MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Dooku25

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Dooku25 »

Here's a more recent article from Colorado St writer, they were also recruiting him. Biggest thing that made me smile from this article is that this guy loves to play defense. We need more of that!

https://coloradostate.n.rivals.com/news ... -csu-visit
garyg

Post by garyg »

Hopefully he keeps working hard to rehab the leg before next season begins...according to articles that have been posted he still has a ways to go
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Looking at some video of him he reminds me a lot of Ameen. Very aggressive in the paint and physical. Loves to drive, lengthy and can shoot from long range twos or threes. If he can play defense he probably instantly becomes one of the top 3-5 players on the team. Terrific pickup.
Polito

Post by Polito »

BOOM - I'm right here fellas! Sorry for the delay, busy holiday weekend - Happy Easter to all! 8-)

FANTASTIC get - WELCOME GREER!! Have posted a bit on him before, but this is a very talented young man, and a perfect fit for HU and next yrs squad - consensus 3 star, ranked at his position, offer list prior to the shooting was Illinois, Providence, Depaul, Auburn, Illinois St, Bradley, and others - a legit Chicago star - offers today have been noted I think: CSU, FGCU, Evansville, Detroit, GSU, and interest from George Mason, Iona, and others

there were concerns over his ability to rebound to the same level as before, hence the difference in offers, but he's worked his butt off at Daytona State, tons of rehab, pool work, etc., and most believe he's just about there - prob 90% - has been noted that when he's back to 100 the sky is the limit - and those offers and interest are still Missouri Valley, Mountain West, Horizon, A10, etc.

put up 8+pts and 5+rebounds per game last yr, a major rehab year for him in terms of real PT, elevated to 12+points and 7+rebounds per this year, and that's on a very good JUCO 25-7 team that was getting votes for the JUCO top 25

played in every single game (endurance), can play or GUARD any spot 1-4, and is just a full-hearted young man - has overcome tremendous obstacles, built himself into a good student and qualifier, and is very driven to prove his worth - his injury forced him to expand his game, has developed a jump shot, moves in the paint, and can still slash to the hoop, attack the rim, and shoot the 3 - was a pure athletic freak before the shooting, now he's a full player

continues a great FL connection for HU, and brings in a very nice Chicago area tie-in - this young man WILL get coverage there during his time at HU, which is obviously great for future recruiting - he should flourish in JM's system

Now, next up, I'm looking for a big get from either Ford or Gray - HU must-have 1 more ready to play wing, and those 2 are at the top of my list - feel real good about Ford, Wofford (his other recent visit, unofficial) just took a solid HS wing-forward of exactly the same mode - I'm liking HU's chances with the official visit a LOT

Gray has landed a few more mid offers as the SPI program is starting to blow up on the recruiting trail - some big players there garnering big attention - Ford and Gray play the same spot, but slightly different games, Ford more on the 'smooth' side with Gray more on the 'explosive' side - both bringing 4 yrs - will GLADLY take either, and believe that HU needs to

Also, I'd like to see a PF and a PG to come in with the plan to redshirt unless absolutely needed - want 2 studs in those spots with a year to incubate, and then ready to hit the floor running - love the PG that wants to visit, or Cahiem Brown that EP was promoting - wondering if Junior Saintel can satisfy PF spot, or if they have another trick up their sleeves for that... :)

Team got big time better today for next season, let's keep it going!!!

Pic of Greer at HU:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDdhrzzvf6f ... by=swagair
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

UALR's head coach just got hired by UNLV...wonder if Che Bob comes back onto the market.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Joe Lopez from Broward CC has committed to Sacred Heart. He is off the board. Actually I doubt he was ever on the board. Next up is a wing then a PF for depth up front and Hold the next scholly for a point guard next year.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

I agree w Polito...one more talented athletic wing, preferably a freshman and another tall athletic guard and we should be set...hold back one ship for a transfer...or immediately eligible senior
garyg

Post by garyg »

I say get another athletic wing..a big guy that can play the 4...and hold on to the 13th scholarship for transfer
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:I say get another athletic wing..a big guy that can play the 4...and hold on to the 13th scholarship for transfer
We have another guy who can play the 4...his name is Hunter Safety and Joe is very high on him
garyg

Post by garyg »

