Hofstra Moves to Secular Calendar

Everything else
ProudofPride

Hofstra Moves to Secular Calendar

Post by ProudofPride »

The university announced that it will no longer schedule breaks to coincide with religious holidays. Hofstra has always given students time off for both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. This drastically broke up the beginning of the semester, and almost made it feel disjointed. However, it was a good way to ease into the semester. This also affects Spring Break. It used to coincide with Easter, but now will be right in the middle of the semester, and not planned to fall during any religious holiday.

http://theodysseyonline.com/hofstra/hof ... dar/256119
stuball888

Re: Hofstra Moves to Secular Calendar

Post by stuball888 »

Well this sucks. According to the article a professor does not have to give Jewish students off on Rosh Hashanna or Yom kippur. Can you imagine scheduling a test on these high holy days. To me this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Long Island has a high concentration of jewish population than say the midwest. To compare Hofstras student body to the rest of the country is insane. This is the progressives one size fits all mentality.
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Well this sucks. According to the article a professor does not have to give Jewish students off on Rosh Hashanna or Yom kippur.
I recently read an article in a Jewish newspaper saying that students are entitled to taking off on Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur according to state law.
stuball888

Post by stuball888 »

Hofstra is a private university. State laws will not cover this according to the article. State Universities might be a different story but private universities set their own schedule.
Jojogunne

Post by Jojogunne »

Two days off in October does not seem like much of a "mid-semester break":

https://www.hofstra.edu/studentaffairs/ ... endar.html
EvanJ

Post by EvanJ »

stuball888 wrote: Hofstra is a private university. State laws will not cover this according to the article. State Universities might be a different story but private universities set their own schedule.
I don't have a copy of what I read, but what I read included private universities. One of our sources is wrong. I will try to find my source.