MBB OOC Schedule 14-15

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Cards

Re: MBB OOC Schedule 14-15

Post by Cards »

Anyone hear anything about the "secret scrimmage" at St. Joe's on Saturday?? Any flies on the wall??
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just looking at the 2013 RPIs and SI preseason rankings that Jojo posted (thanks by the way for posting them). Seems to me that even with a very good record (especailly early on) it will be unlikely that HU would get a decent PRI ranking. Too many teams on our schedule we will be expected to easily handle. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, as I like us to be winning and building confidence and team play. That being said, for us to crack the top 100 RPI, I think we will need to really post a great record.

Any thoughts??
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Cards wrote:Anyone hear anything about the "secret scrimmage" at St. Joe's on Saturday?? Any flies on the wall??

Heard we played well...a little rough around the edges, turnovers and fouls but I heard that
we won more "halfs" than St Joes did.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

RPI will definitely be brutal. Need a few teams to overachieve. But RPI doesn't really matter. Nobody is getting an at-large out of this league unless you're putting up a 25 win season, which I don't see happening. Might help a little for the NIT, but that's about it.
Polito

Post by Polito »

this sched is built for 2 things:

get the program back into the Win column
ready the team for the CAA tourney

This team/staff wants to win the CAA, period. That's the feeling I get from every angle.

Would I be disappointed with the CIT/CBI? Yes, a bit - but honestly at this point, just want to see HU playing quality winning exciting basketball as long as they can each year

However, I don't see that happening - if all holds up, HU has the depth and talent to make it to the CAA champ game, and even win it all.

I also think a couple of those teams on will end up a bit better than projected, particularly South Florida

Good to hear on the St Joes scrimmage - they're a young team, will likely be mid-pack A10, so actually what I was hoping/half expecting to hear - should have solid reports against PSU as well, although they have a real nice talent in DJ Newbill - will be curious to hear how he's defended
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

HofstraHockey wrote: RPI will definitely be brutal. Need a few teams to overachieve. But RPI doesn't really matter. Nobody is getting an at-large out of this league unless you're putting up a 25 win season, which I don't see happening. Might help a little for the NIT, but that's about it.
It could take more like 27 wins to get an at-large bid. Hofstra was 24-6 on Selection Sunday in 2006 when they got snubbed.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

I noticed that the NC State and USF games are on ESPN3.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

Jojogunne wrote:I noticed that the NC State and USF games are on ESPN3.
Maybe Mo will do the games
Polito

Post by Polito »

What I'm looking for record-wise this yr, and why:

By my count HU lost *12* games by just 10pts or less last season, most of them IN CONF - another 2-3 by less than 12 - team was very rarely blown out, even though realistically should have (testament to great coaching with bare cupboard) - with just a bit more firepower and/or some tighter D (i.e. TALENT/DEPTH), that would be a HUGE swing in the record, which was 10-23, 5-11 CAA

if HU converts just half of those, 6, and just 4 in conf that's 16-17 overall and 9-7 in CAA - big diff - last yrs CAA is def tougher than this yrs, so I'm looking for about 18-15 overall 11-5 in conf - anything more is absolute gravy to me in yr 2 of JM - I think they may split a few series with the top of the league, but they have the depth to battle for the tourney crown once they get to Baltimore
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Still stand by my 18 to 22 wins this year.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Anyone hear anything about the "secret" scrimmage at Penn St. today?
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

Cards wrote: If we dont get an NCAA bid, i would hope we are considered (and elegible) for an NIT bid. I recall being at the Nebraska game and the Depaul game (and others) at the Mack and they were awesome experiences.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2007/03/ ... -depaul-83

The DePaul NIT game was at DePaul. Did you mean the Old Dominion NIT game?
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

EvanJ wrote:
Cards wrote: If we dont get an NCAA bid, i would hope we are considered (and elegible) for an NIT bid. I recall being at the Nebraska game and the Depaul game (and others) at the Mack and they were awesome experiences.
http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2007/03/ ... -depaul-83

The DePaul NIT game was at DePaul. Did you mean the Old Dominion NIT game?
Didn't we host Nebraska in an NIT game?

If we win the conference, but lose in the CAA playoffs, we would qualify for the NIT automatically.
Cards

Post by Cards »

Yes, my mistake, it was Old Dominion. The old Stokes, Rivera, Agudio days Wasnt that the year that for a while HU had the highest scoring backcourt (3 gaurd offense) in the nation. I don't think they finished the year at the top, but I think they had that distinction for a while.

yes jojo, we did host Nebraska. The Mack was rockin that day!
Polito

Post by Polito »

bumping up the question, any inside info on the PSU scrimmage??
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Politos shortest post of the year. Cmon I want to complete my fall reading.
Polito

Post by Polito »

lol Stu my man if you were quicker on the uptake I wouldn't have to detail things so well :ugeek:

alas, to assist you in the long run, my efforts to simplify continue this season 8-)

sifted through some PSU basketball forums, some questions on the secret scrimmage, but no answers/feedback there either - would really love to get SOME kind of insight heading into the home opener!! Almost time folks!
doug

Post by doug »

Thanks for looking Polito. I guess they are secret sometimes.