Do you think Hunter can play alongside Rokas? If so that would be great!! Hopefully Walker returns and backs up Rokas at the 5...Still could use backup at the 4....you mentioned the need for a tall guard but we already have 5 guards on next years roster
Polito

Post by Polito »

I'm def paying attention to the coaching changes as they pick up pace... Beard to UNLV after 1 successful mid-major run at UALR surprised me a bit - would think Che Bob has to at least re-evaluate, and HU was a finalist for him - he's not the 4 spot wing-forward needed, but def an impact CG

Vandy could go after Keatts or VCU's Wade - Keatts is a hot name now, too young and talented to stay long, if not Vandy, he's still gone within the next yr or 2 IMO - heck if Wade goes to Vandy, VCU may grab Keatts, VA guy, and would be a stellar fit for both sides

HU must land 1 more playmaking 6'7-6'8 wing-forward - Walker may have become a bit out of reach, recent Georgetown offer - not sure where HU stands with Harris and McManus, but haven't heard/read much - don't think HU has offered Diatta at this point, so to me, it's Ford and Gray as the top 2 targets to fill that role, with Saintel as a solid 3rd option

Would love to see them bring in a PF and a PG/CG in this class to finish it out - If they choose to hold a scholly I would say get the G now, if he's young RS a year, and hold the other for an impact transfer PF

One possibility is land Ford and then leverage that Georgia connection (his HS yrs) to land the PG Augustine who wants to visit HU, also from GA - that is a big time mid major class right there, and still would have 1 left to fill for a big body.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Now sure if anyone here watched the final WB Mason coaches report with JAM that came out last week, but JAM talked a lot about Sabety and Powers. He claims that no team will want to press us next year because of the type of player that Powers is.
garyg

Post by garyg »

What did he have to say about Sabety, next years team?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Polito, I was thinking the same thing this weekend about Keatts to VCU. Once I heard Pitt hired the Vandy coach, and Vandy was interested in VCU coach, I said the perfect fit for VCU would be Keatts. Talk about havoc, he presses for 40 minutes, seems like a perfect marriage. But we won't get too ahead of ourselves.

As for our recruiting, I agree with most here. One more wing, preferably a 4 year guy. Seems like Ford would fit the bill. Then I would look for a bigger guard or best player available and leave the last scholly for next year or for a last minute grad transfer.

Speaking of recruits, our prized recruit, Elijah Pemberton, was selected to play in the regional Jordan brand classic and will also be on CBS for the National HS Slam Dunk Contest in Houston on Sunday..

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/lat ... assic.html

I also found this documentary on Tyquone Greer from his high school days. I must say, you have to be extremely optimistic about the level of recruiting HU is doing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswbI6VAVeg
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

garyg wrote:What did he have to say about Sabety, next years team?
Joe is very high on Sabety. In an email to me he said we have two great bigs referring to Safety and the ROK.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, I watched that report from Coach, and it was excellent - many of my thoughts exactly - Powers is a talent, and he is extremely fast - he is the fastest guy on the roster IMO, will be one of the fastest in the CAA, with Buie being the quickest (and yes there is a difference) - he is a terror in transition and in the open floor

I believe HS will be a very valuable asset - he has D1 ability, there's no question about that, just to what level - JM is excited about him, and so am I

Of course all of this is black magic trickery to some on here who actually believe there's no talent on this team that is ready for next yr, to which I continue to say :lol: :roll:

That article on EP is awesome, GREAT insight to him and to HU - what a super honor to be selected for that, the Jordan Brand Classic is a major deal - I am salivating to see this young man rep HU on the national stage, and to suit up for the blue and gold - fella has big time potential

And I LOVE the part about his recruitment - awesome details to just how well-thought of this player is (P5 offers and interest), and how it all went down for him and HU - and I hope every little napoleon who ran their mouths about HU in this scenario, and prob still do, get a good looooong drink of this (the emphasis are all mine!):
The New England Recruiting Report ranks Pemberton ninth in Connecticut and 22nd in New England among Class of 2016 recruits. He was offered a scholarship to Kansas State as part of the 2015 class, but thought a year at CA would be better for him in the long run.

He verbally committed to William & Mary last September but had immediate doubts about the decision. Mid-majors like St. Bonaventure, Southern Illinois, Miami of Ohio, Delaware, Buffalo and others made offers, but Hofstra and coach Joe Mihalich received his verbal commitment in October.

