Women's Soccer 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: Women's Soccer 2016

Post by stuball888 »

Here is the way I see it. This team is weak defensively. The goalies save percentage with out looking is probably the worst in the CAA. Also teams are getting too many shots on goal against us. Our shooting percentage on goal is not very good so while we get shots many are not on goal. In a nutshell we are being out scored. captain obvious has spoken.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Men's soccer is receiving 11 votes in the top 25 poll.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Well deserved
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Men move to 6-0 in conference play after being Drexel 4-1 tonight. Drexel's goal was scored towards the end of the game was pretty every Hofstra player was substituted for a bench player.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

In case anyone missed it, last place Hofstra upset first place Northeastern last night. Team looked completely different last night. Mehring had some incredible saves in the second half.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Hofstra beats a first place team for the second game in a row, this time upending JM-Who 4-1. The Dukes came into this game tied for first with Northeastern. Wish we had this kind of effort all conference season.

And fantastic effort by the men against the #1 team in the country, Maryland with a narrow 2-1 loss. HU actually out-shot the Terps 10-6, and 6-3 with shots on goal.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Interesting development with one of our top players, Noriana Radwan. She transferred to Hofstra from Uconn, which i was always aware of, but i never knew why. i live in Connecticut, so I follow a lot of the local sports writers on social media, and came across something interesting today. Turns out she was suspended at Uconn for giving the middle finger after the team won a game, and eventually her scholarship was pulled late in the season. She is now suing Uconn. husky fans have some interesting thoughts on this.

https://twitter.com/jacobscourant/statu ... 5424462848
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/wsoc-on ... ted.67395/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

This is a big enough deal that ESPN picked up the story this morning. News conference set for today. Hofstra is mentioned in the article.
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor ... -dismissal
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Does anybody know if this is the most national media attention for Hofstra athletics since the four theives in 2012-2013?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Evan, why would you even compare the two incidents?
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

Couldn't agree more Jojogunne. These two are not even on same stratosphere in terms of severity and this latest one impacts UConn far more than us as far as negative media attention goes.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

Jojogunne wrote:Evan, why would you even compare the two incidents?
Agreed.

But the question was she the only athlete that could play soccer for Hofstra? Of course, Hathaway and the President knew about Noriana Radwan. There are plenty of athletes and non-athletes who are more worthy of a scholarship at Hofstra than Ms. Radwan. Everyone deserves a second chance but it is my opinion that her conduct even with her apology -- she does not belong playing soccer on a scholarship at Hofstra or anywhere else.

Actions have consequences. Hofstra decided that Ms. Radwan's behavior in the past is worthy of several thousands of dollars a year. You mean Hofstra could not find anyone else to play? Hathaway was at UConn as AD for years.
Hathaway and the President own this.

It is not good publicity for the University either way.

Ms. Radwan should have thought about her dream before she did what she did.

Pay for your education: earn an academic scholarship or athletic scholarship and act like an adult that is worthy of the money at your college or university or work for it or take out loans or a work out a combination like everyone else does to pursue their dreams.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

I disagree Hofstrahall. It was not a smart move by her but certainly doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a chance to play college soccer and if she has talent and is willing to learn from her mistake I have no problem at all giving her a chance. Look at Halil Kanacevic a few years ago for St. Joe's doing exact same thing to the crowd and he only got suspended one game! This doesn't rise anywhere near the level of what other college athletes have done over the years.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

HofstraPride1 wrote:I disagree Hofstrahall. It was not a smart move by her but certainly doesn't mean she doesn't deserve a chance to play college soccer and if she has talent and is willing to learn from her mistake I have no problem at all giving her a chance. Look at Halil Kanacevic a few years ago for St. Joe's doing exact same thing to the crowd and he only got suspended one game! This doesn't rise anywhere near the level of what other college athletes have done over the years.
If you are talking a double standard existsing - that is a different story. Yeah everyone deserves a second chance. But was she the only available option? She is playing soccer at Hofstra and gets compensated for it. Halil did not deserve to keep his scholarship. They can play - let them pay for it on their own and not on a University's dime. If their conduct happened in the workplace, they would be fired. Different standards exist obviously at universities. Tell that to all the athletes who do not get scholarships at all. She can play - let her pay for it.

Let her lawsuit proceed and see what happens.
HofstraPride1

Post by HofstraPride1 »

For whatever it is worth she is only on partial athletic scholarship at Hofstra and not full. Am not sure what it was at UConn, but either way is more money for her and family to pay since Hofstra is more expensive as a private school.
hofstrahall

Post by hofstrahall »

HofstraPride1 wrote:For whatever it is worth she is only on partial athletic scholarship at Hofstra and not full. Am not sure what it was at UConn, but either way is more money for her and family to pay since Hofstra is more expensive as a private school.

It is immaterial. Hofstra compensates her in the form of a scholarship - partial or full. She does not deserve a penny. She can get a second chance - pay for her education and play. Tell that to the worthy athlete that acts like an adult and does not get a penny and cannot play while Ms. Radwan has a second University - Hofstra compensates Ms. Radwan.
Tell that to all the worthy scholarship students and athletes at Hofstra. Ms. Radwan gets University money from the endowment and/or donors while other students get nothing or less.

Let's see how the lawsuit proceeds.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Jojogunne wrote: Evan, why would you even compare the two incidents?
I wasn't trying to compare the severity. I was just saying that Hofstra athletics rarely gets national media attention good or bad, and this could be the most attention since the four thieves. Unfortunately, Hofstra gets attention for things like those two incidents and the Men's Basketball coach (I forgot his name) who was hired but then fired for driving drunk before coaching a game.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Radwan was on Good Morning America today. There's an article and video in the tweet.
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/811553611159195650

Here's an interesting article from the Hartford Courant about it. http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-hus ... story.html