MBB recruits 2016

Forum for all Hofstra sports discussion
Polito

Re: MBB recruits 2016

Post by Polito »

I'm completely good with them bringing in another guard in this class, but the goal should be to RS

You want to talk about a go-to immediate transfer that could be fantastic for HU next season??

SAVON GOODMAN - just announced transferring from ASU, immediately eligible

I'll take him all day long - Philly guy, 6'6 220, can score, rebound, and play D - proven at a P5, could literally start at the 4 spot day 1 - then bring in another prep/hs/juco wing, and the position is set for '16/'17

Time to come back east, GO GET HIM JM!!!
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:I'm completely good with them bringing in another guard in this class, but the goal should be to RS

You want to talk about a go-to immediate transfer that could be fantastic for HU next season??

SAVON GOODMAN - just announced transferring from ASU, immediately eligible

I'll take him all day long - Philly guy, 6'6 220, can score, rebound, and play D - proven at a P5, could literally start at the 4 spot day 1 - then bring in another prep/hs/juco wing, and the position is set for '16/'17

Time to come back east, GAnd if not how many years does he haveO GET HIM JM!!!
Is he eligible immediately? And if not, how many years does he have????
Polito

Post by Polito »

Yep, confirmed, grad transfer

His game is more of a PF than a wing, he's physical and explosive, can handle the rock and drive strong to the hoop from anywhere - his only downside IMO is not much outside scoring, if at all - not his game, he's an around the basket / slashing / above the rim kind of player - so HU would still need to bring in preferably a prep/juco 6'7-6'8 Wing that can legit score from deep/anywhere

But interesting option - Goodman and Gustys on the floor together would be straight nasty - I don't think an opponent would see a rebound lol - would be a very different look for HU, a much more aggressive one, and I think a great switch - bring in the other opposite uber-athletic scoring wing to counter and this becomes one heckuva 'rebuilding' team

He will be a hot commodity though, I'm just talkin cuz he's a Philly guy, and I could def see him come back this way...
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Dint mind but donr be surprised if he winds up at a Philly school like Villanova. That id why I wanted Joe Lopez from broward CC. he is 6ft8 225 and would have two years. We have 3 other schollys available.
Flying Dutchmen

Post by Flying Dutchmen »

stuball888 wrote:Powers Buie, JWF, Pemberton, Bernardi and Robinson who are you going to take minutes away from. Do you think Severe would be happy with 20 minutes. NO THANKS! Add severe and you have 4 guards 6ft and under.
The way we play offense, there is about 140 team minutes per game for guards. How much do you want to rely on Pemberton, JWF, Bernardi, and Robinson? I think Pemberton and JWF will be really good, but asking them to play 25-30 mins next year will lead to more losses. We could use another experienced scorer.
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Goodman was at UNLV before ASU, and has a bit of a criminal history. I think based on what we went through a few years ago, we need players with clean records. Although if he cleaned up his act while he was at ASU, he may be worth the risk.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/18 ... l-program/
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Corey Evans ‏@coreyevans_10 39m39 minutes ago
2016 IMG forward Aleem Ford took an unofficial visit to Wofford today; he will take an official to Hofstra on April 8

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/statu ... 6242594816
garyg

Post by garyg »

Anyone have a scouting report on Ford?
Dooku25

Post by Dooku25 »

Cards wrote:Greer looks very interesting. highly recruited 3* wing (6'7") out of high school. Poor grades forced him to the JUCO route. Then at a party one night he takes a bullet to the calf (hitting all soft tissue). Obviously his bball was impacted. He supposedly is now back 100% and last semester was on the deans list at school. Might be one of those stories where the guy really is getting his life together (nice to hear). Anyway, before the injury his video easily shows why the guy had major offers....really athletic, inside and outside game. Could be a sleeper pick-up. We shall see.

I do like our recent efforts at going after the 6'7" wings. Saintel, Ford, and now Greer.
Greer will be in for an official visit this weekend.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Agreed on the baggage with Goodman, he's been around a bit, couple of different schools, so I agree he's not really the right culture fit for HU... but talent-wise he's a good one - he'll most likely get picked up by a big anyway

In no way do I want HU compromising on player character...at all...ever. Just can't do it anymore. I'd love to have the post-season play of Iona for example, but I do not want their program. Not even a little. Way too many 'fliers' taken - fine for them, not for HU - not after what happened - the integrity is the TOP priority.