Mihalich did a great job recruiting him,” Kehoe said. “He would come up on a day when we were lifting weights and say, ‘You’re our top guy; I want to tell you just how much we want you.” I never saw a guy recruit so professionally and so well as Mihalich did.”

East Carolina of the American Athletic Conference made an offer, too. Indiana came calling, but wanted him to red-shirt, something Pemberton does not want to do.

“He played it really smart because he could have played at a higher level, but he went to the right level,” Kehoe said. “My advice was pick the level where you’ll be happy playing for four years, where you trust the coach, where you can be most successful and where you’re most wanted.”

Pemberton’s New York Lightning (AAU) teammate Desure Buie was a freshman at Hofstra this past season.

That Indiana part though, whooo baby, HU got themselves a player! And THANK YOU again to Mr Buie for some fantastic player recruiting!
dutchalum01

Post by dutchalum01 »

Dooku25 wrote:Polito, I was thinking the same thing this weekend about Keatts to VCU. Once I heard Pitt hired the Vandy coach, and Vandy was interested in VCU coach, I said the perfect fit for VCU would be Keatts. Talk about havoc, he presses for 40 minutes, seems like a perfect marriage. But we won't get too ahead of ourselves.

As for our recruiting, I agree with most here. One more wing, preferably a 4 year guy. Seems like Ford would fit the bill. Then I would look for a bigger guard or best player available and leave the last scholly for next year or for a last minute grad transfer.

Speaking of recruits, our prized recruit, Elijah Pemberton, was selected to play in the regional Jordan brand classic and will also be on CBS for the National HS Slam Dunk Contest in Houston on Sunday..

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/lat ... assic.html

I also found this documentary on Tyquone Greer from his high school days. I must say, you have to be extremely optimistic about the level of recruiting HU is doing these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fswbI6VAVeg
Fantastic video - seems like a genuinely good kid with a huge upside. I cannot wait to see him, pem, ROK and Buie on the floor together.
Polito

Post by Polito »

So far I've seen *2* documentaries featuring Greer, very cool 8-) - he brings everything you want to see in a stretch 4 - can drain the 3, has a great mid-range game, a nice floater and turn around jumper, enough size and skill to bang in the paint, moves well with or without the ball, understands positioning and footwork, can slash to the hoop, create space/his own shot, runs the pick and roll, can slam with authority, runs the floor, and follows up shots/rebounds well - he's not going to necessarily blow you away with his speed or explosiveness after what happened, but he def has enough of it to get moves on defenders and put the ball in the hoop - he has a super feel for the game, and plays very smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1wu1Rsy60o

he put up 33 against Junior Saintel's solid Chipola squad this yr in Dec as an example of his ability and proof he's healthy - this kid can ball, he's a perfect fit for HU, and he's the day 1 starter at the 4 IMO

Land Ford with him, who I'm huge on, and that position is SET - IMO he's a true top prep player at the position, 1st team potential - he would garner minutes, and follow right in line for the starter role - he'll have the extra prep yr plus 2 yrs with Greer to continue developing/growing, and step on the floor a D1 stud his Jr/Sr yrs ready to impact - perfect situation for all

For you HUSID:

Per Rothstein twitter:
Drexel freshman Terrell Allen will transfer, source told @CBSSports. Three years of eligibility remaining. Averaged 9.8 PPG.
IF he's allowed to transfer in-conf, I'd say HU would be a prime target - would obviously have to sit, which would be great, and have 3 yrs left - if not, I wonder if he'll head to Columbia with his other brother

There are a TON of impact transfers hitting the market, great time for recruiting - exciting time for HU!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Yeah saw that, thanks, didn't have time to post. His father is Leroy who played for Hofstra in the 80's. DeMatha guy where Joe was... didn't know he had a brother.
daHUPride

Post by daHUPride »

HU87 wrote:Such a perfect signing by JAM and the crew! Lengthy and athletic stretch 3/4 who put up good numbers at a good program!

http://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2015-1 ... egreerobhb

Gotta respect grabbing a 6'7'' guy who can shoot 40% from 3 and grab 7 rebounds a game-- Great stuff!!
Me too - HU87 - love that type of player. Those athletic 6'7" stretch 3/4 are the players that these mid-majors are built on - also love that we are stepping outside our typical zip codes and getting players that might ripple out to more exposure. Interesting roster shaping up.