many possessions had Hofstra taking a shot less than 10 seconds into the possession. Need to work that clock, especially when you're trying to play upset ball. Don't leave them the time to come back.
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Thought the second half was poorly coached. So many quick possessions in the second half with a pretty big lead, and lucky they weren't playing a better shooting team because usf had an open look, often from three, just about every time down the floor. They finally make an adjustment and go to man to man late when it gets close, yet Antigua in his fifth game calls time out and subs. Mihalich leaves in the small lineup and they get a mismatch and easy basket. The guy has turned around the program in a short time, but that does not mean he didn't do a poor job of in game coaching last night.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

USF shot 52% from the field. They hit their last SEVEN shots including two long 3 pointers. Thats pretty hot shooting to me. If USF didn't catch fire or like I previously stated, we make a few of the 6 pressure free throws, or don't turn the ball over with regularity in the final minutes, it's an easy W. Nobody would be complaining about the coaching. Everyone would be celebrating a solid win. The "talent" crapped the bed for whatever reason (pressure, fatigue etc)
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

When USF went to a small lineup, they didn't have an answer defensively, USF got easy shots, and Hofstra gave them plenty with quick possessions on the offensive end. When Hofstra finally switched to man to man, USF substituted size, Hofstra left in the small lineup, and USF got a mismatch and an easy shot. Antigua coached circles around Mihalich yesterday. The team didn't play well either down the stretch with all the missed free throws, but the coaching staff did a poor job of putting them in a position to seal the win. I realize the team is a run and gun team and has recruited players for that kind of system, but they also need to be able to adjust to close out games.
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

32 minutes into the game Antigua was down 57-42, what a great coach. It's amazing how when your team hits a few shots in a row and has the good fortune of opponent's missing free throws and getting unforced turnovers, you suddenly become a great coach. You suddenly coach circles around your opponent. I don't think so. He outcoached him on the final possession ok I'll give you that. It also should have NEVER came to that. The players play the game, and the players lost the game all by themselves in the final minutes. Maybe JAM should dribble, pass and shoot the free throws for them next time.
3r20

Post by 3r20 »

haven't laughed so hard since I used silly putty on the sunday comics around 45 years ago.

Cactus - "Bad coaching second half"...... when we extended six point lead to a 15 point lead. Mihalich should be fired for that. :idea:

How many times did we have a 15 point lead against top level competition in the past 10 years.

guy hits an NBA three to take the lead. should have fouled the young big one once the ball got inside. lets see him make two freebies with 7 seconds left on the clock.

still..haven't heard anyone respond to fact had two guys WIDE open on last shot and green drove to never never land. That is not coaches fault.

Not getting at large bid..need to win CAA. 3r20 happy to watch EXCITING Bball and kids playing hard and getting wright kind of steals.

Where is Gen Hoffenrivals when you need him
cactus
Site Admin

Post by cactus »

Dooku25 wrote:32 minutes into the game Antigua was down 57-42, what a great coach.
After which he figured out how to beat Hofstra's zone by switching to a smaller lineup with better spacing, and his team got open shot after open shot.

3r20 wrote:haven't laughed so hard since I used silly putty on the sunday comics around 45 years ago.

Cactus - "Bad coaching second half"...... when we extended six point lead to a 15 point lead. Mihalich should be fired for that.
They extended a 6 point lead to a 1 point loss in the second half. Let's not cherry pick, because it went 12 in the last 3+ minutes the other way.

Exciting basketball is great, Mihalich should not be fired. He has done a great job overall especially when you consider where the program was. Doesn't mean he's perfect and above any criticism. He still did a poor job after Antigua switched to a smaller lineup.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Apparently the NY Post sent a reporter to Florida to cover the game:

http://nypost.com/2014/11/25/hofstra-bl ... h-florida/
HUSID80

Re: MBB Game 05 - @ USF - 11/25/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Post by HUSID80 »

Zach was down to cover hockey but it's more than our wonderful local paper would do...theyre too busy fawning over Stony Brook...right Jerry?
bobe13

Re: MBB Game 05 - @ USF - 11/25/14, 7 PM on ESPN3

Post by bobe13 »

Hopefully we will learn from this and it will make us stronger