MBB recruits 2015

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
stuball888

Re: MBB recruits 2015

Post by stuball888 »

SBU is favored to win the AE but if recent history is a measuring stick, they will wet the bed during the AE tourney. Agree about Syracuse. In fact I think we have only played them once in our history. Lets make the NCAA tourney before we start making comments that we are taking over NY state as the premier basketball. I know the future looks bright but basketball games are won on the court not on paper.
doug

Post by doug »

I don't think it was any of us or "we" that said we are taking over college basketball in New York state, I believe it was the NY Post that suggested that. I believe we are reasonable and know that this team has to gel on the court before we can make any claims. I just enjoy reading about somebody else suggesting it.
HofstraHockey

Post by HofstraHockey »

Hofstra went to Syracuse twice in the TP days. I made the trip both times. In 2004 they played a great game. Cuse was #7, Hofstra was 9-0 at the time. Hofstra lead most of the way, but Syracuse had a late run to take the lead. Hakim Warrick was an absolute monster that game though, and Hofstra had no answer for him. Had a bunch of dunks with a foul shot to boot! and that was what put them over the edge in the end. Was an amazing game though. 2006 they got smoked- it was basically Stokes and Agudio and nobody else doing anything. Think they lost by 20+
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

We also played in Syracuse for their tournament, the Carrier Classic. Don't remember if we played Syracuse but we and they were in the field.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Speedy is great addition to this staff. What Assistant Coach could offer more credibility to a NYC kid who wants to go to a school, play and maybe go the next level then one that walked in those shoes.
Polito

Post by Polito »

SU couldn't give a rip about this article or any other team in NY, they are 'Cuse lol - a legit national title contender EVERY yr

however, every other NY team prob won't enjoy it as much as we do, and that's A-Ok by me! This article is AWESOME! Love it

and yes, we all know HU still has to prove it all on the court, but quite frankly, considering all the crap endured the last few yrs this program and the fan base should certainly be able to enjoy some much needed positive

the SBU comment was fantastic LOL
Polito

Post by Polito »

as for recruiting, with the 2 'ships left, I think HU should bide their time and utilize the projected success of this season - if it turns out as hoped, that could provide a major boost and help them to land 2 absolute studs, Wing and PF would be desired IMO - if it's an NCAA yr they could have a real shot to pull a 4* or big time transfer

if not, they continue recruiting as they've been, which is quite strong considering the lack of success on the court so far...

nothing to lose really by being patient, and everything to gain.

(and yes agreed, Speedy a HUGE factor for HU)
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito is right bide their time be patient and go for a wing or big man. The pipeline is full of current talent and flowing with prospects. JAM has done more in a shorter time to redirect this program then I could've hoped for. I am really excited for this season, to for the program going forward. I am also glad to be back here and part of the banter.
Cards

Post by Cards »

I agree 100% guys. No reason to rush to get anyone unless they are impact players. We already have a solid team for 2015/2016. Any additions now should only be for additional upgrades - which given the talent already on board, the addition would have to be a real stud.
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Excellent Get! Was worried a bit at first Manhattan was the favorite.

Coaching staff is building a very good squad for now and in the future.
Cards

Post by Cards »

So what is going on with Traci Carter? A while back someone stated that he was on campus for a visit. I don't see anything that indicates we ever offered him. Are we no longer interested because of JWF and DB (although I would find it hard to think we would turn away a 4 star recruit). Maybe following his visit he said he has no interest. Anyone have any updates?
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yeah, it's been tough to find updates on his status, plans, etc. No idea how the visit even went (or any other visit for that matter)

I do know UT landed a major 4* SG in Chris Clarke, so that could very well play a factor as from what I can tell the Vols were a top contender for Carter... may still be, perhaps he views that signing as a plus for him (super backcourt mate)... or he may view that as potentially taking PT from him... or UT may say we don't really need anymore guards now

it really is tough to tell with him

I think a lot of programs are taking a 'wait and see' approach in regards to his injury - I think big programs want to see if he's still got it long term, and may likely wait until spring to offer - he may also feel the same and wait till then to see his options before deciding

prob won't know much on him till then...
Cards

Post by Cards »

Just noticed that Northearstern is stocking up on big man talent for next year. Two 6-11 PFs both of which are 3* recruits. Also another 6-9 guy (2*). Seems like they are one the same path as Hofstra - really trying to have an impact team and bright future.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Coen is a very good coach and recruiter IMO - he has built NE into a very nice program - I see them and HU similar in some respects - the games this yr should be a battle, and could be a battle for the CAA crown

The value of a high quality coaching staff cannot be overstated - both of these staffs are recruiting, scheduling, and coaching up potential - when you do that it's just a matter of time until the results are seen on the floor
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Nice to see the northern schools finally in the top tier of the CAA.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Tomorrow is National Letter of Intent Day. Will there be any surprise signings?
doug

Post by doug »

You're right JoJo. I forgot all about it. It came up real fast. We could very well see a surprise signing. The sites such as Verbal Commits do not have all of the information. I'm not saying this because I know something, because I don't. You just never know though.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Saw on twitter somewhere that Buie will sign his LOI on Friday alongside teammate Govan (Georgetown)

Not sure about Foreman, perhaps same day?

one of the best benefits of these 2 local products is that they are and will continue to provide HU with some great local press - I expect this to only increase as their seasons take shape - both are top 10 caliber teams, and both players should have very big yrs
DMV Dutch

Post by DMV Dutch »

Per Alex Kline: SF Elijah Cain has de-committed from Delaware and now list Hofstra as Medium Interest from VC.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/elijah-cain
Polito

Post by Polito »

Oh really....

INTERESTING !