Anyhoo, EXCELLENT on Ford - I really like this one, a lot, and I think HU has a great shot here. Prep player, love that he has the extra year experience but still around a full 4, plays for an uber program, plays with and against the absolute best of competition - he was stuck behind a 5 star for awhile, that guy got hurt and Ford stepped in and crushed it - he's a sleeping giant

Fits everything HU needs at the position - great size at 6'7, lengthy, very mobile moves great without the ball to create space/gain position/pick and roll, excels at attacking the basket, can hit the 3, handle the rock, shoot FT's, has a solid mid range game, comfortable banging around in the paint, rebounds, and can play D at most positions - and his game is still developing, big time potential

3 star, solid offers from Richmond, Rutgers (pre-change), Saint Louis, and a host of quality mids - interest from some P5s (GT, Georgia, Minnesota, Seton Hall) - I think HU and the CAA are the perfect level for him - should be a great visit
Polito

Post by Polito »

Wow, AND Greer?!?! Yeeeaaahh staff, make it rain with wing forwards!!!!

I'll take BOTH please :D :D :D
ProudofPride

Post by ProudofPride »

Caleb and Cody Martin are transferring out of NC State. I'm sure they'll have a long list of suitors and many high major schools to choose from, but perhaps Hofstra has a very slim chance since they're close with Rokas Gustys from playing at Oak Hill together.
RollPride15

Post by RollPride15 »

Rok tweeted at the Martin twins earlier and told them that Hofstra would be a perfect fit for them. Can you imagine? Would be the biggest landing in modern HU history.

My guess is they're looking for lower-tier P5 team that'll offer them 35 minutes a game.
Polito

Post by Polito »

Small chance, but it's not out of the realm of possibility - could work - they are both wing forwards/guards, and that is a obviously a HUGE need for HU

They will likely need to sit a yr, so even if HU lands a top JUCO in the interim, they'll have the opportunity to make their mark - it may be tough to get enough PT for both, but that's going to be the challenge almost anywhere they go because they literally play the same position - but it's doable - and a quality mid in a strong conf is a great spot for them to have the kind of college impact they've always wanted to

Highly doubt they'll be able to stay in the ACC, so the door is open - they're east coast guys, and as mentioned, there's a relationship with RG - it's slim, but it's not unrealistic at all

And hopefully this helps put to rest the fear about RG - trust me, I've said this a number of times, the big Rok is here to stay, #bleedblue all the way 8-)
Andersjorstad

Post by Andersjorstad »

Unfortunately I see the Martin brothers coming here as a pipe dream at best. If they wanted to go to a mid-major they would probably go somewhere with more recent success than Hofstra. The Pride have had two solid years but they aren't exactly world beaters. Sadly chances are probably better they end up at UNCW.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

i am thinking that uncw is going to have some trouble with kk and the ncaa......
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

When is that ruling coming down Dutchie. What have the rumors been.
dutchiedoright

Post by dutchiedoright »

as you know, the firm works on its own timetable......i'll bet the summer (slow news day) for a report....and, as you also know, the recruits validated the story.

so, either everyone is exonerated or it explodes....no gray zone.

"the cover-up is almost always worse than the crime......"
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

Polito wrote:Small chance, but it's not out of the realm of possibility - could work - they are both wing forwards/guards, and that is a obviously a HUGE need for HU

They will likely need to sit a yr, so even if HU lands a top JUCO in the interim, they'll have the opportunity to make their mark - it may be tough to get enough PT for both, but that's going to be the challenge almost anywhere they go because they literally play the same position - but it's doable - and a quality mid in a strong conf is a great spot for them to have the kind of college impact they've always wanted to

Highly doubt they'll be able to stay in the ACC, so the door is open - they're east coast guys, and as mentioned, there's a relationship with RG - it's slim, but it's not unrealistic at all

And hopefully this helps put to rest the fear about RG - trust me, I've said this a number of times, the big Rok is here to stay, #bleedblue all the way 8-)
Rok is going nowhere. I don't know where this BS comes from. He is heavily involved with many activities at Hofstra, is on the student council, etc.
HUSID80

Post by HUSID80 »

stuball888 wrote:When is that ruling coming down Dutchie. What have the rumors been.
All you guys seem to forget that the NCAA punishes the school and by extension the kids that are there. UNCW will not suffer at all and Keatts probably comes out clean...the NC State kids will not go to UNCW either