MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Captain

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Captain »

I don't think HU will ever have 13 active players. There will always be redshirts whether transfers or freshmen redshirts. 13 players is a waste since rotations tend to be short. I know the last few tears we have been ridiculously thin on the bench, but don't expect more than 11 active players at once I believe otherwise you will have unhappy players with their lack of playing time.
garyg

Post by garyg »

11 active players is sufficient and maybe use the other two scholarships for redshirts/transfers
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I think Joe will get 2 more players and hold one scholarship for someone who may come along late who would be a real find or another Denton Koon type.

We can certainly do fine with 11 active/eligible players... although all things considered we were pretty lucky last year with injuries, illnesses, etc.

We were one of only a handful of schools to have the same starting lineup for EVERY game.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

11 is fine as long as the injury bug doesnt bite. just two injuries and we are back to 9 active players. I would like one more. We have schlorships every year so we can always replenish the roster but I dont want us to be caught short again. How do other schools do it. Pretty simple, just give a "walk-on" a need based schlorship as insurance. I wonder if Flemming got some sort of assistance from UNCW during this past year.
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

I think we are shaping into a pretty solid roster for next season. We could use an athletic 3/4 long, wing type, but at this point I don't think we have glaring holes...I would take quality where ever available.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I would love to see us stage a campus wide search for the "14th man" a walk-on.... great for student interest and involvement...... would be fun...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

I wonder if jeff Fox has an eligibilty left.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

garyg wrote:Pemberton looked great on CBS...Not only with his basketball skills but he comes across as a real classy kid...getting back to Justin Simon he played at Brewster Academy the year before he began college
If Simon does come here, he will be the second player (to my knowledge) to transfer from UA to Hofstra. Does anyone know who the first was?
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

That's easy- Irving
garyg

Post by garyg »

Maybe Irving could put a good word in for us...LOL
bobe13

Post by bobe13 »

garyg wrote:Maybe Irving could put a good word in for us...LOL
I read he passed away earlier this year
garyg

Post by garyg »

I did not know
joeg1

Post by joeg1 »

daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

stuball888 wrote:11 is fine as long as the injury bug doesnt bite. just two injuries and we are back to 9 active players. I would like one more. We have schlorships every year so we can always replenish the roster but I dont want us to be caught short again. How do other schools do it. Pretty simple, just give a "walk-on" a need based schlorship as insurance. I wonder if Flemming got some sort of assistance from UNCW during this past year.
11 is fine - and especially the way JAM uses his bench - I know he had to rely on his key upperclassman, but I get the feeling that he goes with a shorter bench then most other coaches - I am not sure I a true Freshman is going to come here, like AW, and just sit for 2-3 years - so a key Freshman/JUCO and Graduated Seniors are going to come knowing they are going to compete for major minutes under JAM - anyone ever think that JR by Redshirting could consider leaving here as a graduated Senior after next season???
HofstraFan101

Post by HofstraFan101 »

Emile Blackman from Niagra will be graduating and transferring. Played at LIU Post and Half Hollow
Hills before Niagra. Averaged 16 per game last season. 6-4 guard/forward. Very athletic. Not sure he fills any need but would be a good player to have for depth. Not sure he'd want to come here as he'd have a good amount of competiton for minutes
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

joeg1 wrote:That's easy- Irving
And for providing the correct answer, joeg1 wins ... another T-shirt!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

John Irving was a starter with Arizona as a freshman, part of the acclaimed "Kiddie Korps" crew that was very successful. Maybe Simon should know about John as he had a great career at Hofstra, winning the national rebounding crown in '76 and just missing out to Glenn Mosley of Seton Hall as a senior the next year...RIP John
Polito

Post by Polito »

Brandon Kamga, a one-time HU recruit, is leaving Northeastern - only a freshman - seemed like a talented guy, 6'4 SG/WG, had a ton of mid offers...

from VA, perhaps home sick, or maybe didn't translate well to this level? Not sure if he's allowed to transfer in-conf, but if so wonder if HU or others would get back in the fold
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

Polito wrote:Brandon Kamga, a one-time HU recruit, is leaving Northeastern - only a freshman - seemed like a talented guy, 6'4 SG/WG, had a ton of mid offers...

from VA, perhaps home sick, or maybe didn't translate well to this level? Not sure if he's allowed to transfer in-conf, but if so wonder if HU or others would get back in the fold
My understanding is that there is a CAA transfer rule - that requires a player to sit for 2 years if they are transferring within the conference - don't quote me as I did not research it but was told that by a reliable source
Polito

Post by Polito »

Interesting, could be...

Juwan Gray is taking an official to San Diego this weekend - they seem to be pushing hard for him

HU needs to roll out the total red carpet for Ford on the 8th - should be #1 priority right now - big time future in the blue and gold for that young man!!

Justin Simon is the obvious other TOP target, but he's a redshirt guy for next year - still have to focus on completing this vital class - very curious who they're looking at on the grad transfer market - there are a lot of talented immediately eligible players becoming available, many that can make an impact

I'm feeling like HU is looking to bring another PG/SG/CG in addition to a top wing-forward - just seems that way - have heard nothing on the PF front, maybe Walker definite to stay on board and they feel that's enough for bigs - although HU may be attacking under-cover on a few guys, so who knows